Yikes, Bills fire Offensive Coordinator | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yikes, Bills fire Offensive Coordinator

The Offence wasn't simple enough? Are you kidding me?

September 6, 2009, 9:09 PM ET
Schonert says O 'wasn't simple enough'

The Buffalo Bills remain a team in turmoil as former offensive coordinator Turk Schonert told a Buffalo television station Friday afternoon he was fired because the Bills' offense "wasn't simple enough" for coach Dick Jauron.
"He wants a 'Pop Warner' offense," Schonert said in a phone interview with WIVB. "He limited me in formations, and limited me in plays. He's been on my back all offseason."
Schonert said he was fired by Jauron during a Friday morning meeting. ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen reported Saturday that Bills owner Ralph Wilson Jr. had a meeting at his Detroit home with Jauron, general manager Russ Brandon, quarterback coach Alex Van Pelt and running back coach/running game coordinator Eric Studesville.

A Bills spokesperson would neither confirm nor deny a meeting occurred.
Friday afternoon in a press conference, Jauron said Schonert was fired for a "lack of productivity," though he also said the fault was not all Schonert's.
The Bills' offensive starters failed to score a touchdown in five preseason games after ranking 25th in the NFL in offense in 2008, Schonert's first as the team's play-caller.
Though nervous in taking over as the Bills new offensive coordinator, Van Pelt has the players behind him after several expressed concerns about Schonert.
Both quarterback Trent Edwards and receiver Lee Evans supported the move after the team returned to practice Sunday to start preparing for its season opener at New England on Sept. 14. Both indicated players had voiced their concerns about the offensive sputters to coach Dick Jauron, who ultimately made the decision to fire Schonert on Friday.
"I think everybody had concerns about it," Evans said. "I think the basis of it was that things weren't getting done the right way. And that was the cause of the change."
Jauron said while the firing of Schonert was a relatively new idea to him, it wasn't one he wanted to sit on for long.
"When you make a decision you know when you should do it," Jauron said. "I wasn't thinking about firing him three days ago. I wasn't thinking about it two weeks ago. And when you start to think about it, I think you need to move on it and do something. Clearly I believe it's the right thing to do."
Schonert said the problem was the complexity of his system.
"He [Jauron] told me the offense wasn't simple enough for him," Schonert said. "We had too many formations, too many plays. I didn't simplify it to his liking."

Bills fans think it is a good thing.....they don't understand why the rest of us like it even better than they do!

Bill Parcells was a former TV guy.

AVP was a Buffalo Bill for 10 years, backed up Jim Kelly, then coached in college, then was the OC in NFL Europe, then QB coach.

His background is a lot like Jason Garrett for Dallas. Jim Kelly has been saying for years they need to give AVP the OC job.

But for some reason they haven't given him the job...Until now...In the pre season..

But for some reason they haven't given him the job...Until now...In the pre season..

For some reason? The reason was Ralph Wilson. Dick Jauron wouldnt fire anyone, I dont care what he says.

I think Schonert did kind of get screwed though, he didnt even get to have Terrell Owens for more than 5 plays in the preseason. Oh well.

Bills fans think it is a good thing.....they don't understand why the rest of us like it even better than they do!

We will find out wont we?

I didnt know you thought Turk Schonert was such a great coach. Maybe he should join the Dolphins.

No, I'm content with what we have. But I deinately would not be waiting until week4 of the preseason to replace my OC with a guy that has never done the job before. Especially considering DJ's seat has got to be getting hotter and hotter.

No, I'm content with what we have. But I deinately would not be waiting until week4 of the preseason to replace my OC with a guy that has never done the job before. Especially considering DJ's seat has got to be getting hotter and hotter.

Its a win win season for the Bills, if we stink DJ is gone, if we win, well everyone loves winning.

So I can find a positive in all of this. We have GM who is a marketing guy and seems to be focused on big name acquisitions.

Hopefully he goes after a big name coach next year.

I could realistically see Cowher or Shanahan in Buffalo next season, which sucks for us...

I could realistically see Cowher or Shanahan in Buffalo next season, which sucks for us...

I dont know if Ralph will pay those guys. If Cowher wants to coach, I know the Bills will call. We have a connection because Cowher and Modrak are good friends. But we will have to wait and see. Shanhan will not be in buffalo, no way no how. Shanahan in Dallas or Washington next year.

Back
Top Bottom