Wow! Elton Brown........ | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wow! Elton Brown........

I think our O-line is kind of a mess at the moment.

We don't know which position anyone is going to play apart from Stockar McDougle and we are still wanting to draft O lineman. I hope it all gets cleaned up in TC and that we know who is playing where and who is there for depth because it's rattling my brain at the moment.

Is Stockar guaranteed to start? We only gave him a 1 year deal so it doesnt seem like he is the solution to our line problems.

ItalianDolFan said:
well yeah, id rather him compete for the RG spot. Apparently Vernon Carey and Damion McIntosh are going to battle for the LT spot. I think Vernon will win it. Since Rex is too small for an RG, i think Elton has no problem making RG.

Actually, Rex Hadnot was 340 pounds last year. Unless you mean he's too short (6-2 ain't bad).

I'm not sure that Carey will win the LT spot. I think it's a waste for him to be out there. I think he needs to be on the right side somewhere. But this could simply be a case of the staff trying to get him on the field somewhere.

DonShula84 said:
Is Stockar guaranteed to start? We only gave him a 1 year deal so it doesnt seem like he is the solution to our line problems.

i think Stockar is guaranteed, i mean he is an excellent O-lineman. Yes he played for a crappy team, but hes an excellent lineman. Out of all the lineman we have, Stockar is the only one i can say will DEFINETELY get the start on opening day.

If he can't run a forty w/o getting injured, then he appears headed for an injury plagued career unless he can get his playing weight under control.

I bet he wouldn't have pulled a hammy if someone dangled a big box of donuts at the 40.....these guys shuldn't be running wind sprints with all that weight.
:yell:

ItalianDolFan said:
i think Stockar is guaranteed, i mean he is an excellent O-lineman. Yes he played for a crappy team, but hes an excellent lineman. Out of all the lineman we have, Stockar is the only one i can say will DEFINETELY get the start on opening day.

Excellent linemen? Excellent linemen don't sign for one year. He's a stereotypical underachiever. The guy has talent but never applies it.

VanDolPhan said:
Excellent linemen? Excellent linemen don't sign for one year. He's a stereotypical underachiever. The guy has talent but never applies it.

You can be sure that he better apply it this season or Saban will apply his size eleven to his ample derriere and he'll find himself outside looking in.

KB21 said:
....weighed in at 330 lbs on his 6'4.5" frame. While running his forty, he pulled up at 30 yards with a pulled hamstring, but his 10 yard split was 1.78 seconds. That's very, very impressive for a man of his size. That translates into a forty time of around 4.95 seconds. He completed all other drills despite the pulled hammy.

There is no wonder why this guy is the best pulling guard in the draft with that kind of explosion. I personaly feel he is the best lineman in the draft, period. I haven't seen one who has been better on the field than Elton Brown.

I'd love to see Miami get this guy and replace Jeno James at left guard with him.

Her is a insiders bit I found about him.

Elton Brown has had a rough offseason - first showing up looking like he was in training for the Nathan's hot dog eat contest at the Senior Bowl, then taking off from Mobile early, under shady circumstances involving an undisclosed injury. Given the chance to redeem himself at the Combine, Brown squandered this chance by showing up out of shape and not working out. While he can make up ground at his pro day (occuring the date of print, March 23), Brown's lack of motivation or anything tangible for scouts to judge has to be killing him on draft boards around the country. In the end he will probably not drop too far down the first day of the draft, due to his talent and great play while at UVA. However it must be noted that Brown had a legitimate chance at the first round given a halfway decent showing in the offseason. Unless he absolutely blows people away in Charlottesville, Brown will not live up to that draft potential; for that he has to be included as a player who's stock is definately slipping.

With all the signings of O-line players in free agency....it would seem over-kill to draft another one early. Unless Saban gets like J.J. and wheels and deals...I just can't see it happening. But its hard to say never.

I think it is a decent possibility, if he slips far enough.

Miami is focusing on a specific mold of linemen, which Brown fits. Vernon Carey, John St. Clair, Damion McIntosh, Stockar McDougle, and Damon Cook all have very common themes. They are big, nasty roading grater types. They are all 6'4" 320 pounds or more. They are all tackles. They all have the same issue with technique or work ethic.

The type of linemen we are courting for the system we are running and the coaches we have are by no means coincidental. Scott Linehan had the same kind of linemen in Minnesota. It's the same kind of O-linemen Hudson Huock has excelled at coaching his entire career.

If anything, Huock's ability to impress attention to detail and discipline is exactly what needs to be applied to these type of linemen to get them going. It might not work with all of them, but the idea that he can make more then poop juice out of poop is not unthinkable.

Brown was a man among boys in college. I once saw him wipe out 2 defenders on one play. Barring injury (or a mental lapse), he'll be starting opening day.

Back
Top Bottom