Would you trade X for two first round picks? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you trade X for two first round picks?

Don't disagree totally but eventually you lose because 80% chance you get nothing close to the player in return. Window is short in the NFL. Win now. This is the problem, everyone thinks this is baseball and you just keep rebuilding for 5-6 years. Not the way it works. The window is short and you need to be competitive with veterans now. Cannot keep putting rookies out there and trading veterans. Now's when we need stability. We need more veteran presence.

Jones, Rowe, McCain can be our veterans, just use #3 on Surtain.

The pick better be Top #16 plus another 1st next year.

Some team thinking they're gonna miss out on the top 2 corners.

Take one of the Top 3 WRs if available. Roll the luxury of having two 1sts into next year, again.

Clear lots of cap space for other FAs looking for contracts in this cap crunch season.

Take one of the Top 3 WRs if available. Roll the luxury of having two 1sts into next year, again.

Clear lots of cap space for other FAs looking for contracts in this cap crunch season.
i envision heads exploding at the mere suggestion of taking a corner at #3.......lol

i envision heads exploding at the mere suggestion of taking a corner at #3.......lol

giphy.gif

Of course the viability of a trade down is about the same as it would be were we looking for a WR, specially w 2 similarly top rated CBs.

That'd be crazy.

So many variables this year; Watson, Howard, #3, #18, #36, #50 and crazy cap crunch FA... so many possibilities to improve our team right now and our available resources for 2022 and beyond.

It'll be an exciting offseason for sure.

Surtain is a helluva player. Watching Devonta Smith tonight is something to see as well.

I might depending on which team and how those projected first round picks would look. A team like Washington or Detroit that I think is going to be bad the next couple years, possibly. It would be hard to say no.

The only reason why my head wouldn’t explode with a corner at 3 would be if it was Surtain, for reasons of him being a baller, and the last name, and what I think he could become, hometown kid...that said I would hope we would trade back if he was the pick, he’s more like 5-10ish.

And we would probably need to trade X and be comfortable with Iggy playing a lot of minutes. Both big “ifs” at this point.

I love Surtain though.

Personally I would not. It's almost odd, but take a look at the high caliber qb talent in the afc. And may as well add Lawrence to the field also. Right now we are behind the 8-ball in qb talent, as well as offense talent. It's not sexy, but our best option to compete is to strengthen the defense and make it elite. I also think it is good leadership to work with and keep players giving it their all.

If the reports I saw about him and he’s new agent are true about him holding out bc he wants to be paid as the top CB in football then yes I’d even deal him for a 1st and 3rd. We don’t need that kind of stuff in the locker room. We finally have a great culture established and we don’t need that kind of stuff in the locker room. X just signed his new deal what last year and he already wants to renegotiate bc his teammate makes a little more than he does? On top of that he’s already had the injury to a knee and he’ll be 28 I believe next season. Somebody correct me on that if I’m wrong but no way should we renegotiate his deal. If he wants to hold out I hope we deal him before the draft bc if those reports are true I’m sure somebody in our FO is aware of this potentially becoming an issue.

Id be more inclined if x is gonna demand jalen Ramsey money to looking into his trade value.

but considering byron jones didn’t exactly play anywhere near his contract and igbo didn’t show he was ready I’m less inclined.

we don’t need to be taking any backwards steps. 2021 needs to be playoffs. Period.

Jalen Ramsey got first round picks for him, but he's a different breed of corner

Not a different breed than X.

They both broke into the league in 2016. Ramsey has started 19 more games.

Yet X has twice as many INT’s and only 3 less passes defensed. Even their combined tackles per game is close.

In short, X makes more things happen than Ramsey does. People will say offenses stay away from him more. And maybe that’s true, IDK the target numbers and don’t feel like looking them up. But it doesn’t matter because when X is targeted, it doesn’t tend to work out well for the opposition.

X is every bit as good if not better than Ramsey.

FWIW, they are only 15 months apart in age.

I have always believed that you try and keep the best players on your team as long as you can. Howard is the best defensive player the Dolphins have, so obviously I would love to see him remain with the Dolphins for several more seasons. Yet I also believe he should honor the contract he signed less than 2 years ago. If he does end up holding out for a new contract while still having 3 years remaining on his present contract, I would have no problem with the Dolphins trading him.
I think they might be able to get one first round draft pick him but because of his injury history and the number of games he has missed since coming into the league. I seriously doubt the Dolphins would find any team willing to give up 2 first round picks for Howard. I think a first and maybe a mid to late round additional pick is the best they could do in a trade.
Hopefully Howard and the Dolphins do not get into a conflict over his contract and he will remain a Dolphin in 2021 and beyond.

The thing about X that I love is how he talks about how he’s having this incredible season and he’s basically just playing the same way he always has. His instincts are just better. The game has slowed down for him and he’s on another level. You can’t replace that. I don’t see him regressing. I do wish that we could get him on a conditioning program that can keep him healthy.

If X goes I have no problem with Surtain at 3, if he's here no way I do that as we have more needs.

Back
Top Bottom