Xavien Howard Records Interception In His Return To The Field During Pro Bowl | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Records Interception In His Return To The Field During Pro Bowl

I honestly can’t believe there’s people out there that just want to trade a young CB that was one of the only true bright spots on that defense. Yeah let’s create another hole in an already shitty defense. You don’t trade young talent you build around them.

I honestly can’t believe there’s people out there that just want to trade a young CB that was one of the only true bright spots on that defense. Yeah let’s create another hole in an already ****ty defense. You don’t trade young talent you build around them.
In fairness, I don't think anyone "wants to trade" him.

Some just have the opinion that there is a financial line where it doesn't make sense, and any reasonable person should agree.

The difference of opinion is, where to draw that line.

In fairness, I don't think anyone "wants to trade" him.

Some just have the opinion that there is a financial line where it doesn't make sense, and any reasonable person should agree.

The difference of opinion is, where to draw that line.

Naw some want to trade him for a 1st just for ammo to draft a QB in 2020.

Apparently to some, Tua or some other QB in 2020 is going to fix all this teams problems :lol:

Apparently to some, Tua or some other QB in 2020 is going to fix all this teams problems :lol:

I mean I don’t get whats so funny.

If you could guarantee Tua (or whoever the top QB prospect will be) right now, in 2020, by trading X for a first . . . .i make that deal every single time.

I mean thats the no brainer of all no brainers

I guess some may see it that way. That's a dangerous game though. High pick QBs are hardly ever a sure thing.

Makes me think of Belichik trading guys before they get to their contract year and the Steelers who just say buhbye and draft a replacement

The Patriots have only been able to do that because 1) They’re a well coach team and 2) They have the most important position to be great at and that’s QB.

If you could guarantee Tua (or whoever the top QB prospect will be) right now, in 2020, by trading X for a first . . . .i make that deal every single time.

Well sure, in theory if there is a team stupid enough to trade us a pick that could be used on a top QB for a player on an expiring contract, you take that trade every time, but that's not how it works.

Some want to trade X for a first NOW, and then figure out how to move up with all this ammo in 2020, because apparently an exciting young QB is all that's needed to have a good football team.

That's not how it's done correctly, you build a good team first and then either let a QB you like fall to you, or make a reasonable trade up AFTER your good team is already in place.

You don't go all Dan Snyder RGMe mode and trade whatever the f*** assets you have to desperately acquire a shiny new QB who will theoretically fix all your teams problems, it doesn't work.

Only stupid owners who like to intervene in football decisions do things like this, so it will likely will happen here pretty soon and many fans will be happy lol.

Last edited:

Completely agree with you. If packaging Howard puts you in position to get the most important player on the field then it should absolutely be on the table as an option. There’s nothing funny about that.

Of course you better be sure about that Qb.

Drafting a top flight qb prospect sounds amazing. Until reality slaps you in the face.

Need a team first then add the qb. Colts are a great example. Luck is all world, but they aint won **** with him because the team failed him.

Wilson has won plenty because he was drafted by a team that was stacked..

Completely agree with you. If packaging Howard puts you in position to get the most important player on the field then it should absolutely be on the table as an option. There’s nothing funny about that.

Right, problem being we would need to trade X now to get some value for him, and any compensation received would not guarantee whichever QB you like from the 2020 draft class.

When big names like Tua are available with a draft pick, it's going to take more than any player on an expiring contract to move up for them lol.

Sign X now and worry about QB later, this isn't 2020...

Right, problem being we would need to trade X now to get some value for him, and any compensation received would not guarantee whichever QB you like from the 2020 draft class.

When big names like Tua are available with a draft pick, it's going to take more than any player on an expiring contract to move up for them lol.

Sign X now and worry about QB later, this isn't 2020...

You’re right! If you sign him with that plan on mind for the Qb in 2020. I assum packing him in a trade means that team would have to take on that contract as well. Which at $14-16M per is likely not happening. The guy is Howard! Not Deion Sanders.

You’re right! If you sign him with that plan on mind for the Qb in 2020. I assum packing him in a trade means that team would have to take on that contract as well. Which at $14-16M per is likely not happening. The guy is Howard! Not Deion Sanders.

Build the team first and then get your QB, or patiently let that QB come to you.

Or ignore the team, trade whatever it takes to get your shiny new QB and become the Redskins (hey at least Snyder sold a lot of jersey's!).

Will it really though?

2019 - 1.2 million
2020 - $15 million (franchise tag)

Signs for 4/80 for 2021 to 2024 ($20 million AAV. . . .more than 20% higher than top dawg)

So 6 year/97.2 million or 16.2 million AAV from 2019 to 2024

Or Sign him today for 6/96 ($16 million AAV, resetting the CB market)

There is no difference financially . . . .except you gave yourself an extra 2 years to see if he can remain healthy and play at a high level.
IMHO, the franchise tag is absolutely an option here. But the best way it can be used is leverage for a longer term deal. There was no reason to pay over the top by a lot for a slot receiver. I think we made the right call on Jarvis Landry not signing him to a mega-contract that would have been an anchor around our necks. But, CB1 is a vitally important position, and one that shuts WR1's down and generates lots of takeaways … that's exactly what you pay for. Howard has the chance to become like Richard Sherman in his prime, but without the vocal baggage. I'd definitely pay a premium for that. But, it's not going to be 20M, because that's not a new bar, that's a new stratosphere. Tannenbaum left town, we're done passing out candy … I hope.

So work on a contract, if it doesn't work out franchise tag him next year at the last possible moment and keep working on a long term contract. That's about all we can do. Trading him for a 1st round pick is a loss, we're not going to get a CB of his caliber with that pick (most likely), and if we do it'll take several years for him to reach that level and we'll be in the same situation all over again. If we trade him for picks, they need to be in the 2020 draft though, because that's when we'll need ammo to trade up for a good QB.

Of course you better be sure about that Qb.
And there's the rub. There are no guarantees on Tua, or any other QB.

Build the team first and then get your QB, or patiently let that QB come to you.

Or ignore the team, trade whatever it takes to get your shiny new QB and become the Redskins (hey at least Snyder sold a lot of jersey's!).

I mean you can go to extremes or deal with the scenario at hand.

If trading X for a first aids you in a trade up for the top QB in 2020, then you have played the game proper.

The idea is not taking on a massive multiyear deal in favor of losing a favorable rookie deal.

In this scenario you ensure a favorable rookie deal on your QB of the future while losing a top CB but also losing a top CB contract.

You never lose a theoretical 2021 first or some sort of sum of draft picks required.

Which is ideal. Rookie contracts are the fundamental building blocks of great teams. Its when those contracts turn into multi milion dollar deals that a team needs to regroup.

Back
Top Bottom