Xavien Howard Records Interception In His Return To The Field During Pro Bowl | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Records Interception In His Return To The Field During Pro Bowl

And there's the rub. There are no guarantees on Tua, or any other QB.

Exactly. You beat me to the point.

The only guarantee is we better start to understand how vital that quarterback position is, and make frequent attempts to get it right.

Piece by piece is conventional wisdom miscarriage.

I mean you can go to extremes or deal with the scenario at hand.

If trading X for a first aids you in a trade up for the top QB in 2020, then you have played the game proper.

The idea is not taking on a massive multiyear deal in favor of losing a favorable rookie deal.

In this scenario you ensure a favorable rookie deal on your QB of the future while losing a top CB but also losing a top CB contract.

You never lose a theoretical 2021 first or some sort of sum of draft picks required.

Which is ideal. Rookie contracts are the fundamental building blocks of great teams. Its when those contracts turn into multi milion dollar deals that a team needs to regroup.
Not all positions are valued equally. Obviously, QB is the most important, and without a good QB, it truly is sledding uphill to win a Super Bowl, with very few exceptions, it's just not done. But after QB, there's a short list of most valued positions, and on that 2nd tier are positions like LT, pass rusher, CB1 and FS. Those guys are worth their weight in platinum and if you do finally get one, you shouldn't let them go. I feel that way about X. Howard. Price definitely matters, but paying him as one of the top 5 at his position seems like an easy decision, pay him.

If we can't work out a long term contract, then franchise tag him and keep working on it. I'd rather not let an elite CB1 get away. Sure, we can get a 1st for him, and use that to move up in 2020, and I'm not going to complain too much if that's what we do, but there's no way that draft pick brings us the value of an elite CB1. Bad franchises let players like that get away. Good ones keep their best cornerstone players. I'd like to think that with Tannenbaum gone, we're finally going to start acting like a good franchise. Making X the highest paid CB on a 5 or 6 year contract, sounds fair to me. Paying him 20M a year does not.

If we trade him and use that pick to somehow move up in the 2019 draft, that would be the absolute dumbest thing we could possibly do. If we use it to get a franchise QB in 2020, then I'll get over it. But still, good franchises don't let great CB's leave.

I mean you can go to extremes or deal with the scenario at hand.

If trading X for a first aids you in a trade up for the top QB in 2020, then you have played the game proper.

The idea is not taking on a massive multiyear deal in favor of losing a favorable rookie deal.

In this scenario you ensure a favorable rookie deal on your QB of the future while losing a top CB but also losing a top CB contract.

You never lose a theoretical 2021 first or some sort of sum of draft picks required.

Which is ideal. Rookie contracts are the fundamental building blocks of great teams. Its when those contracts turn into multi milion dollar deals that a team needs to regroup.

The scenario at hand is you have to make a decision now on whether or not to trade X, and no 2020 QB is guaranteed even if you move him for a 2020 1st which in and of itself would be difficult.

This is not an extreme, this is reality, like how Snynder set the Redskins back a decade moving up for RGMe when his coach reportedly didn't want to trade up, hopefully Ross isn't that dumb but I won't hold my breath.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...of-shanahan-wanted-to-stay-put-for-tannehill/

Last edited:
This is part of what happens when you don't draft and develop talent well. We have NOTHING behind Howard and are crippled because of it. Now you're in a situation where you have to pay him.

Yeah we NEED to pay him right now because if we dont we may only win 4 games next year but if we do we can win 7!

Drafting a top flight qb prospect sounds amazing. Until reality slaps you in the face.

Need a team first then add the qb. Colts are a great example. Luck is all world, but they aint won **** with him because the team failed him.

Wilson has won plenty because he was drafted by a team that was stacked..

You're missing the forest for the trees. You can sit there and say the Colts "ain't won ****" all while ignoring that as long as Luck is healthy, they are going to be in the mix. Every year. Because of Luck, and virtually him alone.

Do you want to be a contender? Then go get your QB. I assure you the rest of your team will instantly look better, or at least be rationalized as much.

Not to mention, with the lifeline of a QB in this league, you're gifted 10+ years of drafting opportunity should you get your great QB. Meanwhile, Howard is our draft hit, our star defensive player, and we're having a legitimate debate on whether or not to trade him or pay him.

That's not a knock to the CB position or to Howard, it's a statement that you can't possibly over-value the contribution and importance of a great QB. That's why it's so rare that great QBs get traded in their prime. It's not a question of do we trade him or pay him like it is with a CB. You just pay them and thank god you have one.

Get your QB, or you really don't have much of a team anyway.

For what he’s asking for I don’t see them paying that much for him. These trade rumors might actually hold merit, and if he actually does get traded they’ll be in FULL rebuild mode with new players across the board.

His asking price is a little steep.

Xavien Howard - DB - Dolphins
Donlphins CB Xavien Howard admits to hearing trade rumors as he prepares to head into the final year of his rookie contract.

Howard stated after the season ended that he wants to be the highest-paid corner in the league, besting Josh Norman's $15 million per year. We haven't seen any concrete rumors reported by the media, but there's speculation whether Miami will want to pay Howard accordingly when the team is in full rebuild mode. Howard is a 26-year-old (in July) fast-rising star and would certainly fetch a nice haul for the Dolphins draft picks-wise. His only concern is a knee injury history.

Donlphins CB Xavien Howard admits to hearing trade rumors as he prepares to head into the final year of his rookie contract.

Howard stated after the season ended that he wants to be the highest-paid corner in the league, besting Josh Norman's $15 million per year. We haven't seen any concrete rumors reported by the media, but there's speculation whether Miami will want to pay Howard accordingly when the team is in full rebuild mode. Howard is a 26-year-old (in July) fast-rising star and would certainly fetch a nice haul for the Dolphins draft picks-wise. His only concern is a knee injury history.

I would bet the Skins are not happy with their predicament since making Josh the highest paid CB in the league, FWIW.

Thanks brother!

"Xavien who?"

I love X, but maybe would bring this printed out to the negotiating table.

86802efad4a68165e26e6f974e1c8be0

Last edited:
By the time this team is good enough to consistently compete for the playoffs X will be nearing 30. I hate losing good players but if we are rebuilding I'd rather trade him for a 1st and a 4th than make him the highest paid corner in the league while missing the playoffs the next couple years.

Trading him for a 1st and a 4th would actually be quite refreshing. As opposed to letting him walk like Vernon or Miller. And for once we'd actually be getting picks for a guy as opposed to the reverse

Back
Top Bottom