Xavien Howard Records Interception In His Return To The Field During Pro Bowl | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Records Interception In His Return To The Field During Pro Bowl

Redskins paid Josh Norman top dollar. Giants paid OBJ top dollar. How did that all work?

I dont believe in overpaying. Get a 1st round pick for Howard, someone will do it.

The league needs to stop this nonsense of overpaying and guaranteed money for 16 hours of football a year.

I disagree 100%, The Dolphins are absolutely under pressure to pay him. He's shown more than enough regardless of the number of games he's been able to play for a big pay-day.

If not from the Dolphins then other teams would be ecstatic to take a chance on the young when healthy DB.

There is no pressure to pay him today . . . .when you have him under contract at 1.2 million and a potential franchise tag the year after.

If he was an upcoming free agent, thats another story, but he isn’t.

Yes be proactive, yes understand the deal could be the highest ever for a CB . . . but also realize you have the leverage in coming to terms that are beneficial not only to him but your own organization.

And if Howard is hell bent on resetting the market at some unreasonable number. . . .then let him prove his health and continue play at a high level for the next two seasons . . . .thats on him and his agent.

Many great players get franchised or go through unwanted 5th year options. Mack, Donald, Bell, Ingram, OBJ, Lawrence, etc. Its a normal part of the business side and you can’t be desperate because of previous incompetence by this organization.

What Howard thinks he deserves and what the Dolphins organization is willing to pay to resign him are two different things. Some of these numbers like $20 mil a year seem crazy to me, we all know he wants to be paid and he is a good young player to build our foundation on, but making him the highest paid player at his position because he requested it....no way!

There is no pressure to pay him today . . . .when you have him under contract at 1.2 million and a potential franchise tag the year after.

If he was an upcoming free agent, thats another story, but he isn’t.

Yes be proactive, yes understand the deal could be the highest ever for a CB . . . but also realize you have the leverage in coming to terms that are beneficial not only to him but your own organization.

And if Howard is hell bent on resetting the market at some unreasonable number. . . .then let him prove his health and continue play at a high level for the next two seasons . . . .thats on him and his agent.

Many great players get franchised or go through unwanted 5th year options. Mack, Donald, Bell, Ingram, OBJ, Lawrence, etc. Its a normal part of the business side and you can’t be desperate because of previous incompetence by this organization.

Agreed with the clarification. BUT it will be a lot cheaper and less drama to be him now instead of waiting until his final year next year.

What Howard thinks he deserves and what the Dolphins organization is willing to pay to resign him are two different things. Some of these numbers like $20 mil a year seem crazy to me, we all know he wants to be paid and he is a good young player to build our foundation on, but making him the highest paid player at his position because he requested it....no way!

Not sure what the final number is going to be but it's going to be HIGH! It's easily going to be north of $13 per year.

People like to say keep our own talent and pay them. But where would this team be now $$$ if we paid OV, Miller, Clay, Landry etc?

There's no way to pay all those guys!

Redskins paid Josh Norman top dollar. Giants paid OBJ top dollar. How did that all work?

I dont believe in overpaying. Get a 1st round pick for Howard, someone will do it.

The league needs to stop this nonsense of overpaying and guaranteed money for 16 hours of football a year.
I totally agree with your stance on overpayment, but that "16 hour" thing is a ridiculous statement.

Most of these guys bust their a$$ year round.

Not sure what the final number is going to be but it's going to be HIGH! It's easily going to be north of $13 per year.
Lol...it's definitely going to be several mil north of that.

Lol...it's definitely going to be several mil north of that.

This is part of what happens when you don't draft and develop talent well. We have NOTHING behind Howard and are crippled because of it. Now you're in a situation where you have to pay him.

This is part of what happens when you don't draft and develop talent well. We have NOTHING behind Howard and are crippled because of it. Now you're in a situation where you have to pay him.
I disagree that we "have to pay him".

Many ppl are adamant that we pay him whatever it takes. I don't, necessarily agree. He is hard to replace, but if he wants the price of 2 good players, I pass.

Agreed with the clarification. BUT it will be a lot cheaper and less drama to be him now instead of waiting until his final year next year.

Will it really though?

2019 - 1.2 million
2020 - $15 million (franchise tag)

Signs for 4/80 for 2021 to 2024 ($20 million AAV. . . .more than 20% higher than top dawg)

So 6 year/97.2 million or 16.2 million AAV from 2019 to 2024

Or Sign him today for 6/96 ($16 million AAV, resetting the CB market)

There is no difference financially . . . .except you gave yourself an extra 2 years to see if he can remain healthy and play at a high level.

you never know, he might have a bad 2019 year or get hurt. Numbers might drop. Hell this whole team is probably going to have a bad 2019.

you never know, he might have a bad 2019 year or get hurt. Numbers might drop. Hell this whole team is probably going to have a bad 2019.
Most likely we will.

The corner position is one where you can shine, even on a bad team though.

Yeah **** paying someone, might as well at a pick to draft a guy you don’t wanna pay as well.

Smart, you’re above the peasantry that is the NFL

Makes me think of Belichik trading guys before they get to their contract year and the Steelers who just say buhbye and draft a replacement

Makes me think of Belichik trading guys before they get to their contract year and the Steelers who just say buhbye and draft a replacement

He and they do that at less than premium positions.

BB went out a paid big money for Gilmore, trader picks for Revis. The Steelers went out and traded multiple picks for Joe Haden.

A CB1 is far to valuable to just not pay because **** it.

Back
Top Bottom