Would you trade X for two first round picks? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you trade X for two first round picks?

What kinda question is that? Outside of a franchise QB any team should trade just about any player for that type of compensation.

When I do my job well I routinely push for raises and promotions.

I'm sorry you don't do the same. Oh well. At least your place of employment gets more profits. They must like you.
Did he really exceed the expectations that were set when he became the NFL's highest paid CB? I know he isn't anymore but he didn't get paid less last year or any other year. So now, when he's doing well, he needs more? He had bonuses in his contract and I'm sure one of them was tied with being an all pro. How much money do we need to spend on two CBs?

We need to keep him right where he is. Our defense is ascending, don't trade away our 10 interception guy, that's nuts. Add some key pieces to the defense to make it even better. X deserves a bump, 10 picks is serious business!

Did he really exceed the expectations that were set when he became the NFL's highest paid CB? I know he isn't anymore but he didn't get paid less last year or any other year. So now, when he's doing well, he needs more? He had bonuses in his contract and I'm sure one of them was tied with being an all pro. How much money do we need to spend on two CBs?
Is he the NFL's best corner?

Is he the NFL's highest paid corner?

If both answers aren't 'yes', then there's an issue.

I've never really understood the "Going back to the Well" mentality of these athletes.

So, the Dolphins make X THE highest paid CB at the time of his contract extension. Guaranteed $, etc. with the EXPECTATION that X will play lights out & deserve the contract he just signed. He signed the contract. Dolphins happy, X happy.

Then X get hurt & misses a bunch of games. Did X get LESS $? No. So, X finally gets healthy & makes a lot of INTs. Why does that suddenly trigger a contract re-negotiation? Is there a clause in his contract somewhere that we don't know about.

My take is: "If you sign the deal, play the deal". If he didn't like the contract the Dolphins were offering him, he should have played out his rookie deal, hit free agency and signed with someone else.

Let's keep it real. X is NOT a shutdown CB by any means. He gets beat more than he should for the $ he's being paid. Plenty of tape out there that shows exactly that. Feast or famine with him.

It's just as likely he regresses to his mean (i.e. injured and gets beat more than he should) as it is that he repeats this past season.

THAT's why if I'm offered 2 1sts, combined with his new contract demands, X is GONE in my book. Would much rather have the cap space and picks. Better to trade X now while he still has value rather than wait until next year & he gets hurt again and is worth nothing AND you have a huge cap hit. That is NOT how you build a long-term sustainable winning football team.

Maybe even Tua, X and next year's 1st for Watson...?

No. He gets paid what he is currently paid. He doesn't get less when he doesn't make Ints and is injured. He doesn't get more because he did. The arrow goes both ways not just up.
That's the problem. Some ppl don't want to see it from both perspectives.

In the case of @Kamelion4291 , he stated early on in the discussion he was 100% behind the player, and against the owner. That's fine, hecwould make a good, hard nosed negotiator, but it doesn't make for a reasonabe give and take discourse.

That's the problem. Some ppl don't want to see it from both perspectives.

In the case of @Kamelion4291 , he stated early on in the discussion he was 100% behind the player, and against the owner. That's fine, hecwould make a good, hard nosed negotiator, but it doesn't make for a reasonabe give and take discourse.
It's not that I'm against the owner. It's that with all the players on the team who are literally stealing money because they're so bad, the ire directed at the BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM for wanting literal market value just baffles me. People act like because we pay him a few million more to make him happy that our team is going to fall apart and that's where all of this lies. It's the selfishness of the fan. "How DARE he make my team 2% worse! He's a selfish ***hole! Cut him so we can make the team 10% worse! That'll show him, the greedy bastard!"

It's not that I'm against the owner. It's that with all the players on the team who are literally stealing money because they're so bad, the ire directed at the BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM for wanting literal market value just baffles me. People act like because we pay him a few million more to make him happy that our team is going to fall apart and that's where all of this lies. It's the selfishness of the fan. "How DARE he make my team 2% worse! He's a selfish ***hole! Cut him so we can make the team 10% worse! That'll show him, the greedy bastard!"
Then what good is a contract at all.

Like you said, owners are paying some players more than they deserve. That's exactly why it has to, in some way, balance out.

Look, if there was no cap, and no gaurentees, just a yearly free for all, do you think that would be a viable system? Of course not, so there have to be checks and balances for both sides.

Unfortunately it limits a few players' earnings, but it also ensures other players get their fair piece of the pie.

Then what good is a contract at all.

Like you said, owners are paying some players more than they deserve. That's exactly why it has to, in some way, balance out.

Look, if there was no cap, and no gaurentees, just a yearly free for all, do you think that would be a viable system? Of course not, so there have to be checks and balances for both sides.

Unfortunately it limits a few players' earnings, but it also ensures other players get their fair piece of the pie.
The contract isn't good because this is the NFL. They're garbage. X is going to want more and the team is going to also play hardball probably. That's just a normal Monday in the NFL. All my issues are with the fans siding with the latter with this mythical view that the players should be good little boys and sacrifice their own self worth because everything should be for a Super Bowl.

I knew it was coming in this thread and the other one as I've had the same arguments with my Dad a thousand times. I'm only responding at this point when directly referenced in these threads because it's just soooooo stupid to me. If Ju'Wuan James wants to be the highest paid right tackle or Tunsil wants to be the highest paid left tackle they can gtfo because they aren't worth it. If X is literally playing like the best corner in the league (and by the way, he has statistically even above Ramsey not even including his interceptions) then I see absolutely no problem rewarding him as such. Those problems are on like page 83 in a list of things to worry about when running a team. In a perfect world everybody on the roster plays well enough to want the highest paid contract at their respective positions.

What's even more amusing is that he's NOT EVEN THE HIGHEST PAID CORNER ON HIS OWN TEAM. Sure, cut Jones too to rectify that problem as I've already read.

Yeah, I see your point about having a surplus of draft picks in the same draft and having them all come due at the same time. I was thinking consecutive drafts if they got two 1s for X, not the same draft. If they were to trade X for early picks this year and next, they would have even more capital to move up or trade with another team for another player. I’m not sure I’m on board with moving X but it’s hard for me to not see the benefit of moving a player for multiple 1s. They’re just too valuable and offer so many options.

But, really, even in your scenario you could still theoretically have value in trading the player before their second contract. And you still have the luxury of a solid player on a rookie contract. But, I do see your point. Thanks for clarifying.
For sure. I love building through the draft, don't get me wrong. I just don't want to get lost in the numbers game of having too many picks. It's never a bad problem if you use them right.

I understand your point but we're quite far off the point of having drafted too many good players. If we sign a couple of RBs, we won't be extending them. I don't think it's guaranteed we'll have to pay Jackson, Igbo, Hunt or Raekwon big money either.
Certainly not. You're not wrong either. It's a numbers game and if you're confident in your ability to draft good players, I think you have to think this way. Again, just my opinion and observation of teams that have been successful using the draft. I think all those guys have talent. Hunt greatly improved, Davis as well, Igbo is a baby by league standards so he's a bit of a wait and see.

For 2 1st round picks? Buh-Bye X....I'll take the Ca$h & the picks
At some point you can't keep replacing all pro players, it doesn't work that way. You have great ones and build around them. Sometimes you have to say it's time though. I do understand that. I think we made that move last year. Cannot keep trading every asset and hoping to get better.

At some point you can't keep replacing all pro players, it doesn't work that way. You have great ones and build around them. Sometimes you have to say it's time though. I do understand that. I think we made that move last year. Cannot keep trading every asset and hoping to get better.
You can when they are injury prone and keep coming back to re-negotiate their contract. Move the player one year early instead of 1 year late....

I would trade Tua for one first rounder if the Dolphins could find a taker. Trade Tua and a second round pick to the Texans for Deshaun Watson seems like a good deal for both clubs.

You can when they are injury prone and keep coming back to re-negotiate their contract. Move the player one year early instead of 1 year late....
Don't disagree totally but eventually you lose because 80% chance you get nothing close to the player in return. Window is short in the NFL. Win now. This is the problem, everyone thinks this is baseball and you just keep rebuilding for 5-6 years. Not the way it works. The window is short and you need to be competitive with veterans now. Cannot keep putting rookies out there and trading veterans. Now's when we need stability. We need more veteran presence.

Back
Top Bottom