Would you guys pass on Wilfork?I wouldn't.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you guys pass on Wilfork?I wouldn't..

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
First let me say that I'd be very happy if we got a WR and an o-lineman in the first round, providing we do have 2 picks in round one. Now lets think about this for a moment. Say we get a guy like Woody in free agency. We're set at LT(Smith)C(Seth)and RT(Wade). At least I think we are set at those 3 positions. If we get Woody then we're set at one guard spot. If Nails is healthy then we're set at the other guard, if not, they could go with Whitley or Yates or they could get a guy like Snee or Jacobs in the 3rd round. I actually like Vernon Carey in round one but if Wilfork is there when we pick I'd pull the trigger and get him. He's the best DT to come out of school since Sapp imo and Timbo and Chester have both been hurt in the past and Timbo's getting older too. One more thing, this defence is not as "great" as some people like to think and there're posters here who feel the same as I do. He's a play maker and we can use that.And one more thing, we lose O-gun then we need to get help for the D-LINE too.Again, all this is if we get help for the o-line first in free agency and if somehow Wilfork's still there.

So, how do you guys feel about this?

Ozzy rules!!

I would never pass on Wilfork, EVER!

I saw that boy bust through an O-Line and DESTROY a RB as he was taking the handoff. Best penetration I have ever seen a DT have. He is the real deal and I never want us to play against the team that drafts him.

I'm a huge 'Canes fan and love Wilfork; but he is no Sapp. He doesn't have the inside pass rush of a Sapp (in his prime). He's more of a run stuffer ala Ted Washington. I would love him if we didn't have so many offensive needs.

If Miami took him in the first, there would be a riot on this site, guaranteed.

I wouldn't pass on him...

This team DESPERATLY lacks an inside pass rush...Timbo and Chester are 2 premier run stuffers in the league..but they don't have the speed to chase down the......well.....anybody

I'd definetly take Wilfork if he was still available

but the question is would Wilfork ever fall to us at #20 and the answer is there's no way. sorry, I would love Wilfork but he would never fall to us

if we got him and he is down to 315-320 i think right now he would be one of the fastest in the NFL off the line after the snap he is going to be a pass rush and run stopper star you put him on the same side and JT which they are going to double he would really be unblockable in that situation going against a center no contest i have seen him get in the backfield before the QB had a chance to turn and hand the ball off when he was 345 and now he is in shape and ready to dominate

lets just say we get the OL fixed through FA and we get a pick high enought to take him and still get a WR would everyone be happy

hell yeah i would take him. the problem is, he won't fall that far.

Yeah I'd pass Ill be available for the 2009 draft so wait for me by then ill be 325 and run under 5 in the 40

Originally posted by HugeFinFan
I wouldn't pass on him...

This team DESPERATLY lacks an inside pass rush...Timbo and Chester are 2 premier run stuffers in the league..but they don't have the speed to chase down the......well.....anybody

I'd definetly take Wilfork if he was still available

Wilfork is not going to provide you the inside pass rush your talking about. He is like a Ted Washington or Tim Bowens, a big, strong inside guy who can stuff the run and occupy 2 blockers. Occasionally he can break through and get a sack (just like the previous two players mentioned).

His biggest negative is his speed and conditioning, he didn't even run the 40 at the combine.

Though I think he is an awesome player, we do not need another 1st round defensive player taken. End of story.

http://www.nflfans.com/draft/2004/showplayer.php?key=Vince Wilfork*

Interesting question. I believe that our tackle play is a weaker part of our defense. From the stand point that we are not collapsing the pocket very well. This makes us vulnerable to the big passing game ala David Carr, Brady, lasty year.

It depends on so many things. Specifically whatever else we do. If we made the moves you outlined, I would be okay with it. But okay if we didn't. I still say we grab Rivers ESPECIALLY if we have two picks.

i too was wondering about wilfork with the weight problem and all. i could see him drop kind of like Dwayne Rudd the LB when he was supposed to be great and then everyone passed on him like bad cheese.
I think spielman will draft whoever is the best guy on the board who falls into his lap if it is a position of need. Bowens has been asked to take a cut. theres a reason for that. Same goes for Safety, even moreso i think.

positions of need:

Everything really except RB (strange) and CB (madison?) oh and TE. oh DE (if Ogun gone)

I know he could be gone guys. I also think that if we get a high pick for Wally then he should be there. Like someone said, Wilfork and JT on that side and look out. And like someone else said, we don't have a push up the middle with our DT's and Wilfork would do that imo.It should be intersting and no matter who we pick, we'll never hear the end of it on this board one way or the other...lol

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom