Wright In Second Round?/We Helped Shell

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/columnist/2005-06-22-inside-scoop_x.htm

Nothing too new for Manuel Wright, but I found this interesting:

Educators won't be thrilled to hear this, but becoming academically ineligible at Southern California is probably one of the best things to happen for defensive tackle Manuel Wright. Wright is expected to be chosen in the second round of the supplemental draft July 14, which is a much higher slot than had he entered the draft in April. Miami, Cincinnati and Philadelphia have emerged as the favorites to land Wright.
WOW! Projected second round pick? As much as I want Wright here, I hope Saban doesn't give up a second round pick for him. Please Nick, nothing more then a 3rd.

Also, look at this:
Ex-Oakland coach Art Shell still wants to return to the sidelines in 2006. Although Miami chose Nick Saban as head coach, an impressive interview with Dolphins management last December may help give Shell some consideration for any vacancies that open after this season. Shell currently works in the NFL's front office.
So even though the Diversity group complained about it being only a token interview, it looks lilke we have helped his appearance to other teams.

Nublar7 said:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/columnist/2005-06-22-inside-scoop_x.htm

Nothing too new for Manuel Wright, but I found this interesting:

WOW! Projected second round pick? As much as I want Wright here, I hope Saban doesn't give up a second round pick for him. Please Nick, nothing more then a 3rd.

Also, look at this:
So even though the Diversity group complained about it being only a token interview, it looks lilke we have helped his appearance to other teams.
If hes worth that high of a pick I say we get WR. Roscoe Crosby Two sport athlete from Clemson.

Nub that says 2nd round of the Supplemental draft.. surely that doesn't mean we give up a 2nd round pick. He wouldn't go that high in the normal draft :confused:

Whitedolphin54 said:
Nub that says 2nd round of the Supplemental draft.. surely that doesn't mean we give up a 2nd round pick. He wouldn't go that high in the normal draft :confused:

Thats exactly what it means. If a player is awarded to a team in the supplemental draft, that team forfeits whatever round used to select said player in the following general draft. If we "bid" a 2nd round pick for Wright in the supplemental and nobody bids higher, then we lose our 2nd round pick in '06

Whitedolphin54 said:

A pick used in the supplemental draft is taken from the team's available picks the following year. If we use a 3rd in the supplemental draft, we're really using our 2006 3rd.

josephreese said:
A pick used in the supplemental draft is taken from the team's available picks the following year. If we use a 3rd in the supplemental draft, we're really using our 2006 3rd.
Exactly. I am ok giving up a 3rd next year, but I want to keep our 2nd.

If he was in the draft how high do you think he would go-- I know we need a DT and i would be willing to step up a round to get him e.g. if he were 5th round talent I would be willing to give up a 4th

DEFINITELY! Tossing our valuable draft picks around like candy for questionable talent is what put the once mighty 'phins in the cellar of the NFL. We cannot afford to make that mistake again. Saban is no dummy though. A pattern has emerged in his dealings. He was very patient trying to deal the #2 pick in this draft for more picks even though it didn't pan out. He stuck to his guns against KC when they tried to lowball us on Surtain. He may very well be doing the same thing in waiting out Ty Law. Saban is the anti-Wannstedt and a very astute GM (I know thats not his title, but , IMO, he will call the shot on this one, not Mueller). He will not do anything stupid like giving up a top 45 pick for a backup player (a la Feeley). Wright is worth no more than a 3rd round pick based on what he has accomplished and what his potential is. Even that is a bit pricey. Personally I hope we pass on him since it looks like there may be a bidding war for him and he just won't be a good value in that situation.

After doing some thinking, i think that we should NOT offer a 2nd rounder and offer a 3rd for Wright.

I hope that we do add Shell to the coaching staff. He was on my top 3 list of HC jobs when we first started looking for a HC.

Whitedolphin54 said:
Actually they project him as a first rounder next year if he was eligible to play again this season. That's probably what has pushed up his stock

Back
Top Bottom