WR Battles in Camp | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Battles in Camp

If the 5th wasn't going to be Matthews, he'd have been released by now. Unless one of the lesser knowns truly emerges as a big talent, the fight is really only over who is going to be #6 and who is going to make the practice squad.

That would be a terrible strategy. If Miami wants to try to get something for Matthews they'll showcase him in the preseason and hope another team has an injury at WR and comes calling. The last thing you want to do is just release Matthews right now for nothing...unless his attitude is so detrimental to the WR room, in that case you let him go but we're not at that point yet. You certainly don't want him latching on to someone in the division so he can share knowledge of the team. Worst comes to worse you trade him to a team for a conditional 7th round pick just to make sure he stays out of the division.

Unless Matthews shows up with a bad attitude its hard to imagine him losing his spot. He runs the slant route too good to be replaced that easy, and we love that route in this offense.

The guy just needs to stop being knucklehead. It's surprising that he's still fighting for roster spots at this point in his career.

Seems like 5 and 6 are a total crapshoot right now. Who knows if one of these guys will step up. I'd guess Hazel and one of the UDFA with Matthews gone.

Unless Matthews shows up with a bad attitude its hard to imagine him losing his spot. He runs the slant route too good to be replaced that easy, and we love that route in this offense.

The guy just needs to stop being knucklehead. It's surprising that he's still fighting for roster spots at this point in his career.

problem is though barring injury he's locked into the 5th wr right now...and that's not gonna fly for him...so i dont think you're gonna get a good soldier...

whatever miamis plan is with him absolutely take him thru camp and the preseason you are one injury away from him being a large piece or you could get a piece back in trade...don't cut him at this point

problem is though barring injury he's locked into the 5th wr right now...and that's not gonna fly for him...so i dont think you're gonna get a good soldier...

whatever miamis plan is with him absolutely take him thru camp and the preseason you are one injury away from him being a large piece or you could get a piece back in trade...don't cut him at this point

I agree, I just don't think he's in position not to be a good soldier. I mean really, why does he think he's in position to make any demands? He cant even learn a playbook.

Really hoping Jennings can come in and be a player/coach type veteran for us. That could go a long way for us.

1. Parker
2. Jennings / Stills will compete
3. Landry
4. Jennings / Stills
5. Mathews ----- If Mathews even breathes the wrong way again . It's Hazel's Job

The number of WR will depend heavily on TE and RB numbers, but since Philbin has been here I don't think they have ever carried more then 5...

Yea, that is why in the final category I wrote "I Fighting for #5 and probably #6." Even though I agree with you that it will probably be 5, I have a felling this year they may actually go with 6 considering the talent will fall higher on the receiver position then TE and RB. Probably not, too much of a luxury, but I definitely can't see them going with just 4 though.

Unless one of the FA's steps up big I think Matthews and Hazel will be impossible to beat for the 5 and 6. I like the leadership that Jennings will bring but I wish we hadn't signed him just for the opportunity to get one of these taller guys on the roster. We have two FA's that are 6'3", one that is 6'4", and one that is 6'5". Something about Byrd is intriguing. I feel we keep 6 on the 53 and hope to hide one or two on the PS.

Unless one of the FA's steps up big I think Matthews and Hazel will be impossible to beat for the 5 and 6. I like the leadership that Jennings will bring but I wish we hadn't signed him just for the opportunity to get one of these taller guys on the roster. We have two FA's that are 6'3", one that is 6'4", and one that is 6'5". Something about Byrd is intriguing. I feel we keep 6 on the 53 and hope to hide one or two on the PS.

not sure why Hazel or Matthews would be impossible to beat out.
Hazel couldn't make the team last year

not sure why Hazel or Matthews would be impossible to beat out.
Hazel couldn't make the team last year

Yeah, I personally think Matt Hazel might be a bust. As a 6th rd draft pick out of small school Coastal Carolina, the criticism about him was that he "hears footsteps" and "alligator arms appear in traffic".

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-hazel?id=2543792

In his brief time with Miami, he's been knocked out a few times in practice and in a preseason game. My gut feeling is that he may never get used to the physicality of the NFL, and the footsteps in his head may never go away.

I like this kid Tyler McDonald.. Hopefully he can beat Matthews in camp

The kid was allegedly tearing up rookie minicamp. Also look out for Michael Pristine. The tallest of them all. Overall, am very happy with our WRs situation. the best Tannehill has ever had.

I dont understand how you have Wrs playing special teams outside of returns. I want safeties and corners on ST, and leaving the Wr core dedicated to the offense. If we roll with 6 im hoping Hazel and mattews make it.

Yeah, I personally think Matt Hazel might be a bust. As a 6th rd draft pick out of small school Coastal Carolina, the criticism about him was that he "hears footsteps" and "alligator arms appear in traffic".

In his brief time with Miami, he's been knocked out a few times in practice and in a preseason game. My gut feeling is that he may never get used to the physicality of the NFL, and the footsteps in his head may never go away.

By very definition a 6th roundet pick cannot be a bust

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

I dont understand how you have Wrs playing special teams outside of returns. I want safeties and corners on ST, and leaving the Wr core dedicated to the offense. If we roll with 6 im hoping Hazel and mattews make it.
The 5th and 6th receivers are not doing anything else on game day, so they better be good on special teams.

6th round pick? bust? :err:

Back
Top Bottom