Would you trade Blake Griffin for Dwight Howard ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you trade Blake Griffin for Dwight Howard ?

perfect1

Scout Team
Reaction score
Thats a tough one, but who will help win more games ?

Howard is the most disruptive defensive force in the game......Blake doesn't play defense. Its not really all that close.

Even so I doubt LA would consider trading Blake for anyone and if they did Orlando would be happy to take him. Howard may help a team win more games but Griffin is the more valuable player to the franchise.

Defensive forces at Center aren't even close to as important as they used to be. The talent at Center these days is a joke. With a more consistent jumpshot and free throw, Griffin will be the most unstoppable scoring force in the league. And unlike a guy like Stoudemire, he's a top notch rebounder, and one of the best passing bigs in the league. You can find defensive forces at center a lot easier than you can find a guy with Griffin's ability to score, pass, and rebound.

My opinion, but no. I think Blake has a lot more upside to his game. As R&R said, if he works on his shot, he'll be nearly unstoppable. Dwight I think is pretty much at or near his peak. Who knows, though....they might just be playing for the Clippers as teammate given that Dwight added them to his list of teams to be traded to. While not likely to happen, this makes the Clips new favorites in the west, imo, if this goes down.

I say no way. Griffin is a nice talent, but he doesn't play muh defense. I would keep a guy like Howard with his defense and his ever improving offensive game. You'll be able to find more Blake Griffins than Dwight Howards.

Defensive forces at Center aren't even close to as important as they used to be. The talent at Center these days is a joke. With a more consistent jumpshot and free throw, Griffin will be the most unstoppable scoring force in the league. And unlike a guy like Stoudemire, he's a top notch rebounder, and one of the best passing bigs in the league. You can find defensive forces at center a lot easier than you can find a guy with Griffin's ability to score, pass, and rebound.

I don't think anyone votes Howard for DPOTY based on what he does against opposing centers. In fact I think hes a fairly mediocre post defender. Howard receives the accolades for his help defense and the fact that hes the only guy in the league you can build a defense around. He led a top defensive unit with Turkoglu at SF, Nelson at point, and Lewis at PF....go look at what kind of defenders those guys were without Dwight backing them up.

Blake is in that can do no wrong phase of his career....post ascendency and pre breakdown. Dwight occupied this hollowed ground a couple years ago, and then people suddenly realized all of his faults. Unfair as it may be, the day is coming when its not all about what he potentially could be but what he is and more importantly is not, and all the missed free throws, lack of a post offense and non-existent defense will be brought to the forefront.

If Blake follows the path of most of the greats hes going to figure out how to defend eventually......it took Gasol, Aldridge, Bosh, Garnett and the like 4/5 yrs in the league and at least a year or so under a defensive minded coach before it started to click. But until he can stop people on the other end of the court I can't see him surpassing the likes of Stoudamire, Jefferson, and Love. Not too shabby company but nowhere near Howard.

I would trade Blake for Howard in a minute, but what do they do with Jordan after? There wouldnt be much left on the Clippers after Paul, Howard, and Butler, so the Clippers are better off with Paul, Blake, Butler, and Jordan ATM.

First and foremost, Dwight Howard is the better player, there is no disputing that.

That being said, from a marketing aspect and how he fits to the team, I would stick with Blake in LA. You drafted him, the media has grabbed hold of him and he can actually ball his azz off. I could see him and Chris Paul being in the Finals within the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom