WWYD? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WWYD?

AquaXI

Active Roster
Reaction score
Bills sit at 12, say Browns, Broncos, Jets take Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield. We are sitting at 11 and Smith or James is there along with Josh Allen. If we grab our guy then the Bills get theirs( hearing that they Covet Allen ). Do we trade back say with Cards at 15 and miss out on our guy ?

Last edited:
If Josh Allen is still there at #11? I hand the card off to the Flash and tell him to deliver it to the podium post haste. I know all about the inaccuracy issue, but his arm strength and potential are out of this world. He’s the prototypical QB mold that you covet.

He can sit behind Tannehill for two years, and learn this system. It would kind of be a perfect scenario, then you can reassess the QB situation (depending on how Tannehill does) in making a decision from there. Like what Aaron Rodgers did with Favre.

I don’t expect Josh Allen to be there, so say that your other two guys are there: Roquan Smith and Derwin James. Between those two players, I’m taking Derwin James. We really need a speedy young LB, but Smith’s injuries make me somewhat skittish. He’s a tremendous tackler though, but I don’t like how he can sometimes get washed out from blocks. Needs a clean path to the ball.

James can transform our defense, and is bonafide leader. We need more leaders on this team, especially on the defensive side of the football. He’d be an alpha dog out there from day one, and barring injury, hopefully a cornerstone on our defense for many years to come.

I don’t follow college ball but we need an athletic LB who can make plays. This a good draft for those guys?

I simply don’t get the romance with James.

When I watch the Florida and Alabama games I see a great athlete not a football player.

-Unless he is blitzing his feet do not move at all at the snap. He just takes so long to diagnose what his happening in front of him.

-He takes horrendous angles to the ball, usually arriving at the spot the ballcarrier just vacated.

-Tackling technique is non existent. Arrives fast and just throws a shoulder.

-Coverage skills are not good at all unless the play is right in front of him. He can’t cover a crossing route and looks like he has no idea what he is doing out there in space.

Just watch the first play vs Alabama! He is shifting in the plays direction before the snap and still can barely do anything to stop the back.

The Florida game is even worse and shows all his flaws in my opinion.

I know some guys here that are much smarter than me like him but all I see is a great athlete, possible developmental player at linebacker but at #11, that I can’t see.

I would have to see the tape your looking at, but the "flat foot" read is a very popular/common read for safetys when there is additional help in coverage such as cover 4. Many defenses teach their safeties to this unless they are the one responsible for the vertical route

It's also the opinion of many that James played down a little this year to stay healthy. I think his more impressive tape is the year prior

@TraderJoe

Last edited:

When I watch the Florida and Alabama games I see a great athlete not a football player.

-Unless he is blitzing his feet do not move at all at the snap. He just takes so long to diagnose what his happening in front of him.

-He takes horrendous angles to the ball, usually arriving at the spot the ballcarrier just vacated.

-Coverage skills are not good at all unless the play is right in front of him. He can’t cover a crossing route and looks like he has no idea what he is doing out there in space.

Just watch the first play vs Alabama! He is shifting in the plays direction before the snap and still can barely do anything to stop the back.

I know some guys here that are much smarter than me like him but all I see is a great athlete, possible developmental player at linebacker but at #11, that I can’t see.

He was still thinking about his injury entirely to much early in the year.

As the year progressed and he started getting more comfortable he started dominating out there.

I’m not doubting you guys but the Florida game was near the end of the season and is pretty awful.

This is where I was with James; though, I wasn't as negative. But, he excels in man coverage, and he has the athleticism to indicate that he'll excel in the NFL. As you note, he blitzes very well, too. I'd use him to match up with TE's and big WR's. As a Safety, I don't think he sees the play fast enough to be elite/justify a top-20 pick. As a CB/hybrid, I'd draft him top 10.

So, to answer the OP's question, I'd need to know how Miami views James. If they view him as a S, I'd hope they draft Smith. If they view him as a CB/hybrid, give me James. But, I'd be happy with both.

Moving down to 15 would depend on the compensation. Allen wouldn't figure into my equation, but if Arizona wants to cough up a 2nd, I'd be glad to draft Vander Esch, along with a few others, at 15.

This is where I was with James; though, I wasn't as negative. But, he excels in man coverage, and he has the athleticism to indicate that he'll excel in the NFL. As you note, he blitzes very well, too. I'd use him to match up with TE's and big WR's. As a Safety, I don't think he sees the play fast enough to be elite/justify a top-20 pick. As a CB/hybrid, I'd draft him top 10.

So, to answer the OP's question, I'd need to know how Miami views James. If they view him as a S, I'd hope they draft Smith. If they view him as a CB/hybrid, give me James. But, I'd be happy with both.

Moving down to 15 would depend on the compensation. Allen wouldn't figure into my equation, but if Arizona wants to cough up a 2nd, I'd be glad to draft Vander Esch, along with a few others, at 15.

Excellent counter point and I like what you are thinking with James as that CB/Hybrid role, I hadn’t considered that.

Vander Esch is one of my favorites in this draft!

If Josh Allen is still there at #11? I hand the card off to the Flash and tell him to deliver it to the podium post haste. I know all about the inaccuracy issue, but his arm strength and potential are out of this world. He’s the prototypical QB mold that you covet.

He can sit behind Tannehill for two years, and learn this system. It would kind of be a perfect scenario, then you can reassess the QB situation (depending on how Tannehill does) in making a decision from there. Like what Aaron Rodgers did with Favre.

I don’t expect Josh Allen to be there, so say that your other two guys are there: Roquan Smith and Derwin James. Between those two players, I’m taking Derwin James. We really need a speedy young LB, but Smith’s injuries make me somewhat skittish. He’s a tremendous tackler though, but I don’t like how he can sometimes get washed out from blocks. Needs a clean path to the ball.

James can transform our defense, and is bonafide leader. We need more leaders on this team, especially on the defensive side of the football. He’d be an alpha dog out there from day one, and barring injury, hopefully a cornerstone on our defense for many years to come.
What injuries the guy played almost every game for GA. He had some issues for the combine but had never had a serious injury history at all

What injuries the guy played almost every game for GA. He had some issues for the combine but had never had a serious injury history at all

Sorry, yes I meant the combine injuries. Don’t get me wrong, I really like Roquan Smith. I didn’t mean to come across that I don’t.

If memory serves me right, he had around 70 total tackles and 37 defensive stops, without missing a tackle in the run game this season. That’s a very telling statistic on what a sure fire tackler he is, and the great instincts.

Sorry, yes I meant the combine injuries. Don’t get me wrong, I really like Roquan Smith. I didn’t mean to come across that I don’t.

If memory serves me right, he had around 70 total tackles and 37 defensive stops, without missing a tackle in the run game this season. That’s a very telling statistic on what a sure fire tackler he is, and the great instincts.
I have no problem if you don’t like him I just saw about three or 4 post talking about his injuries and being a Dawg fan who saw all his snaps and about 60% of them twice (don’t rewatch cup cake games) I was trying to figure out where all this injury history was coming from.

Last edited:
I like Smith more than Edmunds because I think his elite level smarts/instincts are farther above Edmunds than Edmunds physical traits are above Smith. Edmunds does have the edge there but not as big in my book. I would be happy with either one though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom