WR's Parker, Williams, & TE Gesicki a real threat for defenses to deal with | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR's Parker, Williams, & TE Gesicki a real threat for defenses to deal with

You know I understand cutting Wilson because of the cap. One idea that crossed my mind was using him as both a reciever/RB hybrid. Seems like a creative way to get him in space or on a linebacker while also getting the money's worth
Albert Wilson is getting old and ever since that injury he hasn’t really been the same. I say we cut Wilson, and draft Lynn Bowden from Kentucky who can do everything Wilson can do just more. Lynn Bowden would be a perfect slot Receiver/RB hybrid. Bowden can also throw a little bit he stepped up when the starter and second string QB both got to injured and played QB. Bowden ended up rushing for 1,468 yards with a 7.9 yard average per carry in the SEC. Dude’s a beast.

For the Receiver core I say

WR1 -Parker
WR2 - Williams
Slot WR1 - Lynn Bowden
1st off bench - Hurns
2nd off bench - Ford
3rd off bench - Grant

I like Jennings more than ford. I can't wait to see Gary in TC.
I was concerned about Jennings after being drafted in the 4th round and ultimately cut from Seattle. Even with Gordon and Lockett being off the field for a myriad of reasons. He couldn't beat out Mailk Turner and John Ursua. Ultimately Im glad we picked him up and will have an off-season of OTA's, Mini-camps and TC to see what we have in him. Side note, I'm actually a little more excited to see if Mack Hollins can get back on track after a fairly stellar rookie season in 18'....

Albert Wilson is getting old and ever since that injury he hasn’t really been the same. I say we cut Wilson, and draft Lynn Bowden from Kentucky who can do everything Wilson can do just more. Lynn Bowden would be a perfect slot Receiver/RB hybrid. Bowden can also throw a little bit he stepped up when the starter and second string QB both got to injured and played QB. Bowden ended up rushing for 1,468 yards with a 7.9 yard average per carry in the SEC. Dude’s a beast.

For the Receiver core I say

WR1 -Parker
WR2 - Williams
Slot WR1 - Lynn Bowden
1st off bench - Hurns
2nd off bench - Ford
3rd off bench - Grant
Not sure I concur about Albert Wilson and his post injury look. I thought he came out and looked pretty sharp considering his injury. But I do agree fully about Lynn Bowden. He shredded the University of Louisville in the Governors Cup. Low Key Stud.

Miami's Receiving squad this coming year is going to be insanely good if the Line is fixed, and Miami makes the right QB decision.

I understand where all that want Miami to pick a receiver early are coming from, huge list of quality receivers this year, and more weapons on offense, the better.

Problem is, Miami needs some quality starting O-Linemen, A quality starting QB, a quality starting RB, a quality starting pass-rushing DE, a Strong Safety, A Corner.

Can't expect to have an entire roster of possible all-pros at Receiver and TE. Miami ia going to have Parker and Williams, but could easily be the #1 receiver on most teams if each continue playing like they did this past year.

Gesicki quietly is becoming a play making TE that in the Redzone is becoming deadly.

I know many of you really dislike Hurns, and he very well may not be brought back, but he really cane on in the 2nd half.

Wilson in the last few games was starting to look closer to the receiver he used to be...if he even reaches 80% of that receiver in 2018, we have 3 dangerous receivers

Finally Ford and Grant each have a different skill set, but can easily both contribute more then enough to help Miami.

That's 6 good to very good receivers and one ascending TE...No reasin to go receiver early.

Miami's Receiving squad this coming year is going to be insanely good if the Line is fixed, and Miami makes the right QB decision.

I understand where all that want Miami to pick a receiver early are coming from, huge list of quality receivers this year, and more weapons on offense, the better.

Problem is, Miami needs some quality starting O-Linemen, A quality starting QB, a quality starting RB, a quality starting pass-rushing DE, a Strong Safety, A Corner.

Can't expect to have an entire roster of possible all-pros at Receiver and TE. Miami ia going to have Parker and Williams, but could easily be the #1 receiver on most teams if each continue playing like they did this past year.

Gesicki quietly is becoming a play making TE that in the Redzone is becoming deadly.

I know many of you really dislike Hurns, and he very well may not be brought back, but he really cane on in the 2nd half.

Wilson in the last few games was starting to look closer to the receiver he used to be...if he even reaches 80% of that receiver in 2018, we have 3 dangerous receivers

Finally Ford and Grant each have a different skill set, but can easily both contribute more then enough to help Miami.

That's 6 good to very good receivers and one ascending TE...No reasin to go receiver early.
While I agree with your ovetall assessment about the team having bigger needs, I have to disagree about "6 very good recievers".

IF Parker can stack good seasons back to back, that's one very good.

IF Williams comes back at 100%, he still inexperienced, but has the tools to be a good reciever.

Wilson is explosive, but isn't a #1, tough catch in traffic guy.

The rest, TBH, are justs jags, with Grant being suspect at best.

As a whole, we very well could have a great group, with their individual skills being complementary.

I think we need a consistent speed threat, slot guy maybe, to complement Parker and Williams.

I wouldn't spend big on a running back in free agency, but I'd love to find a big, bruising back. Agree with you that the line needs a lot of work. That line is expansion level, talent-wise.

The Dolphins extended Grant, Hurns and Parker. With PW on the rise, I don't see the Dolphins keeping Wilson at his $10M cap number. If he isnt willing to renegotiate, Id cut him, and use that money on higher priority needs in FA.

While I agree with your ovetall assessment about the team having bigger needs, I have to disagree about "6 very good recievers".

IF Parker can stack good seasons back to back, that's one very good.

IF Williams comes back at 100%, he still inexperienced, but has the tools to be a good reciever.

Wilson is explosive, but isn't a #1, tough catch in traffic guy.

The rest, TBH, are justs jags, with Grant being suspect at best.

As a whole, we very well could have a great group, with their individual skills being complementary.

NO, I'm not saying they are all very good, what I'm saying is if Parker and Williams can play up to their potential, these two are very good dominating receivers that can each take over a game, there is still the issue of Parker proving on being consistent, and not going out when just having a hangnail. As well as you said Williams showing more experience, and not dropping easy passes at times.

As for Hurns, Wilson, Ford, and Grant, each is a role receiver that is very important on teams.

Hurns though he was useless early, in the last 5 games he showed to be the type of experienced receiver teams need, by getting open at crucial moments, and making the catch...Wilson is not a #1 receiver, and to this point has not shown to have the same speed he had in 2018, but in the last 2 games he was starting to show the same ability to make the catch, make defensive players miss, while still showing pretty special speed (I believe he will be better in 2020 and will be Miami's 3rd best and most effective receiver)...Grant if he can stay healthy is a backbreaking homerun hitting speed receiver that all teams need to stretch a defense...Finally Ford just consistently makes plays, you can tell he has worked very hard to be the receiver you see today.

Miami is not going to keep 6 receivers (I believe between Hurns and Grant, at least one of them will not make the roster), Miami might even only keep 3 or 4 of those 6 if another receiver or two they bring in, out play the others.

Either way, I think a roster that starts with Parker, Williams, and Wilson, already is better then most rosters on other teams.

NO, I'm not saying they are all very good, what I'm saying is if Parker and Williams can play up to their potential, these two are very good dominating receivers that can each take over a game, there is still the issue of Parker proving on being consistent, and not going out when just having a hangnail. As well as you said Williams showing more experience, and not dropping easy passes at times.

As for Hurns, Wilson, Ford, and Grant, each is a role receiver that is very important on teams.

Hurns though he was useless early, in the last 5 games he showed to be the type of experienced receiver teams need, by getting open at crucial moments, and making the catch...Wilson is not a #1 receiver, and to this point has not shown to have the same speed he had in 2018, but in the last 2 games he was starting to show the same ability to make the catch, make defensive players miss, while still showing pretty special speed (I believe he will be better in 2020 and will be Miami's 3rd best and most effective receiver)...Grant if he can stay healthy is a backbreaking homerun hitting speed receiver that all teams need to stretch a defense...Finally Ford just consistently makes plays, you can tell he has worked very hard to be the receiver you see today.

Miami is not going to keep 6 receivers (I believe between Hurns and Grant, at least one of them will not make the roster), Miami might even only keep 3 or 4 of those 6 if another receiver or two they bring in, out play the others.

Either way, I think a roster that starts with Parker, Williams, and Wilson, already is better then most rosters on other teams.

Wilson doesn't have to be a #1 receiver to be valuable to the O. Ford and wilson ranked high in the slot. I agree, DVP, Williams, Wilson, Ford compose a good NFL corp. I don't see the value in Grant, but given the extension, I don't know what will become of him. I can see Miami going for a consistent speed guy, but I'm not certain it's high priority.

Wilson doesn't have to be a #1 receiver to be valuable to the O. Ford and wilson ranked high in the slot. I agree, DVP, Williams, Wilson, Ford compose a good NFL corp. I don't see the value in Grant, but given the extension, I don't know what will become of him. I can see Miami going for a consistent speed guy, but I'm not certain it's high priority.
I don't think Grant is the type of low character guy that just stopped playing hard after he got the extension, but he did take a nosedive after the fact. His value as a returner was probably as big of a plus as his receiving skills, but he started mishandling balls, so who knows what happens there.

I also think Wilson can make a contribution from the slot if he works on getting off the line against press but, generally, the slot position is more of a "possession" type role, as opposed to speed over the top.

I don't think Grant is the type of low character guy that just stopped playing hard after he got the extension, but he did take a nosedive after the fact. His value as a returner was probably as big of a plus as his receiving skills, but he started mishandling balls, so who knows what happens there.

I also think Wilson can make a contribution from the slot if he works on getting off the line against press but, generally, the slot position is more of a "possession" type role, as opposed to speed over the top.

Agree, but I'm not real impressed with Grant as a returner.

This board is wildly overeating Miami's WR/TE situation. Outside of NE and Buffalo, which playoff teams have an equal or lesser group?

Philly only after the inuries
Seattle maybe
Green Bay maybe

But, KC, Houston, Baltimore, SF, NO, and Tennessee all have significantly better targets.

Middle of the pack isn't good enough. None of the five playoff teams I listed as equal to or worse than Miami at WR/TE is a real contender, and three are already out of the playoffs, with the only win coming from Seattle vs Philly - in a game where DK Metcalf was one of the top 2 or 3 difference makers.

I hope Miami doesn't get distracted by immediate needs. They have the time and resources to build the team they want.

This board is wildly overeating Miami's WR/TE situation. Outside of NE and Buffalo, which playoff teams have an equal or lesser group?

Philly only after the inuries
Seattle maybe
Green Bay maybe

But, KC, Houston, Baltimore, SF, NO, and Tennessee all have significantly better targets.

Middle of the pack isn't good enough. None of the five playoff teams I listed as equal to or worse than Miami at WR/TE is a real contender, and three are already out of the playoffs, with the only win coming from Seattle vs Philly - in a game where DK Metcalf was one of the top 2 or 3 difference makers.

I hope Miami doesn't get distracted by immediate needs. They have the time and resources to build the team they want.
You have a valid point. I don't think it is overrating so much as the belief that there are other units that need attention more than WR.

It's no secret that this is the first season in a looooong time that we actually had a legit #1 receiver, so for someone to say we have a "great" WR corps is disingenuous, or homerism wishful thinking.

On the other hand, it's not unreasonable to have the opinion that there are greater needs.

Back
Top Bottom