Xavien Howard Seems Happy About The Flores Hire | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Seems Happy About The Flores Hire

I didn't say that but don't try to make it sound as if he just wants a fair deal. Getting paid as the highest Corner is asking a lot and yes, I understand he wants to start high to get the best possible deal and that's fine with me. We just have to do a deal that is fair for both sides and not just good for him.

That’s how all negotiations work. You just described how most contract negotiations in the NFL go. So why so up-in-arms here?

maybe it's because everything out of his mouth to-date has been the opposite of what our new coach just laid out as his guiding principals. X has not (yet) shown himself to be a "team first" kind of guy... In fact, he has gone out of his way to say the exact opposite. That has me worried that he will get shopped.

maybe it's because everything out of his mouth to-date has been the opposite of what our new coach just laid out as his guiding principals. X has not (yet) shown himself to be a "team first" kind of guy... In fact, he has gone out of his way to say the exact opposite. That has me worried that he will get shopped.

How about some examples of this?

I'm jus thinking of his comments around wanting to be the highest paid at his position. Not only thinking it, but advertising it is the opposite of a team first person in my opinion.

Negotiation tactic or not, that rubbed me wrong the moment it hit the internet. That is not something a leader or team first player does (in my opinion).

I also think I remember an article (maybe it was a post here) that quoted him saying (in response to trade rumors) something along the line of "it didn't matter to him where he played, he would still be busting his butt."

So you have a single example, and it’s his desire to get paid?

I don’t understand why fans get up in arms about contracts and salary cap.

Wanting to be the highest paid CB doesn’t mean you’re not a team first guy.

Last edited:

Wanting to be the Hughest paid CB doesn’t mean you’re not a team first guy.

When you’re a mediocre team with no light at the end of the tunnel, I guess it’s one of the few interesting things to follow.

I dont blame players for wanting more money. Heck in every job I have worked I have always wanted max money. Teams cut players the second they see decline. You have to maximize the earning potential when the iron hot. He had a great season. If anyone of us were in his position we would be asking for the max.

That’s how all negotiations work. You just described how most contract negotiations in the NFL go. So why so up-in-arms here?

No one is really "up in arms" about it, except for the guys chiming in ridiculing those who found Howard's comments to be a little premature.

I'm still waiting for Tunsil to tell the world he wants to be the league's highest paid LT. The difference is, he won't...and frankly it won't impact his salary at the end of the day.

Wanting to be the highest paid CB doesn’t mean you’re not a team first guy.

Absolutely, it's tragedy that a situation has been created by team owners and the NFL in which fans are so easily manipulated into thinking that players who want to get paid are seen as selfish, me-first mercs. Dude wants to get paid? Clearly a 'locker-room cancer' and not 'putting the team first'. A bunch of old billionaire team owners - an assortment of entitled racists, sexual predators, shitbags and literal criminals - and their well-paid league executive lackeys somehow convincing gullible people that they're the good guys and it's the players who are being unreasonable. As soon as a player speaks out he's a troublemaker, silenced by the threat of allegedly upsetting the highly sensitive and delicately balanced emotional state of the locker room, a perception continually fueled by conveniently timed stories and leaks from league (and therefore owner's) mouthpiece Adam Schefter.

This is why I will always come out on the side of Le'Veon Bell; a player so obviously being manipulated through the 'flogged half to death through a cheap rookie contract and franchise tag before being cast aside broken to negotiate with another team for some long-term security' process that the league and teams have colluded to create. And all the fans can point to is that "I'd happily go to work for $14mil a year, what's his problem?" What's his problem? More like what's the ****ing billionaire team owner's problem paying market value and offering him some security to a player who has put himself and his health on the line (and don't even get me started on the league and owner's attitudes towards concussions and brain injuries)? It's a crying shame that fans see players as the ones causing issues when they want to get paid. "But he's selfish because of the effect that it will have on our cap". Well who the hell benefits the most from the cap? And who has the power to step aside next time the CBA is negotiated? Yep you guessed it, not the players. The owners and league implement a cap to protect their wealth, and then claim that a player is harming the team and it;s cap situation wanting too much, and it's generally accepted that the players are the problem in this situation?

So if a player wants to maximise his earnings in the short time that he has playing the game (and risking his health while he does so) then I say go for it, I don't begrudge any player wanting to do so, and certainly not because of some bullshit invented number that owners lean on to protect their wealth and use as a 'not putting the team first' stick to beat anyone who challenges them.

Last edited:
Jarvis wanted the most money in the NFL but he signed for 3rd most. Xavien deserves the money, at the very least top 5. That is close to 15 million per year. The top 8 corners in the league make 13 to 15 million and X is definitely top 8 in the league, The guy wants as close to 15 million per year, there is no doubt he wont turn down 13 or 14 million per year... which would be a steal for him.

This is why players have agents. Xavien is being coached by his agent as all athletes deserve to be. Don't make the same mistake we made with Jarvis Landry... Jarvis wasn't even worth it in some people's eyes because he was a slot receiver, but Howard is a lock down corner ace interception machine. He won us 2 games this years on interceptions alone. If this team wants to rebuild you have to do it by keeping your good pieces and building on that foundation.

Some players are easily replaced, as we saw with Jarvis and Albert Wilson, but some are not. We have never had a cornerback as great as Howard. His instincts are off the charts, you can't teach or coach that into someone's game.

I'm not of the opinion that he isn't worth paying, all I'm stating is the possibility of our new coach looking at his recent behavior (single example) and thinking what this player is advertising may not align with the coaches beliefs. that's it.

I'm also not suggesting he should be traded either. I'm merely raising the point that there may be a difference in philosophy between the 2 that causes him to get shopped. that's it.

I'm not of the opinion that he isn't worth paying, all I'm stating is the possibility of our new coach looking at his recent behavior (single example) and thinking what this player is advertising may not align with the coaches beliefs. that's it.

I'm also not suggesting he should be traded either. I'm merely raising the point that there may be a difference in philosophy between the 2 that causes him to get shopped. that's it.
Flores will be starting off on the wrong foot walking the same path that Gase did...

After the possible cuts, if Howard gets his contract, how does it affect the team next season? Will we be so close to the cap that Mike Hull will have to take a pay cut?

Back
Top Bottom