WOW! 2021 Salary Cap Is Going Down. Perhaps Waaayyy Down. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WOW! 2021 Salary Cap Is Going Down. Perhaps Waaayyy Down.

I've been talking about this for most of the year... always recommending that we NOT sign FAs in order to keep our powder dry for this... and we did just that. We submitted lowish bids on every guy we looked at, and ultimately, did not sign any of them... even though our eager fans wanted mid-season acquisitions.

But now... it is time to shop.

Yes, it is time to get rid of Grant, and Fedg, and a few others... and the next step is the most important (AND THE STEP THAT IS GOING TO DRAFT OUR FH POSTERS NUTS). Step 2 is to pass on ALL (and I mean ALL) of the first wave of free agents. The second wave will be where we'll find the bargains. Let Jacksonville, the Jets, and a few other teams load up and gut their caps... because when everyone is out of money, then musical chairs begins and we'll find 10 million dollar players... for 3.

Step three is to look CHIEFLY at players who've been released by their own teams, rather than players on expiring contracts. These players do not count against the compensation formula... they really are FREE in this regard.

This is going to be LOTS of fun.

Consistency is a must, when you use labels like elite.

Using metrics from 2018, really don't matter in 2021.

With that said. Wilson has a career high of 43 rec. and 4 TDs for a season. Somewhere someone should be able to better those numbers.

Personally I throw a 3rd at the Chiefs for Hardman and see what happens.

Extremely legit points, but here’s the thing:

Wilson has always been either in an extremely crowded offensive system, coached by a buffoon, or injured/recovering (late 2018/2019.)

I don’t believe Wilson is the ultimate weapon for Tua. I also don’t believe he’s pedestrian.

I believe he’s worth a conversation in the offseason about a contract renegotiation, because I believe his skill set DOES work very well with Tua out of the slot.

Will he be worth $5mm in 2021 with a reduced salary cap? Nope. But he (probably) knows it, and his agent knows it. And his agent probably knows he won’t get that on the open market, either. Is he worth keeping at 3-4 mm? Probably. I’d certainly rather keep him than Grant.

Y'all are being short sighted on this. Smart GMs understand the cap will go back up and design contracts to reflect that. The NFL also wants their expensive players signed so they'll give the league some guidance as to what expect regarding future caps. Grier will be able to do what he needs, and top FAs will get signed.

Remember, the cap is down due to COVID. COVID will go away. We don't have to agree upon when but any reasonable person will agree it will. Revenue will then be back up in the NFL and probably much more over 2019.

Nope... all three make essentially minimum salary, so their replacements would make the same amount.

No net impact.

...my point is this: With the salary cap purge forthcoming, don’t you think better options will be available at that price?

It could be the league and players realize the economics they are facing and live with a short lived down turn in revenue, inorder to regain the long term betterment of the league. I don't anticipate long term contracts for the teams who are struggling. The teams with huge amount of cap space will probably scoop up all the higher priced players. If I was a betting man, I'd bet the cap stays flat at $190m for the 2021 season. Because the reduced rate will cause too much chaos and you can bet the players aren't liking the prospects of reduced salaries. JMO

Back
Top Bottom