WR Scouting Reports | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Scouting Reports

Lukin

Colbert '08
Reaction score
I thought this was of some interest.... One of these guys will be a dolphin. I hope.

82 Rashaun Woods Wide Receiver Oklahoma State
Year: Sr Height: 6-2 Weight: 192 40: 4.49 Hometown: Oklahoma City, OK
Positives: Woods is a complete receiver. He runs excellent routes. Has great hands. Makes big plays. Adjust to the ball well. Goes and gets the ball. Is not afraid of contact. Gets great separation from his man. Quick and makes people miss. Picks up all the yards he can after the catch. Very consistent and reliable. Finds a way to get open. Can go deep or run the possession route.

Negatives: Needs to improve on his downfield blocking as he has not been expected to do much of that. Is not a burner but does have solid speed.

Bottom Line: Woods is one of the top senior receivers in this draft. He should go anywhere in round one depending on the underclassmen who declare. Should be in the NFL for a long time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Lee Evans Wide Receiver Wisconsin
Year: Sr Height: 5-10 Weight: 196 40: 4.43 Hometown: Bedford, OH
Positives: Lee is a big play wide out. Big time deep threat. Has great speed and very solid hands. Makes plays. Strikes fear all over the field for opposing defenders. Seems to have recovered from a knee injury. Very smart and aware of what is going on. Gets open. Sneaks by his man. Always reliable to get to the ball. Makes nice catches. Quick and can do a lot after he catches the ball.

Negatives: Questions on weather he can be much of a possession type in the NFL or is he just your typical go deep threat. Had a bad knee injury in 2001 that made him sit out the season. Playing for a run first offense in college.

Bottom Line: Lee's speed and ability to go deep have NFL scouts keeping close in tune. He should go anywhere in round one. His knee injury will be a concern, although he looks to have recovered very smoothly from it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Reggie Williams Wide Receiver Washington
Year: Jr Height: 6-4 Weight: 227 40: 4.54 Hometown: Tacoma, WA
Positives: Williams is a great talent. Has started and produced since his freshman season. A real star in the making. He has great hands and is a big strong target to throw at. Runs good routes. Has decent speed. Can go across the middle or stretch the field. Good at breaking tackles, and is a good downfield blocker. Has good balance, and is great at picking up extra yardage after catching the ball. A work horse who should be a big time NFL receiver and catch a lot of passes before his days are done. Coming out as a junior, he is ready to make the jump. Very talented and has developed into a fine wide receiver.

Negatives: Not a blazer, which could make him more of a possession type of wide receiver in the NFL. In college he could stretch the field with size and average speed; might find it harder to do in the NFL. Has had ankle trouble.

Bottom Line: Williams is a top notch talent. He should go in the top ten. Probably the first or second wide receiver taken in the draft. The sky is the limit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 Michael Clayton Wide Receiver Louisiana State
Year: Jr Height: 6-4 Weight: 205 40: 4.48 Hometown: Baton Rouge, LA
Positives: Clayton has the ideal height for an NFL wide receiver. He's been extremely productive in all three of his collegiate seasons, amassing 78 receptions, 1079 yards, and 10 TD's in his final year. No other SEC wide receiver had 1,000 yards. Not the type of player who produces tremendously in 3-4 games and sparsely in the other 7-8. Clayton is fundamentally sound and possesses good all-around skills. He is very willing to catch passes over the middle, take tough shots, and run precise routes. Quick off the line of scrimmage, and can come up with some spectacular catches. Reliable hands. Demonstrated in the Sugar Bowl that he is a terrific blocker in the run game. Clayton is not a particularly exuberant receiver, and has always been praised for his strong work habits.

Negatives: He is not quite rail-thin, but Clayton must bulk up to succeed in the NFL. His body needs to catch up with his willingness to catch punishing balls across the middle in the intermediate area. Although his speed is very respectable, Clayton is not a burner.

Bottom Line: Michael Clayton is a very good NFL wide receiver prospect. His overall game is sound, as he is productive, makes tough grabs, possesses terrific hands, and is an outstanding run-blocker. He'll be hurt by his skinny frame and lack of tremendous speed in relation to other top prospects. He won't end up in the absolute elite class of NFL wideouts, but Clayton will be a quality #1 target for the majority of his career. Draft projection: mid-late round one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 Michael Jenkins Wide Receiver Ohio State
Year: Sr Height: 6-5 Weight: 215 40: 4.48 Hometown: Tampa, FL
Positives: Great size/speed combination for a receiver. A clutch receiver who makes his catches count with game winning scores or critical first down grabs. Has good hands and body control while adjusting to the ball in the air. Does a good job of slipping tackles and making something happen after the catch. Has size and strength to beat the jam off the line. Doesn't mind throwing a block downfield. Has experience returning punts.

Negatives: Plays in a run-first offense and doesn't get a lot of opportunities to showcase his talent. His route running needs some work; his cuts are neither crisp nor quick. Has small lapses in concentration where he'll look upfield before making the catch and drops the ball.

Bottom Line: Jenkins is one of the better senior receivers in this class and has a great size/speed combo. His lack of overwhelming productivity could make him slip a little bit. In the right situation with the right coaching staff, he could be a really big-time player. I expect him to go late in round one or early round two depending on who declares and how well he times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami should trade down, get an extra pick and draft Rashaun Woods..

Rashaun Woods ran a 4.6 40 at the combine. His stock should drop.

PROJECTION:

San Francisco 49ers

Round 1, Pick 16

Dilip Vishwanat/TSN

School: Wash.
Position: WR
Overall: 8.4
NFL Comparison:
David Boston, Chargers
Positional rankings:
...all WR rankings

REGGIE WILLIAMS MEASURABLES
Height: 6-3 Weight: 229
40-yard dash: 4.50 10-yard dash:
20-yard shuttle: 60-yard shuttle:
Broad jump: 0-0 225 lb. bench:
3-cone drill: Vertical jump: 0
Wonderlic: 20-yard dash:

Player evaluation:
Reggie Williams
War Room analysis
Hands: Sometimes runs before securing the ball, dropping easy passes. Otherwise, has big, soft hands and is not afraid to catch passes over the middle. Shows strong hands, and makes a lot of tough catches in traffic. Catches passes at the highest point. Grade: 8.6

Patterns: Shows good initial quickness for his size, and reaches top speed faster than most big receivers. Uses big body to shield defenders. Is not afraid to go over the middle. Has the acceleration and size to get good separation on intermediate routes. Cuts surprisingly smooth and crisp. Lacks elite speed. Can't simply run past defenders like Randy Moss (Vikings). Remains a downfield weapon and on fade routes in the red zone because of great size, long arms, good leaping ability and excellent body control. Grade: 8.7

Run after catch: Is not a huge threat after the catch, but is tough to tackle and is a fluid runner who reaches top speed quickly. Is a tough runner with good size and adequate speed. Shows good quickness for his size, and shows some initial burst after the catch. Shows great vision in the open field. Makes solid cuts, and knows how to get a good angle against defenders by working against the grain. Is smooth and deceptively fast in the open field. Grade: 8.5

Release: Should not have many problems in this area. Is tough to jam because of his size and initial quickness. Has a decent array of moves to escape press coverage. Shows good burst to separate quicker than most big receivers. Is a tough, physical player who uses his frame and upper-body strength to push around cornerbacks. Grade: 8.9

Blocking: Is adequate in this area. Has the size and strength to become a dominating blocker, but doesn't always work hard at it. Grade: 8.3

Bottom line: Williams has terrific size and impressive quickness. He reaches top speed faster than most big receivers and shows excellent body control. Williams is a threat to score from any point on the field and on any route. He must refine his route-running skills and learn to better pluck the ball out of the air at full speed, especially on quick slants. But Williams is a terrific athlete with the size and playmaking skills to develop into a No. 1 receiver in the NFL. Williams, a junior, should be one of the top two or three receivers drafted.

Dan Pompei analysis
Big, tough, strong receiver who goes and gets the ball. Refined player with reliable hands. Not a burner. No. 3 on Pompei's WR rankings

Man would I love this guy to be there a great fit oppisite of chambers

i also think that reggie williams would a wonderul wideout. he would be an ideal complement to chambers.

I think Reggie Williams is overated. He had around a 12 Yard per catch average which is not that great. I prefer the Fins drafting Lee Evans or Rashaun Woods.

Originally posted by MARLINSFAN305
I think Reggie Williams is overated. He had around a 12 Yard per catch average which is not that great. I prefer the Fins drafting Lee Evans or Rashaun Woods.
If anything, I think he's underrated. The guy caught 89 balls for 1100+ yds.

Keep in mind that his team (Washington) was playing some of the top teams and defenses in college football. When he played against USC he had 9 catches for 115 yds and a TD. Against Ohio State he had 10 catches for 107 yds. Against UCLA, another 10 reception 100+ yd, 1 TD game.

The guy is something special. I think he's even better than Roy Williams.

Williams might have a problem with the way we run our offense. Washington throws the ball about 40+ times a game and which left no room for solid run game(thats why his numbers are so high). He wants the ball every down and gets upset when he is left out. He also has problems with other players on his team because his so confident he becomes ****y and arrogant. Don't get me wrong I would like to see him wear Dolphins' jersey but those are just some things to consider.

Also something to consider is that Spielman's pet peeve is players who won't run at the NFL combine for any reason other than injury, and Williams has refused to run simply because he wants to get below 225 lbs before he runs the 40 and has been too lazy thus far to get below 225 lbs

On WFAN up here in the tri-state area

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
Miami should trade down, get an extra pick and draft Rashaun Woods..

Rashaun Woods ran a 4.6 40 at the combine. His stock should drop.

They said Woods ran a sub 4.5 forty and his stock will rise in the draft. so which one is it?

I had heard he impressed during drills at the combine, but didnt hear anything about him running below a 4.5

That's what I hate about these reports

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I had heard he impressed during drills at the combine, but didnt hear anything about him running below a 4.5

and the events leading up to the draft for that matter, On one hand you have Mad Dog saying that there's no way in hell Miami takes rivers if he's on the board at 20, but the other Mad Dog (Chris Russo) and (Mike Francessa) up here in NYC/NJ and the guest they had on (sorry don't recall his name) said wanny and co. are so impressed with rivers that they would most definetly take him if he's available. They also went on to say that SD is trying to trade down, becasue they like Rivers so much that they feel they can get him at say the #10 spot and get more bodies from this draft. They did go as far to say that Woods performance at the combine and the fact that he ran a sub 4.5 40 made his stock significantly rise in the draft, talking top 10 pick. So any draft guru's or persons familiar with the results of the combine thus far, please let me know what's the deal.

Back
Top Bottom