WR Battles in Camp | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Battles in Camp

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk about the battle with our LB's this summer. And so it will be exciting to watch. But we also have an intriguing group of WR's that will be battling for roster spots this summer. I think the top 4 we can all agree on. Those are Parker, Landry, Stills, and Jennings. Beyond those 4 we have a group of players with either experience, size, or potential talent. It should be interesting watching them fight for a spot on the 53. The big question will be how many WR's will Philbin keep on the 53? His answer will be dictated by how well the rest of the group plays. Will someone shine in camp and make it impossible to stay off the 53? When looking at the below list we have a lot of height in the group which might be to their advantage. I bet we keep at least 5 on the 53. Will the 5th be a disgruntled Matthews or a potentially rising player in Hazel or one of the taller guys like Byrd? Thoughts?

LaRon Byrd 6'4" 220
Matt Hazel 6'1" 202
Greg Jennings 6'0"195
Christion Jones 5'11" 187
Nigel King 6'3" 210
Jarvis Landry 5'11" 202
Rishard Matthews 6'0" 215
Tyler McDonald 6'3" 190
DeVante Parker 6'3 209
Michael Preston 6'5" 213
Kenny Stills 6'0" 194

There's also a good chance the fifth receiver will be someone released from another team's roster at the end of camp. A lot will depend on Matthews accepting what ever role he has or Hazel's

Will the 5th be a disgruntled Matthews or a potentially rising player in Hazel or one of the taller guys like Byrd? Thoughts?

If the 5th wasn't going to be Matthews, he'd have been released by now. Unless one of the lesser knowns truly emerges as a big talent, the fight is really only over who is going to be #6 and who is going to make the practice squad.

5th spot will likely be Matthews, unless they can find a trade partner. If we can get even a 7th round pick for Matthews you have to take it. He is in the last year of his rookie contract and won't be re-signing after this season. Get something of value in return if you can. If not, he probably sticks as the 5th WR for this season.

Though I would much rather trade him and give someone like Hazel a legitimate shot at making the final roster.

With Ginn locking up the #1 and Booker getting up there in age, I see Greg Camarillo making a push for #2...

Oh ****, wrong decade. My how far our WR corp has come since Ginn, Booker, Camarillo, and Hagan. It's so nice that discussion on who makes the final cut revolves around the guy that will be lucky to average 1 catch per game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Ginn locking up the #1 and Booker getting up there in age, I see Greg Camarillo making a push for #2...

Oh ****, wrong decade. My how far our WR corp has come since Ginn, Booker, Camarillo, and Hagan. It's so nice that discussion on who makes the final cut revolves around the guy that will be lucky to average 1 catch per game.

Well, what about David Boston and Derrius Thompson? They probably will round out the roster :ponder:

It would be great if LaRon Byrd takes a step up, and takes that 5th spot.

At the 0:44 mark, you can see him torch Jamar Taylor for a TD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRmJdY9sGzo#t=00m44s

His measurables are great. If he can put it all together, he'd be another good catch radius weapon for Ryan Tannehill.

LaRon Byrd

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 220 lbs
40 Time: 4.45
225 lb Bench Reps: 15
Vertical Jump: 35"
Broad Jump: 10'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.10
3-Cone Drill: 7.07

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82141&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

I remember when Byrd was said to be the next Irvin when he came to the Canes.. He even grabbed Irvin's number.. He never turned out to be that great, but he flashes some things. Needs major polishing.

Projected starting WRs:
Greg Jennings 6'0"195
Jarvis Landry 5'11" 202
DeVante Parker 6'3 209

The 4th receiver:
Kenny Stills 6'0" 194

Fighting for #5 and probably #6:
LaRon Byrd 6'4" 220
Matt Hazel 6'1" 202
Nigel King 6'3" 210
Tyler McDonald 6'3" 190
Michael Preston 6'5" 213

Miami will probably keeps 6 receivers on the roster, so considering 4 are automatically on, the rest will be fighting for 2 positions, and ideally you would hope #6 could do a good job returning kicks, so of that bunch maybe one makes it to the roster, and at least one goes to the practice squad.

Unless they are able to trade his butt, I am afraid that player is the unhappy Rishard Matthews for one more year. :idk:

Unless Mathews is traded hes our 5th. Lock it up

The question is the 6th spot IF we keep 6

Well when your idiot GM trades Chambers and Welker in the same off season that's what you end up with lol

Projected starting WRs:
Greg Jennings 6'0"195
Jarvis Landry 5'11" 202
DeVante Parker 6'3 209

The 4th receiver:
Kenny Stills 6'0" 194

Fighting for #5 and probably #6:
LaRon Byrd 6'4" 220
Matt Hazel 6'1" 202
Nigel King 6'3" 210
Tyler McDonald 6'3" 190
Michael Preston 6'5" 213

Miami will probably keeps 6 receivers on the roster, so considering 4 are automatically on, the rest will be fighting for 2 positions, and ideally you would hope #6 could do a good job returning kicks, so of that bunch maybe one makes it to the roster, and at least one goes to the practice squad.

Unless they are able to trade his butt, I am afraid that player is the unhappy Rishard Matthews for one more year. :idk:

The number of WR will depend heavily on TE and RB numbers, but since Philbin has been here I don't think they have ever carried more then 5...

Matthews will get the spot and I think that's he right decision. But I'd still love to see Byrd grab the spot and start realizing his potential.

it's either 4 or 5 wide...5th wr likely has to play specials but with all these dbs we signed and likely to make it we may go the route of the dbs having a heavy specials impact and only carry 4 wrs...but if they carry a 5th mathews or hazel or someone elses final cut...tight end 3 make it lynch being the 3rd...rb 3 make it williams and ajayi

team may also view jordan cameron as a hybrid wr/tight end meaning they can line him up so many different spots and feel they have a mismatch carrying 4 wrs may be the best value to them...

Back
Top Bottom