Xavien Howard placed on PUP | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard placed on PUP

Last year you have to throw out for every player on that D. It took 7-8 games for a bunch of street guys to even learn each other’s names. Look at the points given up as the season went on. He was hurt - the secondary was actually pretty good w/put him. Now imagine it w him in the back half of the season. As for his rookie year it was decent and you could tell he was going to be a star player. Sophomore year a bit better and as you say toward the end you could see “it” coming. Third year was as high a level as a CB can play. Point is, when healthy his abilities are among the very top of the league for such a premium position. There’s a reason when the Pats won all of those SBs they ALWAYS had a stud corner from Ty Law to Samuel to Revis to Talib to Gilmore etc. Howard is in that group ability-wise and is our best corner when healthy. Jones is very good too but with both healthy X is the better all around player. His ball tracking abilities are Ed Reed like. That’s game changing stuff there - like what he did to Brady that game. I’m not trading him - unless his play truly declines / loses a step and clear he won’t recover.

I wouldn't just ignore last year because the rest of the defense sucked. If he was playing hurt that's one thing but if that's who he is going to be post injury then the Phins have a salary albatross on their hands. Better to get out from under it when you've got a young team and a QB on his rookie deal.

Howard was very good at certain aspects of the game but he has always had his weaknesses. I put him a clear tier below the likes of Revis. In his prime Revis could handle anything. Howard has always struggled with the smaller quicker types and will get burnt if someone with top end speed gets a move on him. If healthy his pairing with Jones looks great, at least on paper. Athletically Jones can do more whereas Howard has been far more prolific coming up with the big plays.

I wouldn't just ignore last year because the rest of the defense sucked. If he was playing hurt that's one thing but if that's who he is going to be post injury then the Phins have a salary albatross on their hands. Better to get out from under it when you've got a young team and a QB on his rookie deal.

Howard was very good at certain aspects of the game but he has always had his weaknesses. I put him a clear tier below the likes of Revis. In his prime Revis could handle anything. Howard has always struggled with the smaller quicker types and will get burnt if someone with top end speed gets a move on him. If healthy his pairing with Jones looks great, at least on paper. Athletically Jones can do more whereas Howard has been far more prolific coming up with the big plays.
I’m saying throw our last year for the first 7 games for every player. We were scoring about 5.5 points per game and giving up over 30+ w two 50 burgers. There was a system issue in no one could look good on that D (or O w the exception of an occasional circus catch by Parker or Williams). The team changed half its roster about 2 hours prior to opening day kickoff and it showed. If X didn’t look good in those early games I’m not bothered in the least. If you put Ray Lewis on that D those first 7 games he’d have no notable plays either. Then throw in he was playing a bit hurt. I recall one game where he got burned by Cooper a couple of times. I also recall a game vs NE where he obliterated Josh Gordon to the point of rendering him invisible. He’s still the best player on our D until proven otherwise. I don’t think you move him. And the FO likely sees it that way or they would have traded him by now.

edit - not trying to change subject but look at Minkah. He was getting flamed for sucking in the first couple games here. Then he goes to Pitt and has 9 takeaways and 3 TDs + is an All Pro. No one was going to look good on our D in the early part of the year.

I just threw up in my mouth a bit since you mentioned Howard and Revis in the same paragraph (even though you stated he is a clear tier below Revis. Howard is nowhere near Revis. Great point about the potential salary albatross (I was thinking this as soon as he went down).

We traded for Jones? What did we give up?

We didn't trade, it was down to Raiders and Eagles that were going to sign and Miami swooped in last minute(so the reports said at the time). Only thing we gave up was 80+ mil

Back
Top Bottom