XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS

Can anyone verify this?? The guy who started the thread seems like a guy who's been around a while and pretty well respected.

XTRA 570 is the PFT (and PFT is the national enquirer of internet media) of radio. Anything said there should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Sorry guys, I call BS. John Clayton's been reporting for weeks (including just this afternoon) that San Diego will keep both QB's this year and their GM really believes that Rivers is their future.

Anyway, there's no way they could pull this off cap wise. They started the offseason about $20M under the cap. From what I understand they franchised Brees (so that's about $8-9M). Getting rid of Rivers would cost $14M against this year's cap. They would then need to sign Edwards ($6-8M), Surtain ($7M), their #28 pick ($2-3M), and the rest of their picks. From a simple calculation they would be about $20M over the cap. We could hold off on actually completing the trade until after June 1st and just draft players for eachother which would reduce Rivers cap number for the upcoming season to $7M but they would still be over $14M over the cap.

BTW regardless of the fact that this is complete BS, I love the idea of getting Rivers because his huge signing bonus doesn't count against the cap once he gets traded. So he would be very reasonable - cap wise for us. However, as I said before, this won't happen.

caneaddict said:
Sorry guys, I call BS. John Clayton's been reporting for weeks (including just this afternoon) that San Diego will keep both QB's this year and their GM really believes that Rivers is their future.

Anyway, there's no way they could pull this off cap wise. They started the offseason about $20M under the cap. From what I understand they franchised Brees (so that's about $8-9M). Getting rid of Rivers would cost $14M against this year's cap. They would then need to sign Edwards ($6-8M), Surtain ($7M), their #28 pick ($2-3M), and the rest of their picks. From a simple calculation they would be about $20M over the cap. We could hold off on actually completing the trade until after June 1st and just draft players for eachother which would reduce Rivers cap number for the upcoming season to $7M but they would still be over $14M over the cap.

Well.. That pretty much puts an end to this rumor... :lol: :up:

I was really sortve hoping it was true though.. :(

death7star said:
if we trade down to the 12th we miss any chance of getting a big 3 RB.
I dunno. I could see one of them sliding, for whatever reason. And if that RB slides that far, we probably wouldn't pick him anyway...for whatever reason.

SkapePhin said:
Why do you feel this way?

Rivers has a MUCH better college resume' than Smith, has better measurables, and can be had cheaper.. Id take Rivers over Smith in a heart beat.
all anyone has to do is look at the last game rivers played in (the all-star one) to understand that the kid makes things happen. I'd take the deal and squeal like a little girl!

I dont think it would be a bad trade ... would basically be saying trade the #2 for Rivers and Trade Surtain for their #12.

Not to mention ... would love to get Rivers.

DolfanDaveInATX said:
XTRA is 690, not 570.
He is from California, so it is 570.

http://www.xtrasportsradio.com/main.html

clear.gif

DonShula84 said:
#2 pick and Surtain for Rivers and the #12? no way. They have to give us more than that.
Agreed. Rivers was my favorite Qb in last years draft so Im a fan of this trade but I think Id need to see a 3rd and 5th in there to make it worth for me.

Back
Top Bottom