WR/TE/RB vs. Scheme/Coaching/QB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR/TE/RB vs. Scheme/Coaching/QB

VaPhinatic

Active Roster
Reaction score
I came the realization last night that I have no idea who the TEs are for Seattle. Not sure they were ever mentioned during the game. Then I started thinking about the skill position players in the Super Bowl:

Seattle Skill Positions: Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse Ricardo Lockette, and Chris Matthews TE: Zach Miller and Luke Wilson RBs: Marshawn Lynch and Robert Turbin
NE Skill Positions: Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, and Brandon LaFell TE: Gronkowski and Tim Wright RBs: Blount, Shane Vereen, and Stevan Ridley

Not one bona fide star wide receiver in the game. One Star TE. One Star RB. TWO star quarterbacks.

I read on here how we need a tall receiver or big TE or a certain RB. Maybe we just need better schemes and play calling. Watching Seattle and NE play a chess match by taking advantage of mismatches (Matthews vs. Arrington, Gronkowski on ANY LB, Lynch and Vereen on LBs, NE taking away Matthews with Browner in the second half, etc.) was eyeopening though not surprising. Can Philbin come up with these types of game plans and in-game adjustments? Can Tannehill be the trigger man like Brady and Wilson to take advantage of mismatches?

I believe we can win with the offensive players that we have right now. Don't break the bank in free agency. We need to fix/finish the Oline, add a big RB for short yardage and tough yards then spend the rest of the time fixing the defense (Dline and Linebackers).

We absolutely need a big target. Both Seattle and NE got big plays out of big targets Matthews (6'5) and Gronk (6'7)

In 3 years in Miami, Tannehill's tallest starting target was in Year 1: Fasano (6'4)

A big target can only help... He's mostly had a cast of smurfs to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We absolutely need a big target. Both Seattle and NE got big plays out of big targets Matthews (6'5) and Gronk (6'7)

In 3 years in Miami, Tannehill's tallest starting target was in Year 1: Fasano (6'4)

A big target can only help... He's mostly had a cast of smurfs to work with.

We should try to develop Dion Sims. He fits that big TE we need. He is surprisingly quick for 265 pounds and a excellent blocker. We have Clay for that seam TE. Sign Crabtree or Kenny Britt and that is our big redzone WR.

We should try to develop Dion Sims. He fits that big TE we need. He is surprisingly quick for 265 pounds and a excellent blocker. We have Clay for that seam TE. Sign Crabtree or Kenny Britt and that is our big redzone WR.

I agree, Sims needs to be more involved this year. But I think we really need to draft one of the big body WR in Round 1: Parker or White

I agree, Sims needs to be more involved this year. But I think we really need to draft one of the big body WR in Round 1: Parker or White

Can we afford to trade up to get one of those? I'd say stay put and hope one falls if not then go BPA or Oline and just sign Crabtree or the taller Britt. Eventhough, Crabtree is only 6'1 he plays a lot bigger and fights for catches. Dion Sims showed improvement with route running and seems to have reliable hands. He doesn't need to be a seam threat ( Witten and Gates aren't).

Can we afford to trade up to get one of those? I'd say stay put and hope one falls if not then go BPA or Oline and just sign Crabtree or the taller Britt. Eventhough, Crabtree is only 6'1 he plays a lot bigger and fights for catches. Dion Sims showed improvement with route running and seems to have reliable hands. He doesn't need to be a seam threat ( Witten and Gates aren't).

Where are you guys getting this from? Crabtree has one 1000 season (Hartline has two for reference), he's a career 12.5 ypc receiver, he's scored 26 TDs in 6 seasons (4 per season average), he always has some nagging injury and he wasn't even the go to receiver...Anquan Boldin was. If Crabtree was any good you think the 49ers would let him walk? With their receiving corp? Please kill the Crabtree noise.

I wouldn't trade up either, but if one of them are there, they should draft them. And if they are gone, I would probably draft Melvin Gordon or Gurley. A big back to take some pressure off the passing game.

I know the defense is on the verge of collapse, but I think our best bet is to build around Tannehill and make the offense the strength of the team at this point instead of trying to patch both together at the same time. The patchwork method hasn't worked out to well for us. Plus, it would be more exciting to watch high scoring losses than grind it out losses.

Ah, Kenny Britt, the classic underachiever. All the ability in the world, but the brain and will of a cucumber.

I agree bring Clay back, and keep developing Sims who is coming into his own.... but totally disagree with Crabtree and Britt... both will be expensive and both are issue players who have been disappointing out of college with their ability and potential, both havent done anything except be injured and not work for. Gotta go elsewhere for our WR

Where are you guys getting this from? Crabtree has one 1000 season (Hartline has two for reference), he's a career 12.5 ypc receiver, he's scored 26 TDs in 6 seasons (4 per season average), he always has some nagging injury and he wasn't even the go to receiver...Anquan Boldin was. If Crabtree was any good you think the 49ers would let him walk? With their receiving corp? Please kill the Crabtree noise.

+1

Crabtree has not lived up to the hype.

Toss in the guy lost 3 steps since his torn achilles.

Keys for success on offense. O-line. Tannehill continued growth and consistency. Better coaching/scheme. Any player can jump right in to the Pats scheme and make an impact because they have 3 things: Brady, an O-line, and coaching. Everyone always seems to be in the right place at the right time. They dink and dunk and get YAC, then Brady hits an intermediate pass that goes for 25-30 yards and then dink and dunk and isolation on the goal line. Nothing fancy. Out of Brady's 37 completions you could probably count on 2 hands the completions made more than 10-15 yards down field.

There obviously aren't only 3 keys to success, as this is an oversimplification. There a lot of models for success, but the Pats just seem to have the most consistent model.

Not the first time I've said this on here , but I will say it again: The NFL is a coaches league.

Order of importance:
1. Head Coach
2. QB
3. O Line
4. Red Zone Defense
5. Special Teams
6. Everything else

Back
Top Bottom