Xavien Howard. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard.

Dynastybuilder

Club Member
Reaction score
I apologize if i've missed a thread on this topic. In my opinion, the fortunes of the Dolphins season rest as much on his return to being a pro bowl level player as much as anything else. OK, I'll cede the O-line. However, if Howard returns to form then having a top 5-10 D becomes a real possibility. I've been thinking they might have Howard play some FS, what do you guys think about that? Clearly the most talented ball hawk on this team. That's if NI or anyone else can transition to outside CB. I'm not saying all snaps, just some. I'll wait for responses.

i appreciate the enthusiasm, but i don't see a top 5-10 D overall with what looks to be a pass-rush by committee. there is potential to be a lot better than last year though.
the secondary should in theory be very flexible and be based on assignments more than traditional positions. speaking by the contract numbers, i would prefer if X and Byron Jones play the big-money position, whichever those are in that moment.

Hope that X comes back strong. However, the hopes of the Dolphins are not purely dependent on this. With all of the key Defensive acquisitions in free agency and the Draft (eg Kyle Van Noy, Byron Jones, Emanuel Ogbah, Shaq Lawson, Noah Igbinoghene, Raekwon Davis, Kamu Grugier-Hill, Elandon Roberts, Brandon Jones, etc, etc) it is clear that we have had a big talent injection. The return of a healthy Xavien Howard is a definite plus but I think the bigger factor for projecting the Dolphin season is how well and how quickly the O-line comes together.

Last edited:
Howard is not going to get a look or play free safety. With Howard and Jones on the outside, it’s going to be tough for offense of lines to hold the pass rush to a minimum. I think with all the youth and talent that’s been added, it’s gonna be fun watching this defense.

I think if all the new parts contribute and the holdovers play up to their capabilities they can be a just outside the Top 10 type Defense.

More likely middle of the league which would be a big enough jump.

Next off season they hopefully add a legit pass rusher that would put the front 7 over the top.

The past 2 seasons teams picked on the Cowboy’s 2nd and 3rd CBs all game over throwing at Jones. If Howard is healthy that puts him in the perfect position to see a high volume of targets towards number 2 WRs. Given Howard’s skill set I can’t imagine any scenario Flores and Co. would like more than to see him on the outside taking advantage of these match ups.

I don’t like to knock ideas, but I don’t see any scenario where Howard ends up playing FS. Our scheme needs as many good CBs as possible and I don’t see Flores moving a Pro Bowl caliber player to an unfamiliar position.

I apologize if i've missed a thread on this topic. In my opinion, the fortunes of the Dolphins season rest as much on his return to being a pro bowl level player as much as anything else. OK, I'll cede the O-line. However, if Howard returns to form then having a top 5-10 D becomes a real possibility. I've been thinking they might have Howard play some FS, what do you guys think about that? Clearly the most talented ball hawk on this team. That's if NI or anyone else can transition to outside CB. I'm not saying all snaps, just some. I'll wait for responses.

That really would not be a bad Idea of putting X at free Saftie. His agressiveness to play and challenge for the ball would be scary when seeing him there.

Obviously as you said, you can't or should exclusively use him at safety, considering he is one of our two best Corners, but moving him to FS at times would be fun if he's healthy.

That really would not be a bad Idea of putting X at free Saftie. His agressiveness to play and challenge for the ball would be scary when seeing him there.

Obviously as you said, you can't or should exclusively use him at safety, considering he is one of our two best Corners, but moving him to FS at times would be fun if he's healthy.

I might be alone here, but I think the move hurts your corner play more than it helps your safety situation.

I might be alone here, but I think the move hurts your corner play more than it helps your safety situation.

It could if you took X from playing Corner, but in certain situations (Very rarely, Like a corner blitz, but...) moving him to Safety, and allowing him to play centerfield could bring more turnovers, while keeping QBs more honest.

Though it realistically won't happen much, there will be times where teams will try to stay away from both Jones and Howard, and try to pick away on other DB, putting Howard at FS is the X factor, considering you don't know where he will be.

I could be and probably am out of my mind to think this, but I kind of like it, and the possibilities.

I buy it, mostly because I think Lawson and Ogbah are gonna be massive upgrades at DE. They're both in their prime, both high draft picks and I think both will produce in the run and pass.

Weaver is a wild card, but we should know early if he has pass rush ability.

Van Noy is where I'm not sure if he's going to start declining.

Raekwon Davis is another wild card. If he plays like Darryl Gardener used to, the run defense just got better. Possibly even making our stunts more effective.

I don’t like the thought of Howard playing FS. He’s the third highest paid corner in the NFL, he’s a boundary corner. He’s not a nickel corner and when he’s played nickel shadowing receivers he’s struggled. Yes he’s a great ballhawk but there’s more that goes into playing safety then just that. The plan of having to good corners on both sides gives the defense so much versatility everywhere else

You pay the guy big money because he is an excellent CB and then you switch him to Safety?

A less important position that is easier to fill?

OK................................. :eyepop:

We need X to get over the injury bug. Until that happens this defense is always going to be held back over the course of the season, but if he does this defense can be as good as any in the league because he is elite. Noah is key to this defense as well because if we hit on that pick we could easily have the top 3 corner group in the league which is rather important obviously.

Back
Top Bottom