Wow !! The New Coaching Staff... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wow !! The New Coaching Staff...

If Shula was hired today you would predict 2 wins. Means nothing what you or I predict.

That dude annoyed me with his negative comments all year long, but I'm finally where he is. Not getting excited til we stop sucking

I'm with that train. Although, I'd point to year 4 rather than year 3 as the determinative year. My reasoning is that we are planning to tank, which is what a 3 win season would be, tanking. So that is a means to an end, with the end being an elite prospect at QB. Year 4 would represent 3 years of the Flores rebuild after the planned tanking for a QB.
I don't really understand what so many people refer to as "tanking". What EXACTLY does it mean? My thinking is that the coaches and players will be doing their best to win every game. I am seriously hoping for an explanation.

I don't really understand what so many people refer to as "tanking". What EXACTLY does it mean? My thinking is that the coaches and players will be doing their best to win every game. I am seriously hoping for an explanation.
My take is:

1. No big $ FAs
2. Purposely rolling with a sub par/ backup quality QB.
3. Cutting bad contracts to create future cap space.

Those things are all the domain of a GM.

Coaches, and players try to win regardless of the situation.

Well yes and no. Whether tanking works or not is a different story, but here's the skinny on tanking.

So the Owner, Front Office, and Coaching Staff really need to agree for it to work. But the idea is to lose to get a high draft pick, draft a great QB prospect in the great QB draft, and then start to win at that point. And those guys control a lot of the decisions.

The GM sheds costly veterans and institutes a youth movement, meaning there's going to be a LOT of young player mistakes. Then he replaces those veteran stars with low salary veteran role players who teach the young players how to work, and how to improve. Talent level, down, experience level, way down. The GM floods the roster with young guys with high potential but who are raw, meaning they make a lot of mistakes, and we lose lots of games.

The Head Coach focuses on the fundamentals having his coaches focusing on improving the individual player rather than the finer points of sacrifice and teamwork. The Head Coach plays those young players and lives with their mistakes, losing games. He also manages the team so that key players--like QB--are guys who just aren't good enough. It's hard enough to find a good QB, so if you don't really try, the coach has no choice but play someone who isn't that good, and we lose games.

If the Owner isn't on board, or the GM, the coaches get scared and abandon the tanking plan. If the Owner and GM keep assuring the coach that they are committed to him long term and he will get the opportunity to build his team for 3 years AFTER the tanking, they can keep the coaching staff committed to the plan. If they start to fear for their jobs, it all falls apart. Job security and confidence in that is key.

The players, sure, they're trying to do their best. But, they're not being asked to sacrifice for the team, or play a role that doesn't suit them, so they're maximizing themselves and their career, not the team. Without strong gameplanning from the coaching staff, without key players like a solid QB, NT, etc., the team loses a lot of games. Without veteran players to make clutch plays, defeat is inevitable … a lot of it. The players know the coach is giving them an opportunity to improve, and they make the most of it, but they're trying to become good, not already are good. The ones that improve, stay with the team when the rebuilding begins in year 2. The ones that don't, are let go .. but hey, they were given a chance that they otherwise might not have been given.

So that's the plan. Indianapolis started Curtis Painter at QB … and that ensured their tanking almost by itself.

Hope that helps.

I suggested bringing in Brandon Weeden. Great guy, but an almost lock for multiple turnovers, which, as we all know, results in losses in the NFL.

Tanking, which doesn't exist, means rooting every time something goes wrong in a game.

Can you tank riders honestly root every time we throw an int, fumble, get scored on? That's how you plan on spending your Sundays?

I get gut-wrenching chills just thinking about it. Is that not one of Dante's circles of hell?

It goes rooting for that Pats for eternity, rooting against our team for an eternity?

My take is:

1. No big $ FAs
2. Purposely rolling with a sub par/ backup quality QB.
3. Cutting bad contracts to create future cap space.

Those things are all the domain of a GM.

Coaches, and players try to win regardless of the situation.

Big dollar free agents on defense are totally acceptable as long as the QB is a turnover machine. In fact, you just can't rebuild an NFL team in one year.

Pay attention everyone!! Take a look at what the Dolphins have on the books after next season if they make the cuts we all believe they will make. Do it. It will affect all your lines of thinking throughout the process.

Dolphins have very,very, little on their books after 2019. They can definitely sign free agents this year to mega contracts. YOUNG free agents. 28 and younger.

The only free agents the Dolphins need to bring back are their ERFA's and a high tender to Brendel and a new contract for Ja'Wuan James for a crazy 5 years 43 million loaded with guaranteed money. They just have to do this one even though James is far from elite, he is however solid, and he improves every year. His run blocking improved quite a bit this last year.

When I post this I mean FA's of note. I would without any doubt at all bring back Cam Wake on a two year deal because he is still performing at an extremely high level and he actually has decent coverage grades in the few snaps he has played over the years. He IS a viable OLB in a 3-4. The guy just isn't human. Seeing Wake go over 100 sacks in a Dolphins uniform is good for everybody. This sad organization is desperate for some greatness to be on display. If the Dolphins do draft Lawrence and acquire a stud pass rushing 5-technique a healthy Wake could very easily make some history next year.

John Denney already signed and expect Caroo to be tendered original round and Nick O'Leary to be either tendered as a RFA or given a contract. He was a very good all around TE for the Dolphins last year.
Stephone Anthony should be brought back. He had his best year as a will LB in a 3-4. His coverage grades aren't bad. I like him as a convert to a 3-4 OLB. At the veterans minimum it is hard to go wrong. Good depth.
He may even bring something as an outside speed rusher with his 4.5 speed.

Travis Swanson played surprisingly well at center last year. Not good, but mediocre, which might see him as a depth signing. Kilgore and his 2.5 mil are gone. Maybe Bolden, or Gore???

I must say..............................if the Dolphins actually carry out the plan they indicated earlier, they are set up perfectly for it.

If they yield to the hype and go off the rails this off season, it will be a living hell for Dolphin fans for a long,long time.

Tanking, which doesn't exist, means rooting every time something goes wrong in a game.

Can you tank riders honestly root every time we throw an int, fumble, get scored on? That's how you plan on spending your Sundays?

I get gut-wrenching chills just thinking about it. Is that not one of Dante's circles of hell?

It goes rooting for that Pats for eternity, rooting against our team for an eternity?

So very sad to admit this, but......, hold on, I can do this........I am a Phoenix Suns fan. Yes, if you really love your team and no other, you can be happy when they lose, and lose, and lose, and lose ,and lose. I feel sick.

So very sad to admit this, but......, hold on, I can do this........I am a Phoenix Suns fan. Yes, if you really love your team and no other, you can be happy when they lose, and lose, and lose, and lose ,and lose. I feel sick.

As well you should.

Am I wrong when I say basketball is different- not that I agree with tanking (doesn't exist) there either- because there's only so many games you are gifted with in a football season?

When you play so many games and you're 11-47 with more left to go, i can see you throwing up your hands and saying fk it, just mail it in already.

I couldn't root against Heat. It would be more like deciding to look at the brightside, "Well, atleast we'll have a better pick."

Just to put things in prospective, I dont think tanking to get a 1st round QB is some sure short avenue to a superbowl. If that is our goal :)

Here's why I think tanking for a QB is a stupid idea!!!! Here are the qbs who were not drafted in the first round who won championships. You dont need a 1st round QB to win a championship, so why tank. If one falls to us in the 1st pick him. But why waste a full season for a qb and earlier picks. Why waste a year when there are no guarantees. It is a foolish ideas.

Tom Brady (6th round)
Russell Wilson (3rd round)
Drew Brees (2nd round)
Brad Johnson (9th round?)
Kurt Warner (undrafted)
Brett Farve (2nd round)
Steve Young (supplemental Draft)
Joe Montana (3rd round)
Joe Thiesman (4th round)
And the list goes on....

Just to put things in prospective, I dont think tanking to get a 1st round QB is some sure short avenue to a superbowl. If that is our goal :)

Here's why I think tanking for a QB is a stupid idea!!!! Here are the qbs who were not drafted in the first round who won championships. You dont need a 1st round QB to win a championship, so why tank. If one falls to us in the 1st pick him. But why waste a full season for a qb and earlier picks. Why waste a year when there are no guarantees. It is a foolish ideas.

Tom Brady (6th round)
Drew Brees (2nd round)
Kurt Warner (undrafted)
Brett Farve (2nd round)
Joe Montana (3rd round)
Joe Thiesman (4th round)
And the list goes on....
Like the saying goes, "It's not where you pick, it's who you pick".

Tom Brady (6th round)
Drew Brees (2nd round)
Kurt Warner (undrafted)
Brett Farve (2nd round)
Joe Montana (3rd round)
Joe Thiesman (4th round)
And the list goes on....

That's an impressive list and a compeling stance.

If you really want a guy at the top, you take him and let the chips fall where they may. Everyone is a who knows.

The best odds are supposedly at the top.

That's an impressive list and a compeling stance.

If you really want a guy at the top, you take him and let the chips fall where they may. Everyone is a who knows.

The best odds are supposedly at the top.
Not supposedly, historically, and that goes for every position, not including ST.

Some of that may be that top picks get more opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom