Xavien Howard’s Future | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard’s Future

I thought this was an X thread, and how to keep him or get as much for him as possible, but it's a let's give the Texans an even bigger gift, then what they gave up two years ago, because someone wants Watson.

I'd be okay with trading him, get a mid round 1st this year and a 2nd next year. If it's a late round 1st then get a another 1st in 2022.Use the draft capital to make our offense a threat. Smith + Pitts + Harris gives Tua every chance to succeed!

Not cool not to pay a guy who deserves it. He does everything you ask and more, shows his value and then you have a problem with that? Unless he is in decline, he earned it, you pay him.

nah the team does. They can hold him all the way to training camp and if watson holds out, into the season he will lose millions. Once it hits a players pocketbook, the more likely they take things seriously. The texans could play hardball like that. I think they will let things go and eventually try to work with Watson again or get a hc he likes.
The fines will total about $2.5 million if he sits out the season...

It staggers our knees because most of us punch a clock. People like Watson (net worth $24 million) can absorb that and come out the same at the end.

If you were Howard, you’d want more money given how much Byron Jones is on.

A lot will depend on the growth and belief in Noah Igbo.... yeah him. If he can step up, I believe we may be willing to let Howard go. I mean why else use a first round pick on a CB when you have Jones and Howard?

Of course he could be included in a Watson trade but it would be at the expense of Tua as they seem not to be interested in him which means we could potentially waiting for calls on Tua come draft day and trying to get a high pick like what happened with Rosen.

Bottom line I’d be ok dealing Howard if we got two 1sts IF Noah has improved significantly enough.

I would offer Tua, pick #18 and a 2nd. Nothing more. If the Jets want to jump into the mix, I say call their bluff.

The fines will total about $2.5 million if he sits out the season...

It staggers our knees because most of us punch a clock. People like Watson (net worth $24 million) can absorb that and come out the same at the end.
Except for the fact that if a player holds out and misses time, they are missing out on a year of pay during their prime earning years... as well as endorsement opportunities... and the opportunity to pad their career stats.

Holding out for an entire year, never really helps a player, long term... unless they end up with a new, very long term contract that they actually play through to it's end... and many times, this doesn't happen either as the player tails off and never sees the back end money.

Except for the fact that if a player holds out and misses time, they are missing out on a year of pay during their prime earning years... as well as endorsement opportunities... and the opportunity to pad their career stats.

Holding out for an entire year, never really helps a player, long term... unless they end up with a new, very long term contract that they actually play through to it's end... and many times, this doesn't happen either as the player tails off and never sees the back end money.
Missing out on a year of pay?

Ok...so he ends his career (2 contracts) with $140 million instead of $200 million.

Endorsements?

Nike, Snickers, Rolex, and Beats by Dre aren't going anywhere. In fact, they may retouch his deal seeing the attention it will bring.

I am of the feeling that many players are "professional" football players...especially the ones who try to dictate a situation in their favor.

All that to say that the Texans are the ones to lose out here. Watson is "negotiating" from a position of strength.

For this to work... he would have to sign... and then complete an entire 4-5 year contact... meaning that he'd have to continue playing at a high enough level for a team not to cut him when his salary outstripped his fading performance... obviously we see this with players literally all the time.

...and advertisers flee from controversy... and never want their shiny, happy p.r. stars to hold out. I'm sure you realize this.

...and this would be after he lost his salary for this year and was forced to repay past bonus money for noncompliance with his signed contract... plus fines.

I'm so sick of hearing about Watson. He's not on our team and there's a 99.9% chance that he'll never be.
Well... given that is is the offseason, what should we discuss other than potential ways to improve our team?

Back
Top Bottom