Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors

You guys act if though a QB in 2020 if going to turn this franchise around in spite of an OL upgrade, they're going to screw this up trying to trade you best player, sunlife stadium will be empty next year for sure.

You guys act if though a QB in 2020 if going to turn this franchise around in spite of an OL upgrade, they're going to screw this up trying to trade you best player, sunlife stadium will be empty next year for sure.

A great QB in any year would without a doubt, 100%, turn this franchise around. For anyone to argue otherwise is completely insane.

Maybe everyone has just gotten so used to rationalizing average QB play that we've forgotten how much deficiency greatness at the position can overcome.

So this is the new thing? We draft a player good and no one wants to pay them when it’s time? You guys are some of the most ridiculous people I’ve come across.

Last edited:
some team out there would give up a 1st for Howard. That gives two 1st round picks next year, trade both to move up in the draft to get your QB. No need to tank, Xavien Howard is the easiest way to a top pick in 2020.

I love X and I hope he is on the team for the next decade. But, if trading him helps us acquire draft capital for the next Rodgers, Mahomes, Luck, etc........then it needs to be considered.

I'm sick of mediocracy. We've had plenty of good CB's over the years......no rings though.

I love X and I hope he is on the team for the next decade. But, if trading him helps us acquire draft capital for the next Rodgers, Mahomes, Luck, etc........then it needs to be considered.

I'm sick of mediocracy. We've had plenty of good CB's over the years......no rings though.

Well those 3 QBs have combined for 1 ring in 19 years of football.

Rodgers has had his team around average for 3-4 years.

Yes a great qb makes a difference but you can’t have a great qb and a **** team or you’ll be the saints with perpetual 7-9 seasons.

Uuuuugh. This conversation legitimately drives me bonkers, because both sides make sense to me.

However, I don’t think the Fins are going to need additional first-round picks to get a top QB in 2020 or 2021, if they plan this rebuild properly.

Lock up X, in my opinion. QB is clearly the most important position in football. But having a lock-down corner is pretty freaking important, too. LT and CB are two of the more important positions in the game, and the Fins have two legit, young studs at those positions. They should be there, in their primes, when the rebuild is complete.

There are no guarantees on any draft pick. Especially at QB and especially for the Dolphins! X is young and trending to be a top corner for many years. Letting him go would be just stupid! We can still rank with X on the team and not be in cap he’ll.

So this is the new thing? We draft a player good and no one wants to pay them when it’s time? You guys are some of the most ridiculous people I’ve come across.

What's ridiculous is making the 20th ranked CB in the NFL the highest paid CB in the NFL before his contract is even up.

The Dolphins have three legitimate years left of team control over Xavien.
This year his contract year,2020 franchise tag,2021 2nd franchise tag.

If he wants to hold out this year for a contract, that may actually be beneficial to the Dolphins future plans.

Dolphins aren't trying to win this year and it would give the Dolphins a chance to take another look at Cordrea Tankersley, Jalen Davis, perhaps a couple draft picks.

This all based mostly on interceptions. What if this year the QB's we face don't make bad throws to his area??

What if his stat line only shows 2 interceptions next year and he again ranks in the twenties??

Giving him a monster contract in 2019 would be risky, reckless, and needless; they have stated they aren't going to do that kind of thing this year.

Uuuuugh. This conversation legitimately drives me bonkers, because both sides make sense to me.

However, I don’t think the Fins are going to need additional first-round picks to get a top QB in 2020 or 2021, if they plan this rebuild properly.

Lock up X, in my opinion. QB is clearly the most important position in football. But having a lock-down corner is pretty freaking important, too. LT and CB are two of the more important positions in the game, and the Fins have two legit, young studs at those positions. They should be there, in their primes, when the rebuild is complete.
But he isn't a lock-down CB, not yet. He has some seriously great ball skills and instincts for a CB, but his coverage isn't elite, it is good, not great. His run defense is what I really appreciate, but you don't pay corners 16 million for their run defense.

If he gets in the top ten next year and repeats 5 or more interceptions, then.......then, you pay him the big bucks.

But he isn't a lock-down CB, not yet. He has some seriously great ball skills and instincts for a CB, but his coverage isn't elite, it is good, not great. His run defense is what I really appreciate, but you don't pay corners 16 million for their run defense.

If he gets in the top ten next year and repeats 5 or more interceptions, then.......then, you pay him the big bucks.

top 20 according to a service that doesn't matter.

Ballhawks are just as important as lockdown guys. No corner in the NFL is ever going to be able to lock down a wideout with the rules the way they are. Revis was the last of a dead breed.

What's ridiculous is making the 20th ranked CB in the NFL the highest paid CB in the NFL before his contract is even up.

The Dolphins have three legitimate years left of team control over Xavien.
This year his contract year,2020 franchise tag,2021 2nd franchise tag.

If he wants to hold out this year for a contract, that may actually be beneficial to the Dolphins future plans.

Dolphins aren't trying to win this year and it would give the Dolphins a chance to take another look at Cordrea Tankersley, Jalen Davis, perhaps a couple draft picks.

This all based mostly on interceptions. What if this year the QB's we face don't make bad throws to his area??

What if his stat line only shows 2 interceptions next year and he again ranks in the twenties??

Giving him a monster contract in 2019 would be risky, reckless, and needless; they have stated they aren't going to do that kind of thing this year.

So then who do we ever pay? If don’t pay our home grown talent, who gets the money? What mythical thing do you imagine we do with all this unused cap space if it isn’t being used on our own players?

So then who do we ever pay? If don’t pay our home grown talent, who gets the money? What mythical thing do you imagine we do with all this unused cap space if it isn’t being used on our own players?

I don't have any problem with your theory of paying our guys who deserve a fat check. This is a whole different animal. Howard isn't the best CB in the league. He isn't even close. He doesn't deserve to be the highest paid guy in the league. If he was willing to sign for a reasonable amount that would be great, but there is every indication that his opinion of himself is greatly inflated; he needs to come back down to earth and then a deal can be reached.

There is no hurry at all in getting him signed.

If the front office is gonna basically assure us of a top 2 pick next year by doing whatever it takes to tank, then sure resign X now.

But I'd rather trade him for a first and say a fourth, and ensure we have what it takes to pick at the top, or at minimum I'm waiting a year and making him show me he can play at an all pro level again before I resign him to a huge deal.

I don't mind being called ridiculous. I remember assertions of ridiculous that Ryan Tannehill wouldn't fetch a high round pick, merely because of examples like Sam Bradford.

Meanwhile, many teams look at it the same way I do, that early and long term excellence matters, far beyond merely the most recent indications. Sam Bradford was a dominant college player from the outset of his redshirt freshman season. I remember how awesome he looked while picking the Canes apart that season, 51-13. Sam Bradford played for the national championship. Sam Bradford won the Heisman Trophy. Sam Bradford was the consensus first pick in the draft.

It makes sense to allow benefit of a doubt to that type of resume. When it connects the payoffs are enormous, like the Raiders patiently resurrecting Jim Plunkett.

Teams that understand percentages and big picture outlook will not overreact if a Sam Bradford investment does not pay off. They merely do it again the next time.

But if you butcher the thinking and apply the principals in reverse, then your connect percentage has to be surreal. Players with a resume like Xavien Howard will let you down time and again, if you try to pretend they are now elite when that has never been the case previously. I made the same argument with Reshad Jones when we contemplated that contract.

I have no doubt a Tannebuam type would look at only a need position and Howard's recent results. He would bite and bite hard. But the entire purpose of this so-called tank era is to reset the thinking and make more astute decisions going forward. As always, I don't like to make exceptions case to case. It doesn't matter what Ryan Tannehill looks like. His resume tells you what he is, and that his upside probably does not match the physical projections. Ryan Tannehill the player was essentially irrelevant. The properly applied angle rejected him.

When the outlier example pans out, then my way of thinking will look bad. That is the goal, not the risk. You want to look bad when the outliers connect. But let other teams scramble for those outlier rationalizations.

More often than not. Do the right thing...

Back
Top Bottom