Yahoo Sports: Dolphins shopping second pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yahoo Sports: Dolphins shopping second pick

Dirtywater said:
What is the general feeling in Fin land? Do you guys want the #2 pick, or would you prefer to trade it for value in more picks since you are without a 2nd or 3rd?

That is a hard pick to pass up as a fan.

Personally, I don't think keeping the 2nd is going to happen. And, it wouldn't bother me if we traded. However, I'm generally indifferent.

If we keep the pick, I simply hope it's not another defensive player. I know "defense wins championships"... but frankly, we need to show favor with the offensive side of the ball for a while. And currently, we need more "youth" skill players on offense. McMichael is up for contract and Chambers just re-signed. Feeley isn't exactly young and none of our backs are very young. Most are in or nearing their "second" contracts. We need a high profile skill player to keep the balance of age equal.

On the other hand, I don't want us to keep the pick simply so we can hear our name. I would prefer we acquire a RB, QB or WR. In that order of importance. WRs and QBs are 3 year projects. However, RBs can begin producing well within the first year. And, if we are to "rebuild" AND "stay competitive", we need production from this year's draft.

In my opinion, Feeley is a 4 - 5 year solution at best. So, we must appreciate the opportunity to select a QB this high. But, if Smith or Rogers isn't the kid... then trade down or go after an "elite" caliber offensive playmaker.

As you can see... I really don't care, as long as we make sound judgements.

If Phily wants to trade with us it would take all their 1st day picks..and possibly some next year.

Philly probably doesn't have enough to make a trade up that high.

Dirtywater said:
What is the general feeling in Fin land? Do you guys want the #2 pick, or would you prefer to trade it for value in more picks since you are without a 2nd or 3rd?

My opinion is that it is a deep draft, but no agreed elite players in the top, so for the most part I think we would do well to trade down and acquire more picks at cheaper spots to build a solid core. The only player/position I could see being worthy of the #2 pick is Smith/Qb. It's a gamble, but has the most potential upside for the risk. A starting RB can be had later in the 1st round w/no problems, so not worth spending the pick and the corresponding salary. Smith and Rodgers seem to be the only generally agreed upon viable qbs in this draft, it's a need IMO, and hopefully we won't sniff this high a draft pick again for a long time.

As long as we get reasonable value, we have so many needs it would be hard to go wrong!

if we can use the #1 pick for a trade for Alexander or Edge, i'm all for it, i'd rather have a guaranteed good Rb that take a risk on a rookie

BringBackShula said:
Not really. If the Saints had no problem with Ricky they wouldn't have ever traded him. There would've been no reason to. So if they had drafted Edge, he would give them no problems .
And then we wouldn't have blown two 1st round picks on him. Heeere's your sign.

VanDolPhan said:
Man at least have the subtleness of saying something even minorly trivial to cover up your flagrant bumping :tongue:

Hi, I'm Nabo, and I'm a whore.

:lol: I wanted to keep the thread alive for the evening posters.

I would think a SB contender would be the most likely team to want to trade up with us.

But I am concerned that this talk is going to convince some teams that we really are not convinced about Rodgers and Smith as franchise QBs thus making it less likely that someone will trade up with us to get one of them.

CrunchTime said:
I would think a SB contender would be the most likely team to want to trade up with us.

But I am concerned that this talk is going to convince some teams that we really are not convinced about Rodgers and Smith as franchise QBs thus making it less likely that someone will trade up with us to get one of them.

I could be wrong, but the way I see it, each team has its own scouting department, and wouldn't be influenced that much by how much they think Saban wants or doesn't want to use that pick. I think they;ll approach it from the standpoint of wanting a certain player because they think he's the difference-maker on a team that's close to a championship, and will pay to get him.

Philly simply doesn't have enough picks to do it...

They could trade all their day one picks and it still wouldn't come close to being worth it!

So, let's bag that idea right now.

Dirtywater said:

We have a 3rd we had 2 but traded 1 away......... :cooldude:

Back
Top Bottom