"You want a better quarterback? Get Penei Sewell!" | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"You want a better quarterback? Get Penei Sewell!"

That's all well and good, but that begs the question. Too many unproven assumptions. What you argue is not so obvious to everyone. It's possible you are correct but maybe not.

I think Chase is the 3rd best WR and 4th best receiver in the draft. I have them ranked as 1) Pitts; 2a/2b) tie - Smith/Waddle (both bring different elements - I can't decide which I like better); 4) Chase.

I don't see Chase as nearly as good a route runner as the other two top WRs. He wins largely on physicality and speed relative to college CBs; and at 6'0, 205 or so, I'm not sure he's going to beat as many NFL CBs - many of whom have comparable size, athleticism, and strength.

It certainly is possible that Chase is better and will be better. But I don't think he is going to be as good. If we draft him, I hope he becomes a truly dominant WR.

And, in several mocks, at 18 you have OTs Darrisaw or Tevin Jenkins available; or any of the centers; and at 36 you have also a top Center likely there or several other IOL or OTs - and if the FO is happy with the potential of Hunt at RT and Jackson at LT, then you can come back and shore up IOL at 18 or 36.

There are multiple ways to go here.

(And I'm not arguing that if Sewell is there and we decide to stay at 6 that we shouldn't take him. I'm okay with that. I'll be pretty happy to see him in a Dolphins uniform).
He is a Sewell or bust.
Make up all kinds of unlikely circumstances to dream about Sewell.

Okay, let me get this straight. You guys want to move Hunt from RT to RG because you think he can be a great RG. Then you want to draft a LT @ 6 and move Jackson from LT to RT. You want to do this despite the fact that Hunt developed into a better RT than Jackson did LT. The rationale is Jackson can't play guard so you want to keep him at OT even if he is a worse OT than Hunt.

IMHO, if you are willing to give Jackson a chance at LT Hunt has done more to prove he should be given a chance at RT. If you spend a OT @ 6 he better be your LT which means you should put Jackson on the bench/trade block.

We should be looking at LG and C. At center I'd want a guy who has experience and brains, not a small school convert that has never played a snap at center or faced top level schemes/stunts/blitzes and talent.

Josh Myers/Michal Menet at C and/or Trey Smith/Aaron Banks at LG are the types I'd be looking at considering where I think they will fall in the draft. Teams don't pick their best athletes to be centers. By the same token you don't draft 6'3" OT's with short arms in the first no matter what some draft guru said.

I'd be looking to add LG and C no sooner than the 4th round myself. If Trey Smith didn't have health concerns he wouldn't make it out of the 2nd round so I'll take the gamble if he is there later on. Dickerson has has too many injuries and I don't think Creed is going to be all that in the NFL when he is up against grown powerful men. I'm not burning a 2nd for either one.

We all have opinions and these are just mine.
Yes, move aound the whole OL to justify drafting Sewell. Exactly an internet GM would do. Creating more uncertainty for the whole unit because you fall in love with one player, yes why not.

How many oline does everyone plan on carrying? I constantly see mocks with 2,3,4 oline picks.
Jackson, Flowers, Skura, Kindley, Hunt, Davis, Dieter. I do t see moving on from them at this point. That's 7. I think we carry 8. Nine seems like alot.
Doesn't matter.....I want all pro across all five at the line. WR, TE, RB be damn.

How many oline does everyone plan on carrying? I constantly see mocks with 2,3,4 oline picks.
Jackson, Flowers, Skura, Kindley, Hunt, Davis, Dieter. I do t see moving on from them at this point. That's 7. I think we carry 8. Nine seems like alot.
I thought we usually carry 9 O.Linemen

No... I am saying that a dominant lineman is a QB's friend. Indeed, he is his best friend. Some QBs rave about their blind-side tackle, while others say the most important man on the field is their Center.

I'm not sure that I've ever heard a QB speak that highly about one of his receivers.

...and the thing is... OUR Center is a jag. OUR blind side Tackle is a Guard playing out of position. The two most important positions on our line are under-staffed.

Would Sewell be THE answer? Maybe... Tevin Jenkins at 18 might work, or Darrisaw...

But there will be a lot more WRs left @18, than there will be prime blind-side tackle candidates.

Thank you. So many people in this thread keep referencing the idea that we "drafted two tackles last year so to draft one this year would be a huge waste!!!1" Uhhhh, Robert Hunt is a Guard and RT is the biggest hole on this team. There is not a legitimate NFL RT on the roster right now, nor is there a legitimate NFL STARTING RB.

RT and RB are our 2 biggest holes to go along with pass catcher that can stay healthy and edge rusher. We need to address those 4 positions with our first 4 picks but in no particular order. Sewell is a much better prospect at T than either Smith or Chase are at WR. If Pitts is gone but Sewell is there, it's a no brainer, you take Sewell and get your pass catcher at 18, 36, 50 or via trade up.

I didn't read the entire thread, so it may have been mentioed earlier, last week when Sewell said he he's been training at left tackle and right tackle I got the feeling that was all about the Dolphins. I can't see many teams thinking about drafting him that high and then using him on the right side, but Miami with a left handed qb would make a lot more sense.

Why is this even up for debate? Sewell will likely get drafted by Cincinnati. If for some reason he does get past, Cincinnati (doubtful), then I'll be okay with it if he turns into the next Orlando Pace. Anything less than that I will be sorely disappointed. I still have the bad taste in my mouth from Jake Long who only lasted a few years with us.

Back
Top Bottom