You guys understand we are still a year away right? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You guys understand we are still a year away right?

I think we are two years ahead of what that kind of rebuild that was.

Well considering that defense wins championships, I wouldn't say we have no shot. Positive vibes bro

Seriously, I think most of us realize that we are a year away from seriously challenging for a championship.

Stranger things have happened though, and I don't think we have yet peaked with this years potential.

I’ll bet people said the the same thing about NE the season they surprised everyone and beat the greatest show on turf Rams in the SB.

So you’re right. Anything can happen.

Well considering that defense wins championships, I wouldn't say we have no shot. Positive vibes bro
It's very rare that defense wins championships on its own.

It's also very rare that offense wins championships on its own, as well.

If you only look at the SB in a vacuum, then yes, you can make a bit of a case that one side of the ball can be so dominant, that the opponent had no chance.

If you look at a playoff run from late regular season all the way through, most of the time it takes at least a little bit of both.

Unless you are 85 Bears, or 00 Ravens level "D", at some point you have to be able to score.

I’ll bet people said the the same thing about NE the season they surprised everyone and beat the greatest show on turf Rams in the SB.
Pointing to outliers is fine, but they are exactly that, outliers.

I get it. It gives fans hope. It makes for great talk and banter. It isn't something that most ppl really expect to happen though.

Like I said, I don't think we've peaked yet, on either side of the ball.

I'm excited for the possibilities.

It's very rare that defense wins championships on its own.

It's also very rare that offense wins championships on its own, as well.

If you only look at the SB in a vacuum, then yes, you can make a bit of a case that one side of the ball can be so dominant, that the opponent had no chance.

If you look at a playoff run from late regular season all the way through, most of the time it takes at least a little bit of both.

Unless you are 85 Bears, or 00 Ravens level "D", at some point you have to be able to score.

Going by hx, teams in the SB has a solid D AND solid O. Yeah, there are the NYGs, but most teams in the SB are solid in all three phases. Umm, and a top QB. I don't think Miami is there yet. Run game on neither side is solid. But, could Miami be the next NYG? yup

Miami will need to overcome a lack of explosive plays in the passing game. It's going to be difficult to beat multiple teams in a row when they all have much better WR's. It's possible, but Miami and Tua will be playing with much smaller margins.

Miami will need to overcome a lack of explosive plays in the passing game. It's going to be difficult to beat multiple teams in a row when they all have much better WR's. It's possible, but Miami and Tua will be playing with much smaller margins.

Yeah! That lack eventually catches up to you.

I don't disagree. Our WR unit has obvious limitations.

That said, I'm of the opinion (fully realizing I'm probably in the minority) that Chan has decades of knowledge at his disposal, and can game plan mismatches, route combos, etc to mitigate the disparity. He has probably forgotten more about offensive football, that most of us ever knew.

Unfortunately, we have another "Achilles heel". Our rushing attack is, to say the least, anemic, and that's hard to overcome with scheme.

Last edited:

That said, I'm of the opinion (fully realizing I'm probably in the minority) that Chan has has decades of knowledge at his disposal, and can game plan mismatches, route combos, etc to mitigate the disparity. He has probably forgotten more about offensive football, that most of us ever knew.

Unfortunately, we have another "Achilles heel". Our rushing attack is, to say the least, anemic, and that's hard to overcome with scheme.

Agree. To state the obvious, the run game helps the pass game and pass game helps the run game. Yeah, a quick speed guy would help, but a quick speed guy AND a run game would help more.

That said, I'm of the opinion (fully realizing I'm probably in the minority) that Chan has decades of knowledge at his disposal, and can game plan mismatches, route combos, etc to mitigate the disparity. He has probably forgotten more about offensive football, that most of us ever knew.

Agree to an extent, but I don't think Miami presents many potential mismatches, so there's a clear limit.

The running game is not nearly as important - barely worth considering at this point.

Agree to an extent, but I don't think Miami presents many potential mismatches, so there's a clear limit.

The running game is not nearly as important - barely worth considering at this point.

I'll agree, but if there is just ONE mismatch, exploit it for 60 minutes. In the case of DEN, injuries to their D may enhance mismatches. For too long Miami's OCs apparently couldn't SPELL 'mismatch'

When you have top 10 defense and an efficient consistent QB, you are in the hunt for SB!
If we can use the WRs we have to efficiently and consistently "matriculate" the ball down the field, a la Patriots, we don't need big plays to compete for SB.

The one thing I admire so far about the Grier/Flores pairing, is their ability to identify players who are exact fits for scheme, development and role for the franchise. Something that didn't seem possible under other regimes in Miami.

Back
Top Bottom