You are the GM: Decide Mike Pouncey's fate | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You are the GM: Decide Mike Pouncey's fate

What should we do with Pouncey?

• Let him play for 2015 under $7.5M tag

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Sign him to long term deal <$5M per year

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Sign him to long term deal >$5M per year

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • Release him and find another option

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Per everyones 'dream' off season we need to go ahead and replace

2 DT's - Starks / Odrick
2 LB's - Ellerbe / Wheeler
1 CB - Finnegan
6 OL - Satelle / Colledge / Fox / Thomas / Garner / Pouncey
2 WR - Gibson / Hartline

13 players total not counting other bottom feeder players. (I assume we bring back Delmas?)

9-10 of which are 'Starter' caliber.

You are asking this team to hit money on every draft pick and then throw decent coin at FA's.
Regardless of what happens at DT with Starks and Odrick we need a DT either in the draft or FA. We've used a 3 player rotation with Starks, Odrick and Mitchell and I think that has a lot to do with the recent downtrend of the D-lines ability to stop the run. Not enough depth.

Ellerbe and Wheeler don't need to be replaced...they've already been replaced. Jenkins has played better than Ellerbe so that contract and player are no longer needed. Coyle has been using defensive fronts that keep Wheeler on the bench since he's a liability...Misi moving back to SLB or the development of McCain should take care of that spot. We only need one LB in the draft, preferable a Mike backer, and maybe another late round or undrafted player (like McCain) for depth.

Finnegan may retire...CB was a need even without Finnegan retiring. We need probably 2 CBs.

We're not getting rid of Pouncey...he'll play on the option contract for $7.5 million and have to prove his worth. Garner will also be back, he's too versatile not to be...so long as he's physically OK. Dallas Thomas should not be in the NFL but in all likelihood he'll be back next year for depth and I think it's the last year of his contract. The other 3 will most likely be gone.

Gibson and Hartline can be replaced with better players. DeVante Parker or Kevin White will be there when we draft...that takes Hartline's spot. Last year we drafted Matt Hazel and put him on the practice squad, he's the nearly same size as Gibson (Hazel 6'1" 198 lbs) with more speed and a pretty good vertical (4.5 40..36.5" vert.). I would promote him to our 5th WR next year.

At some point you have to improve the character of the team. I've posted countless times regarding the rare mix on the early '70s teams, that they simply hated to lose. It stood out in virtually every interview. The lockerroom would be so silent and devastated after the rare loss that Henry Barrow on WIOD had a difficult time finding anyone to interview for the post game show.

New England is the only team that shares the same characteristics these days. I've mentioned that previously. Very similar to those Dolphins. Smart resourceful group that despises losing to such extent that they offer very little words when it happens, but bounce back in the next game. Almost unheard of to drop two in a row.

I don't doubt that our character issues play a role deeper in the season. Our guys think they care. They don't, not in comparison to players on teams that genuinely do, and can raise their level accordingly.

We need to get bigger and more physical at the interior. Pouncey is not a solution in that regard. You can throw out the versatility argument after what he has shown this season at guard. Not an easy call. Not top priority. I would prefer to move on from him. As always, I don't know or care about salary cap specifics. That didn't exist when I started following this game. I'll let others decipher it.

my biggest concern with pouncey isn't on the field where i feel like he's still a high level talent but needs to bounce back and play better but in the lockerroom...the example he's setting for others...the character the leadership...

if they move on i think it will be more about that than the on field play in this shortened by injury season for him

Back
Top Bottom