You must lock into a player at #2! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You must lock into a player at #2!

finfan54

Active Roster
Reaction score
Here is why I believe we are drafting Alex Smith and not trading down unless the right compensation is given:

First off, You cannot go into this expecting a trade down. You have to lock into someone or you end up like Minnesota and not make a decision and lose out. You cannot create confusion by saying your taking this guy just to make someone trade up for him or you end up looking like a fool and no one will ever believe you again. Alex Smith is the guy Linehan likes and knows he can make him a franchise QB.

Qb's are a premium much more so than RB's and WR's who are all over the place. Alex Smith would never have been this far up the board if all his skills did not check out. I know i have been preachin this these past few days, but I do not see Smith as a smokescreen. I see him as our prospective Franchise QB who will be with us for many many years as opposed to a RB or WR who are a plenty these days. I think the braintrust knows this and it is a real smart way to look at it. If TB were to offer us big picks, then I think Saban moves, but I think it would take alot for him to change his mind.

And again, when Saban was asked which RB had the best abilities overall he replied......"you tell me". In other words, I can get a RB all day here anyways, I want my franchise QB because you dont get this chance every year.

finfan54 said:
Here is why I believe we are drafting Alex Smith and not trading down unless the right compensation is given:

First off, You cannot go into this expecting a trade down. You have to lock into someone or you end up like Minnesota and not make a decision and lose out. You cannot create confusion by saying your taking this guy just to make someone trade up for him or you end up looking like a fool and no one will ever believe you again. Alex Smith is the guy Linehan likes and knows he can make him a franchise QB.

Qb's are a premium much more so than RB's and WR's who are all over the place. Alex Smith would never have been this far up the board if all his skills did not check out. I know i have been preachin this these past few days, but I do not see Smith as a smokescreen. I see him as our prospective Franchise QB who will be with us for many many years as opposed to a RB or WR who are a plenty these days. I think the braintrust knows this and it is a real smart way to look at it. If TB were to offer us big picks, then I think Saban moves, but I think it would take alot for him to change his mind.

And again, when Saban was asked which RB had the best abilities overall he replied......"you tell me". In other words, I can get a RB all day here anyways, I want my franchise QB because you dont get this chance every year.

I agree with you in the sense that if we stay at #2 Alex Smith should be the pick. But I think Saban would much rather trade down. I don't think Saban is using Smith as a smokescreen. What he is doing is telling everyone, "hey I am taking Smith if I have to pick at #2." Now it's up to teams that either want Smith or want someone else to pony up the picks Saban wants. If Saban get chart value or close to it I think he trades the pick.

i think i agree. we (hopefully) wont be picking this high anytime soon, so we need to take advantage. Also i think there is a larger gap between talent with the top rated qb's to later rd qb's than that of the big 3 compared to later round backs...ALEX SMITH at #2. and what ive been hearing getting to #1 may be just as easy as trading with us.

I have Alex Smith ranked #1 and Braylon Edwards #2 so, if the 49ers pick Smith I say we trade down or take Edwards.

All the talk now is that ALex smith will go #1 to SF if they don't trade. So I love the Ronnie Brown pics even though Benson is a better back.:peebs:

Mel Kiper has Alex Smith rated at #6 on his big board. Ourlad's Scouting Service has him ranked as the 22nd best player available. And as Nick Saban said, there's only a 30% success rate when drafting a QB in the first round. When picking at #2, you have to get value for your pick. And in this year's draft, there is no QB worthy of the #2 pick.

finfan54 said:

If this is the case inregards to Smith, I would rather see Saban make a trade with the Chargers for Rivers.

While I understand your sentiment, I think you are missing some key points. You don't lock into one player - what if SF picks that player?

What you do is this:

You have your players ranked as to who you want at #2.

You run through each scenario of what SF might do. This includes the players they may pick: Rodgers; Smith; Edwards; a RB; etc. Based on each player, you decide what you will do - player wise - with that pick. If they pick Smith - and you are stuck with that pick - who do you go for?

You run through potential SF trade scenarios. E.g., what if they trade with Minnesota - and then you decide who Minnesota might draft (most likely Braylon Edwards); then who do you want? Or, what if Minnesota picks a RB, for example?

Then, in each case you decide what trade offers might be made and from whom. How much are you going to ask for. You might decide with the Bucs, for example, that you would take a bit less than what you would otherwise if the player at #2 is not one you want.

If Smith is there, and you really want Smith, then you decide what you want in return if someone offers to trade into that spot. You also want to know, once they offer a trade, who they are going to pick - or have some idea. Quite often, teams will tell you who they are looking for.

So, the draft is only about zeroing in on which player you want, BASED ON which scenario takes place. That way you are prepared for everything. Prepared based on what happens ahead of you and behind you. You run through each of these before the draft and basically practice it. What you want to do is eliminate the "rash" decisions or indecisiveness at the last moment.

That said, there will be situations where you just aren't sure, going into the draft, exactly who you want!

Here is the problem with your theory. Rodgers & Smith might not be franchise type QB's. Nobody knows for sure how good they will be. There not a sure thing. If Saban stays at #2, he needs to draft someone that he feels comfortable with. A running back or wide receiver is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom