wth happened to our pass defense? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

wth happened to our pass defense?

The Bills game told the story of the defense for me. They held their own against a dominant passing attack for an entire half of football and got no help from the offense. Everything went downhill from there.

I'm not as high or low on our defense as some others are, but I firmly believe: put the ball in the end zone more and the defense will do its job. Can't expect those guys to carry the team getting **** all from the offense.

The Bucs game is what it is. They're capable of hanging 40+ on most if not all NFL defenses when everything is clicking for them. Brady was as accurate as he's ever been against us yesterday. Nailed some tight window throws with ease. My biggest concern from that game (defensively) is that our coaching staff still doesn't realize that Jerome Baker's only place on the football field should be in blitz packages. 99% of the FH fanbase realized that before halftime.

Last edited:
The Bills game told the story of the defense for me. They held their own against a dominant passing attack for an entire half of football and got no help from the offense. Everything went downhill from there.

I'm not as high or low on our defense as some others are, but I firmly believe: put the ball in the end zone more and the defense will do its job. Can't expect those guys to carry the team getting **** all from the offense.

The Bucs game is what it is. They're capable of hanging 40+ on most if not all NFL defenses when everything is clicking for them.
Yup. I know the final score said blowout, but we were a dropped parker td and getting stopped on the 2 from either being tied or down just 4 at the half against the best team in the afc. Seeing the oline play the way they did last week gives me some hope. We've got 2 weak opponents to see if we can get some momentum going. I could be dreaming but I've waited 9 months to watch this team and I sure as hell ain't throwing in the towel after 5 games.

With all the film on Brady, and as much as he likes to throw, our pass defense should have had plenty of opportunities to get picks, defenses, etc

Because we don't have 52 CBs on the roster...only then would Flores be content and we have a decent pass defense...🎃

No seriously...as others have stated its due to several factors...namely its the lack of a pass rush...if it sounds familiar its because it has been an ongoing issue for years at this point.

I also believe that the scheme has been changed somewhat now that we have McCourty and Holland instead of McCain.

Lack of a pass rush...

Every week the opposition QBs have all day to find a man.

We disguised this problem last year with all of the blitzing, but that was never going to work long term.

The problem is the lack of consistent pressure.

Its a variety of things, most of which were very predictable... The Fins defense was very good at one thing last season, getting turnovers, which is one of the most variance based thing in football. Fins were also blitzing more than everyone but were creating pressure at an average level...

Whats going on right now is they aint getting lucky anymore, still blitzing at a top rate but only getting pressures at a bottom rate. I dont blame Flores... Luck fools alot of people into thinking they're actually good.

9th 7.0% sack rate
17th 9.2% hurry rate

26th 4.5% sack rate
32nd 3.0% hurry rate
Some of that is playing Buffalo, Tampa Bay, the Raiders and Indianapolis. But great defenses stop great teams, or at least slow them down.

I'm hoping Flores can find some answers. That said, I do think Miami needs to find a dominant front seven player.

Struggling against the run, and constantly playing from behind hasn't helped either.

-Less long slow drives by the offense than last year. Less offensive effectiveness overall.

- Teams figuring out our ameaboid blitzes, and we’re just using them less.

- We miss McCain, especially his mental and emotional leadership. I hate that I was right about this off season.

- Lost Lawson and KVN as pass rushers. AVG hasn’t stepped up, and Phillips took a bit of time to get going.

- We’ve faced some really good offenses.

- Howard and Jones might be a bit hobbled.

- Turnovers, 3rd down defense, and red zone defense tends to regress to the mean. It doesn’t always, but the tendency is there.

It’s seldom just one thing, especially on defense.
I think the jones/howard injuries could be the key to the whole thing. Without that confidence in man-to-man lockdown mode, I can see them not wanting to blitz as much. Blitzing was essential to their scheme last year. But seems like a parallel to the offense, how they needed to risk the occasional sack/pick to gain big yards...at least against top passing teams maybe they also need to risk the occasional bomb on defense to get the sacks/picks. Those offenses when clicking can nickel and dime all day without a drop. Makes me think that side of the problem----the ability to fine tune that aggro knob week-to-week--comes from Flores.

I agree that against Tampa/KC/Buffalo(?) maybe no one really has the horses to contain them. Honestly we were never a super bowl contender this year anyway, to compete against those guys you have to keep up with the track meet on offense.

Last edited:
Last year we confused some teams with exotic blitz packages. It was smoke and mirrors. It was basically a season of defensive Wildcat—was never going to last.
Plus none of our LB's can cover and these exotic blitz packages were hiding these glaring weaknesse. And now the whole secondary got exposed big time.

We blitzed a ton last year. We couldn't get sacks or pressure without blitzes. Corners didn't have to cover long, jump on them quick and get ready for the quick pass. Now not blitzing all the time they gotta cover longer and can't. Fins r starting to show a trend of if it isn't broke We will break it at the end of year. Keep the players that got u on the right track(and coaches). Quit the constant turnover!!

A couple of the plays I saw, X and Byron had good position on the WRs but the ball was perfectly placed. Not much you can do about that. I had hoped with Davis back the run D would have been better.
This def plays a part. Some of those passes couldn't be defended 1v1.

Back
Top Bottom