Xavien Howard placed on PUP | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard placed on PUP

The best ability is availability and historically this guy has missed 24 games in 4 seasons. I was very nervous when the FO gave him that contract, I was hoping they’d trade him because statistically players that miss that many games early in their careers have short careers and often don’t play full seasons. We can hope that the extra time will allow him to heal up properly, but history isn’t on the side of this hope. Makes that 1st round CB pick a prudent one. Hopefully Noah Icantspellhisname will turn out to be great eventually. However, this year will be a weird one with all that the Covid situation has brought to all sports in terms of opt outs, infections, and self isolations that haven’t allowed and won’t allow much of a typical training camp with no preseason games whatsoever.

We should be better than last year and hopefully Xavien Howard can come back and stay healthy, but we shall see...

Normally I’d agree but he’s a special player. When he’s back on the field ball hawking this will all be forgotten. Remember Offerdahl always seemed to injured at the worst times but he got a pass due to being brilliant when he was on the field. Same kinda thing.
He was a special player for one season with the Dolphins. Otherwise he has been an average CB when he has actually been able to play. Offerdahl consistently played at a high level when he wasn’t injured. So there is no comparison between Howard and Offerdahl when it comes to actual contribution on the field.

Makes me think of we are still after Logan Ryan and that interest was because of X.

He was a special player for one season with the Dolphins. Otherwise he has been an average CB when he has actually been able to play. Offerdahl consistently played at a high level when he wasn’t injured. So there is no comparison between Howard and Offerdahl when it comes to actual contribution on the field.
I would have to disagree about “average” - he’s not close to average.

I would have to disagree about “average” - he’s not close to average.
Actually, @1972forever is correct. He had 1 outstanding season, before being injured late in that season.

He wasn't anything special his rookie year, and was injured. He had an average sophomore campaign, though the light started to come on at the end. Last year he didn't play to a pro bowl level early, then was injured again.

I do think he has the talent to be one of the top cover corners in the league, but the reality is he had one very good year. Aside from that, meh.

Tell me where I'm wrong. I'll listen.

Actually, @1972forever is correct. He had 1 outstanding season, before being injured late in that season.

He wasn't anything special his rookie year, and was injured. He had an average sophomore campaign, though the light started to come on at the end. Last year he didn't play to a pro bowl level early, then was injured again.

I do think he has the talent to be one of the top cover corners in the league, but the reality is he had one very good year. Aside from that, meh.

It's not that you're wrong - it's that you're presenting a body of work without taking the progression into account. X was borderline disappointing from the time he was drafted until late 2017. Late 2017, the light flipped on for X, and it STAYED on for about a year and a half. It wasn't like he had a Larry Brown moment and then cashed that in. I hadn't felt that comfortable with a corner patrolling one side of the field since the days of Surtain and Madison.

It X hurt a lot? Undeniably. Is he proving to be worth the money he was paid? No. But if he comes back healthy, I don't think opposing QBs are gonna say, "Oh, that's a league-average CB over there! Let me throw at him!"

And if it takes longer than expected, hey, there are wore options than having Needham and Iggy fight it out for that spot.

It's not that you're wrong - it's that you're presenting a body of work without taking the progression into account. X was borderline disappointing from the time he was drafted until late 2017. Late 2017, the light flipped on for X, and it STAYED on for about a year and a half. It wasn't like he had a Larry Brown moment and then cashed that in. I hadn't felt that comfortable with a corner patrolling one side of the field since the days of Surtain and Madison.

It X hurt a lot? Undeniably. Is he proving to be worth the money he was paid? No. But if he comes back healthy, I don't think opposing QBs are gonna say, "Oh, that's a league-average CB over there! Let me throw at him!"

And if it takes longer than expected, hey, there are wore options than having Needham and Iggy fight it out for that spot.
Prior to going on injury reserve last season, Howard was not playing well at all. He was consistently beaten in the passing game and he didn’t even play at a mediocre level. Perhaps that was because of his injury but that doesn’t take away from the fact that he has only had one pro bowl level season in his time with the Dolphins.
He obviously showed in that one season that he had the talent to be a top tier CB in the NFL. Yet he has also showed that he has trouble staying on the field because of the multiple injuries he has suffered since coming into the league. The fact he is still recovering from an injury from last season has to be considered concerning. It also makes me wonder if he will have the same speed and athlete skills he possessed prior to suffering this latest leg injury.
While I hope he can get back to the player he was in 2018. I have my doubts we will ever see that player again.

Last edited:
Reason why I thought he was expendable last year. I didnt like his contract either for what its worth.

tenor.gif

Should have traded him at his peak value. He got his money and is taking it easy now, Julius Thomas style.

He had the procedure in Dec 2019 so it's been 7 months. This is the 3rd knee scope procedure he's had to his left knee since 2016. After the 2nd procedure, they signed him to a $75M contract extension. I don't know why the Dolphins always delay surgeries for players that have scar tissue build up in their knees same thing with Tannehill. I really don't like the Dolphins medical staff, they think they're giving players "good" advice to help the team but in the end, they always hurt the team.

Last year you have to throw out for every player on that D. It took 7-8 games for a bunch of street guys to even learn each other’s names. Look at the points given up as the season went on. He was hurt - the secondary was actually pretty good w/put him. Now imagine it w him in the back half of the season. As for his rookie year it was decent and you could tell he was going to be a star player. Sophomore year a bit better and as you say toward the end you could see “it” coming. Third year was as high a level as a CB can play. Point is, when healthy his abilities are among the very top of the league for such a premium position. There’s a reason when the Pats won all of those SBs they ALWAYS had a stud corner from Ty Law to Samuel to Revis to Talib to Gilmore etc. Howard is in that group ability-wise and is our best corner when healthy. Jones is very good too but with both healthy X is the better all around player. His ball tracking abilities are Ed Reed like. That’s game changing stuff there - like what he did to Brady that game. I’m not trading him - unless his play truly declines / loses a step and clear he won’t recover.

Back
Top Bottom