Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors

You don’t need to trade great players to get a rookie qb. And no body is trading you a top 15 pick for any player outside a qb.

Well we traded multiple 1st rounders for Ricky Williams so while I’ll never say never....I would be very prudent if I were to deal Howard.

It’s absolutely on the table for me though.

Sure you don’t need to trade picks to get a rookie QB, but it damn sure helps.

players like howard and tunsil are only stars/ trade bait in our own limited minds.
the rest of the league is not that impressed. if anyone was willing to give up a 1st or either they would have been long gone

howard was burned worse than mccain last year,and this last year he had quite an impressive number of toasts to go with the ints.

Burned worse than McCain?

Howard
57 targets- 29 receptions (51% completion)- 469 yds -QB rating when throwing to X 62.6--4 TD's allowed and 7 INTs
McCain
68 targets- 50 receptions (74% completion)- 556 yds- QB rating when throwing to McCain 120.7--6 TDS allowed and 1 INT

Howard has value but I’m not 100% convinced it’s a 1st.

He really has a great season and a half under his belt and the rest of the league is only just now paying attention, if at all.

If we sign him to a fat contract and he continues with the injuries to the point where his play starts to decline and we're left with an expensive average CB people are going to say same old Dolphins. Nothing new changed.

Damned if they do damned if they don't.
Howard is awesome. We just have to sign him. Getting rid of him is stupid cause corners are not a dime a dozen. It's a passing league. We be foolish to not pay a guy due to a injury. Not like he is a Parker.

Donald’s cap hit is no where close to the highest paid interior lineman this year.

Donald has the largest overall contract on the team, as I said. Whether he’s the highest this year is irrelevant, as he’s among the biggest hits every year (and worth it).

players like howard and tunsil are only stars/ trade bait in our own limited minds.
the rest of the league is not that impressed. if anyone was willing to give up a 1st or either they would have been long gone

howard was burned worse than mccain last year,and this last year he had quite an impressive number of toasts to go with the ints.

Clueless as always.

Donald has the largest overall contract on the team, as I said. Whether he’s the highest this year is irrelevant, as he’s among the biggest hits every year (and worth it).

It actually has nothing to do with the teams ability to build a team. And the fact that you say it goes against the Fh motto that you can’t build a team overpaying a dt is completely wrong. His cap hit is 8.9 million this year, which is an average dt salary. When his cap hit is 27 million then you can see why you don’t build around a dt.

That's not my argument, and it wasn't the point of my post or the logic I was alluding to. That's where we got off wrong. I don't agree with any of it, FWIW. Suh is just another piece within that team that is absolutely stacked with talent. The Rams signed him to put them over the top because they could and were convinced they could compete.

We are reportedly in rebuilding mode, and gathering ammunition to get a QB is why we're discussing trading Howard. It doesn't have much of anything to do with cap space. Not that I'm in love with a guy who outwardly expresses he wants to be the highest paid anything while still on a rookie contract.

BTW - the Rams are doing all of this big spending after they traded multiple picks to move from 15th to 1st overall to grab Goff. A la, why we are having this discussion in the first place. It's about the QB. If we had ours, I'd say just sign Howard and let's build our defense. The only reason I'd even consider trading Howard is because we don't, and we won't compete for anything until we do.

Suh didn't stop us from building a successful team, lacking elite play everywhere else to compensate for a middle of the pack QB did.

The original question I posted about CB and SB teams wasn't to imply we couldn't go to the SB with a high-paid corner. It was literally just thinking out loud with a question about our priorities and analyzing teams that have gone to the SB in recent years.

Trading Howard is going to do little to nothing to help us get a QB and a good GM can get one without hemorrhaging talent. Keeping Howard and Fitz together has the makings of a top secondary. Add a QB and we have a huge jump start on the rebuild. Insane to break it up for most likely garbage picks.

It actually has nothing to do with the teams ability to build a team. And the fact that you say it goes against the Fh motto that you can’t build a team overpaying a dt is completely wrong. His cap hit is 8.9 million this year, which is an average dt salary. When his cap hit is 27 million then you can see why you don’t build around a dt.

They’ll be fine.

Speaking off memory so correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t two of those to deandre Hopkins? And if I remember right X had Hopkins locked up in the first half it wasn’t till the second half once the wheels fell off did Hopkins start to go off

You may be right, but you also need to watch Jones play in conjunction with Xs on a few of those big plays. On one TD, X was beat by a Hopkins going over the middle, forcing Jones to cheat. Leaving his backend wide open for the eventual TD to the other WR who was having a career game.

Reactions: A1.
Yes, for multiple reasons. First, contracts aren't based on where he specifically rank among fellow CBs. A general range, yes, but not a specific rank. People get so tied up on that. "He's not the #1 CB in the league, so he shouldn't get #1 money." That's just not how it works. Next year, another CB will probably get paid more, and another after that. And I'm not convinced he'll earn #1 money. Probably top 5 salaries range, which is completely reasonable.

Second, you're not paying just to keep a good player. You're also paying to prevent yet another gaping hole in a team otherwise devoid of talent. Further, you're not paying some unknown FA to do it. You're paying a known commodity, unlike all the mid-round draft picks everybody overrates. And let's say you think he should be in the #10 range. Cool, a $2-$3 million dollar difference. Big whoop (relatively speaking).

And what about the message it sends to other players we draft? It's basically telling them they can **** off if they aren't the absolute best at their position or mediocre enough to come cheap.

Pay him.

All well and good. But when people here made hay over 2-3 million on certain FA contracts, sorry if it might fall on deaf ears in concerns to a 12 game resume enhancement.

I did give a example though, and it remains relevant. You can move on from a elite corner on a rookie contract and still compete. If not for Dee Ford lining up in the Pat's backfield, the Chiefs would be in the SB.

Burned worse than McCain?

Howard
57 targets- 29 receptions (51% completion)- 469 yds -QB rating when throwing to X 62.6--4 TD's allowed and 7 INTs
McCain
68 targets- 50 receptions (74% completion)- 556 yds- QB rating when throwing to McCain 120.7--6 TDS allowed and 1 INT

hmmm ....

@Dolphinitis

I personally think this is one of those key positions along with Left Tackle that you do not let go. Otherwise, we would be trying to draft another CB to replace a proven commodity with an unknown. If we did pickup the Alabama QB in 2020, what does that do to our need for Tackle? Does the RT become the priority?

Sounds like Howard is being level headed about it so far to me. I gotta say i really dont feel strongly either way. He's damn good but thats alot of money at 1 spot for rebuilding.

I probably lean to keep him under 15mil. He not only is a very good CB, but is a game changer. Feels like he could have won 3 games this year for us in 2018.

Bill Belichick, a good OL, and a defense that always plays well when it matters.

Second highest paid player on the Pats is a CB (who has their largest overall contract). 3rd is a Safety. The Rams have two CBs in the top ten of their salaries, one of which has their 4th highest salary overall behind a RB, WR, and a DT, who has their largest contract.

OF COURSE it is more than one person. OF COURSE the Pats are successful because of multiple reasons. However, do they win those 5 rings without Brady? Nope.

Back
Top Bottom