Xavien Howard placed on PUP | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard placed on PUP

Trying to put a positive spin on the situation it gives more practice time and perhaps playing time for Noah Ig to develop him quicker if X isn't ready early in the season. If by the end of the year we have all three [Jones} up and playing well the CB position looks very bright for the future when I expect us to start making runs in the playoffs.

Enough is enough.

Time to move on via trade or outright cutting. The money has been spent with little meaningful return. His roster spot is currently more valuable to the team than he is. Why waste that roster spot to keep him and not develop some of our new acquisitions. It can't cost that much more to develop one of our newest players and we would probably get a more reliable player. This is the kind of action that needs to be continuously taken to keep a team growing; not stagnating.

This is just a common NFL football situation that needs to be dealt with. There are no bad guys involved; just an untenable status that needs to be corrected. For reasons beyond anyone's control this player isn't panning out. His going on PUP should probably been anticipated. Maybe it was, based the positions we brought people in to tryout for.

I anticipate a long and unsatisfying remainder to this preseason, and I'm an optimist!

It would cost almost 7mm more to cut him than keep him.

It would cost almost 7mm more to cut him than keep him.

Do you feel that is enough reason not to bring in a rookie, considering his lack of availability during previous years and what looks like a good possibility that he may not be fully ready to play by training camp?

I haven't seen this posted. Now we know why we snagged Igby. Hopefully he returns mid season. As great as he is when he's out there, in 4 years, he only made it through one fulll season one time....

Guys I wouldn’t panic over this yet. It’s a little disheartening that he was hurt before Preston Williams and Williams is ready to go but this isn’t return at mid season PUP. He could come off this in a couple days, a week, 2 weeks anytime really. Have to let it play out.

I think the organization knows what they have in X. He may not go for 16 games, but if he's ready for the majority that changes the way the O has to attack. We have added other pieces to be reckoned with in the D backfield, and hopefully some threat to the QB in the form of pass rush. To be a real threat to win big you need a couple game changers and while X has been inconsistent and oft injured he remains a force that the O has to deal with, when he's on the field. All that said, if he can't or won't go, we have replacement potential on the roster. If he can't regain form trade or cut next year.

Do you feel that is enough reason not to bring in a rookie, considering his lack of availability during previous years and what looks like a good possibility that he may not be fully ready to play by training camp?

They can bring in a rookie AND keep him. It's $20mm in dead cap to cut him, and he can spend a good portion if the season on the IR without taking up a roster spot if needed.

Maybe this is a clever move to keep a roster spot open?

At the same time, X doesn't need a lot of coaching to do his thing?
He has had one above average season since he has been with the Dolphins. He did not play well at all last year before going on injured reserve. So claiming he doesn’t need a lot of coaching just isn’t true.

What he does need is to actually get healthy and start earning the big contract he signed two years ago. It doesn’t matter how good he might be if he can’t get on the field to play. It would not surprise me in the least if this isn’t his last year in Miami.

Seems they are trying to get down to 80, this might just be a move to help them get down to that without having to cut another player they haven't seen in camp to evaluate. Some guys can easily be cut without seeing them as there are always bodies brought in for camp but some brought in do have potential. The knee would be a credible excuse as to not draw attention by the league as he did have surgery in the offseason. If the perception is he's 100% healthy there would be no way to do this. Just throwing it out there, they have done this in the past freeing up a roster spot...

Back
Top Bottom