WTF? According to Reggie, Daboll's implementing a WCO style | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WTF? According to Reggie, Daboll's implementing a WCO style

MexDolfan

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I has been a frenetic defender of "give them space to work" policy, but I'm shocked of what Reggie Bush expressed to Omar Kelly.
Bush said sitting out practice has allowed him to conduct "mental reps," visualizing the play book.

According to Bush, the Dolphins are running a West Coast-style offense under new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, and he believes the style, which utilizes quick reads and throws, will benefit everyone involved.
This means Daboll needs more intelligent passers, running backs and go-to receivers.
That's extremely scary to me.

I was satisfied by passing on McNabb, Hasselbeck, Kolb and Bolger as all of them are WCO passers and Daboll promised a run-first attack, absolutely different of WCO and closer to what Miami, Denver & Cincinnati have been running the last three seasons.
I was on the Kyle Orton bandwagon just after draft ended, but this blurs my mind.

I hope Reggie's wrong and was just trying to express he loved the play book. :rolleyes2:

WCO would explain the interest in Farve.

I can't believe you just said that...

If you implementing a new to a team system and guy with 20 years experience is available. Hell yeah you make that call. Not that I want to make that call but it's an option you have to consider.

It makes sense really, Think about it.

Marshall Glorified Possesion Receiver
Gates/Bess - Great quick twitch Guys
Fasano - Great Blocker- Above Avg Receiver
Clay - Excellent Receiver - Good Blocker
Thomas - Good Receiver - Tough Runner
Bush - Matuch up nightmare as a pass catching RB

Wont be an exact WCO but it will be a safe/short passing offense and they will hope their big "chunk" plays come as YAC.
Chubbs

Translation: They failed to acquire the every down back they desired, so the direction of the offense changed completely.

Funny thing is we actually have the personnel to run the WCO effectively...........aside from QB, which is why it's not going to work.

Translation: They failed to acquire the every down back they desired, so the direction of the offense changed completely.

Funny thing is we actually have the personnel to run the WCO effectively...........aside from QB, which is why it's not going to work.

Who says you don't need an every down back in the WCO? Dorsey Levens, Ricky Waters, Ryan Grant (when healthy), Arian Foster, Terrell Davis, Clinton Portis (when he played for Denver) and a number of other backs...in WCO as every down backs.

(I can't remember the guys name in Seattle when Holmgren was coach...dang it.)

I think that it's hard to really tell the 'style' of offense we're running. It's likely that we're giving more reps to the passing game because that's were we need the most work with the new additions of Thomas, Clay, Gates, and Bush, not to mention the fact that we need to figure something out at QB. Also, since Henne has been dubbed captain check down, they are likely going to try to play to his strength as much as possible, which is why getting Bush was a smart move in that respect because Bush can take a safety valve route and make a big play out of it. I think that we'll still see a strong, power running game, but we'll get more creative in the passing game and look to go underneath in a more dink and dunk style, that lead to higher percentage throws.

I'd rather see an offensive philosophy that allows for positive yardage in all situations, whereas the old adage of the passing game comes into play more so on a deep ball, 3 things can happen and only one of them is good. On a deep ball, it's a low percentage throw, especially if your receiver lacks the kind of jets to get beyond coverage. Essentially if you run the ball on first down, get 3 yards, throw a medium to deep route on 2nd down and it's incomplete, you're looking at 3rd and 7 as opposed to running on 1st for 3 yards, making a short pass on 2nd for 3 yards and looking at 3rd and 4. The short passing game also helps a great deal in helping a mediocre or inexperienced offensive line as they will not have to hold blocks as long. Furthermore, Miami can use this kind of philosophy to open up the running game. With players like Reggie Bush, and Davone Bess that create matchup issues in man coverage, defenses are likely to revert to zone coverage, especially if they fear screen and draw plays. This means that holes will open more easily for our running backs and it should be easier for them to get to the second level.

All in all, I feel that this strategy fits our offensive personnel well. Henne is still the question mark here, but shortening his throws can only help increase his accuracy. Also giving him quicker and easier reads can help him get more comfortable. The only thing that concerns me is Brandon Marshall. Will he get enough touches in this kind of system to make him happy? Bess, Gates and Bush are much more suited to this type of offense, and Marshall certainly has the skill set, but Marshall is the type of guy that just wants to overpower a corner in a 1 on 1 matchup and this kind of offense is more prone to misdirection and deception to get guys open. It will be interesting to see.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Who says you don't need an every down back in the WCO? Dorsey Levens, Ricky Waters, Ryan Grant (when healthy), Arian Foster, Terrell Davis, Clinton Portis (when he played for Denver) and a number of other backs...in WCO as every down backs.

(I can't remember the guys name in Seattle when Holmgren was coach...dang it.)

Shaun Alexander. Don't forget Westbrook in Philly either.

Back
Top Bottom