WR Battles in Camp | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Battles in Camp

6th round pick? bust? :err:

It's quicker & simpler to type "I think Matt Hazel might be a bust"

Than to type out "I don't think Matt Hazel will have a very productive NFL career"

I'm not saying he'll be a huge bust, like 1st rd picks like Ryan Leaf. I just think he'll eventually go down as a failed draft pick. So whatever you want to call it.

So if we invest a draft pick, and it doesn't work out, "Bust" is an easy, short simple term to use. Invest a 1st rd draft pick and it fails, it's a big bust. Invest a 6th rd draft pick and it fails, and it's a small bust.

It's quicker & simpler to type "I think Matt Hazel might be a bust"

Than to type out "I don't think Matt Hazel will have a very productive NFL career"

I'm not saying he'll be a huge bust, like 1st rd picks like Ryan Leaf. I just think he'll eventually go down as a failed draft pick. So whatever you want to call it.

So if we invest a draft pick, and it doesn't work out, "Bust" is an easy, short simple term to use. Invest a 1st rd draft pick and it fails, it's a big bust. Invest a 6th rd draft pick and it fails, and it's a small bust.

if you invest a 6th round pick and he doesn't work out, it's pretty much par for the course. oh well, agree to disagree.

i say just cut Mathews and open up the 5th spot for guys that want it. He was a 7th rounder who really isnt anything more that a #4 or 5 so why deal with the headache of having him. Hazel with work will be better and he actually want to be there.

Parker
Landry
Stills
Jennings
Hazel

Looks pretty strong to me just put a couple of the UDFA's that were signed on the practice squad.

When training camps are over I bet there are several receivers on the open market that are better or have more upside than Matthews or Hazel.

Not sure Matthews will be highly sought after even if cut

I'm thinking that #6 would have to be good on special teams. This may also come into play at #5. Matthews has not been good on special teams so far.

i say just cut Mathews and open up the 5th spot for guys that want it. He was a 7th rounder who really isnt anything more that a #4 or 5 so why deal with the headache of having him. Hazel with work will be better and he actually want to be there.

Parker
Landry
Stills
Jennings
Hazel

Looks pretty strong to me just put a couple of the UDFA's that were signed on the practice squad.

Matthew is just looking for a chance to play. Who can fault him for that.

I understand Matthews position. He doesn't want to spend another year as Miami's number five receiver and barring injury the top four spots are already filled. There are some teams that I think Matthews could be a number four or maybe even a number three receiver. He just wants to play and I can't fault that. I think he feels Miami either told him directly or implied to him that he would have a shot at a top four spot, but after signing Jennings and drafting Parker things have changed and he's on the outside looking in again. The team is likely saying "we know what we told you, but we had a chance to improve the team so we did it. If your feeling got hurt in the process we really don't have time to worry about that."

I'm thinking that #6 would have to be good on special teams. This may also come into play at #5. Matthews has not been good on special teams so far.

at 5 and 6 you need a good special teams player because u wont have six active most games anyway.

Matthew is just looking for a chance to play. Who can fault him for that.

Then earn it with your practice and play instead of your mouth.You want to be cut or traded big deal. maybe if you had beat out Hartline or Gibson last year we would not have went all out to get new receivers. Matthews runs his mouth like he has proven something yet we went out and acquired three receivers better than him so that speaks more than his play.

I wouldn't worry about Matthews. He will be fine. He will be inactive on game day until someone gets injured. Then he will step up and try to seize his opportunity.

In the receicer room that will be Jennings and Landry leading with input from Stills and Parker following their lead. If Matthews mutters .... to whom would he mutter? None of the top 4 guys are going to fall for any crap. That's the beauty of this receiver room. Literally the only one I worry about is Stills, and I suspect he will be fine.

As.for playing time, Stills will play a lot because he is our only true deep threat. Parker has build up longstrider speed, but he isn't going to draw much safety coverage because of his speed.

Jennings can get deep but he isn't definitely drawing a safety over the top either. So, Stills will play a lot.

Jennings will rotate between all 3 positions. He was slated for outside in the Hartline role before we added Parker, but I think this year he will be our chess piece in a Nat Moore role.

Back
Top Bottom