"You want a better quarterback? Get Penei Sewell!" | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"You want a better quarterback? Get Penei Sewell!"

They actually did purchase a center and a left guard last year and that didn’t do much to improve the offensive line.
The reality is that offensive line play is not that good across the league and the few teams with solid offensive lines are generally the teams that make the playoffs.

The Dolphins need to hire someone in their personnel department who is effective in recognizing quality offensive line play. Because they have done a poor job overall in selecting quality offensive linemen over the past decade. Hopefully the young offensive linemen they drafted last year will develop into solid starters but only time will tell.
The coach makes a huge difference early pick late picks free agents,. The Pats begged their old oline coach to come back he retired and then the Oline went south. A good position coach will make retreads look good.

I really think Pitts goes #4 to Atlanta or whoever they trade it to. Either way, keeping #6, you have a choice of whoever is left between Pitts, Chase, or Sewell. If ATL takes Pitts and CIN takes Chase, we should take Sewell over the 3rd best "receiver" in the draft.

At 18 or 36 you can get a starting receiver (Bateman, Toney, Moore,. The draft always goes different that these experts predict, someone always falls further than expected and some are termed "a reach".

No overthinking, just take who is left of Sewell, Chase or Pitts. We will be in prime postion for trade downs if someone falls unexpectedly as well. Everything is on the table! Cant wait for April 29!!

That's all well and good, but that begs the question. Too many unproven assumptions. What you argue is not so obvious to everyone. It's possible you are correct but maybe not.

I think Chase is the 3rd best WR and 4th best receiver in the draft. I have them ranked as 1) Pitts; 2a/2b) tie - Smith/Waddle (both bring different elements - I can't decide which I like better); 4) Chase.

I don't see Chase as nearly as good a route runner as the other two top WRs. He wins largely on physicality and speed relative to college CBs; and at 6'0, 205 or so, I'm not sure he's going to beat as many NFL CBs - many of whom have comparable size, athleticism, and strength.

It certainly is possible that Chase is better and will be better. But I don't think he is going to be as good. If we draft him, I hope he becomes a truly dominant WR.

And, in several mocks, at 18 you have OTs Darrisaw or Tevin Jenkins available; or any of the centers; and at 36 you have also a top Center likely there or several other IOL or OTs - and if the FO is happy with the potential of Hunt at RT and Jackson at LT, then you can come back and shore up IOL at 18 or 36.

There are multiple ways to go here.

(And I'm not arguing that if Sewell is there and we decide to stay at 6 that we shouldn't take him. I'm okay with that. I'll be pretty happy to see him in a Dolphins uniform).

I'm not sure the point. Nothing I argued there goes against anything you are saying?

I'm okay with OT at 6 as well. I'm simply arguing that the theory is dependent on 20 other working parts and my point is in no way devaluing OT.

A great QB is really valuable as well. The most important position on the field. Would you argue we should have traded up from 3 to 2 to get Zach Wilson? Or should we have stayed at 3 to draft a QB?
Absolutely not. QB is 10 times more important than any other position, imo.

They actually did purchase a center and a left guard last year and that didn’t do much to improve the offensive line.
The reality is that offensive line play is not that good across the league and the few teams with solid offensive lines are generally the teams that make the playoffs.

The Dolphins need to hire someone in their personnel department who is effective in recognizing quality offensive line play. Because they have done a poor job overall in selecting quality offensive linemen over the past decade. Hopefully the young offensive linemen they drafted last year will develop into solid starters but only time will tell.

I tend to agree. I do think the OL they drafted last year have a lot of potential. So it's possible they are improved there (I think they do area scouts over positional scouting).

I especially think they need improvement in their pro player personnel evaluations - on the offensive side of the ball. Last year their choices at RB were lousy and the signing of Flowers, while of temporary importance, did not pan out very well.

Uii UK33 is 333388
Can we just do away with the "shiny new toy" mantra? It's an ad hominem.

I grow weary of the "shiny new toy" remark. Yeah, there are times there's some truth. But it's really a non-sequitur and a rhetorical put down with no argument. A large chunk of people on these boards who want receiver could care less about the "shiny new toy." They happen to have watched some of the worst receiving separation on Miami in human history last year and also happen to value Waddle, or Smith, or Chase very highly. While also recognizing more help is needed at OL.

If we took that "shiny new toy" literally, then we should never draft WR in round 1-2. Ever. Always go meat and potatoes over 'shiny new toy.' We may have 7 Pro Bowl calibre O-linemen - but, don't go WR, you just want the "shiny new toy."

If you were a Niners fans, ca. 1985, would you be saying, "I get fans like the shiny new toy in Jerry Rice, but we need Refrigerator Perry to clog the middle, or Trevor Matich to help out on the IOL."

It has nothing to do with toys. It has to do with a) a desperate need for talent at WR; b) there are some uber talented WRs - in the minds of those who want one; c) a sense that we drafted 3 OL from last year who should improve; and d) Also a recognition that OL is still needed.

I do think we still need more help at OL. Esp. OG & C. I am okay with Sewell at 6. But I also think there is a great chance we will be passing up a massive WR talent in Waddle or Smith. I'd probably prefer to trade down to 9 and see if one of those makes it there. And, I also see value on the OL at 18 and to a lesser degree at 36 and 50.

So it's not ignoring OL needs to go WR at 6. It's simply saying, we love this guy here and we want to wait to later and shore up the interior OL.
No... we can't.

Shiny new pony is too accurate to let go.

#2 has been Zach Wilson for months now. The Jets were never, ever going to draft a LT #2 overall, especially one who has smaller arms than people would like for a tackle.

Tackles don't score points, dude. I don't understand how people continue to think that the NFL in 2021 is the same NFL as 1985 where having an elite LT is super important. It's not anymore.
Tom Brady says hold my beer.

Cause the 2 first round graded Tackles will be gone before 18.

There are multiple first round graded OTs. Not sure how you get that?

Part of the conversation here is meaningless because we are begging the question. If people are operating under the assumption that a) Chase is the best WR; or B) there are only two first round OTs in this draft then that has to first be demonstrated. That's where there's some dispute.

Both Darrisaw and Tevin Jenkins have 1st round grades from a majority of sites. Many quality analysts like Darrisaw as an OT better than Slater and think Slater should be an OG. So, there's that factor.

Heck, Slimm likes Radunz as much as any of those guys. CK has compared him to Joe Staley.

And a lot of folks (myself included) see DaVonta Smith as a potential Marvin Harrison or Isaac Bruce (some see Jerry Rice in him). I see a lot of Marvin Harrison there. And several see Waddle as the best receiver.

Here's Greg Cosell (an exceptional evaluator) on Jaylen Waddle:

"Well, I think Jaylen Waddle is fascinating because Jaylen Waddle to me is very similar to Tyreek Hill in terms of the athletic (ability), the explosive traits, how we can be deployed in the context of an NFL offense ... He is dynamic at all three levels — short, intermediate, vertical.

"I think he's an explosive playmaker. What consistently stood out to me (on film), he is so controlled in his movement. He's so movement-efficient, yet he plays at such a high velocity and speed, and that's rare. Usually guys that play at that velocity and speed don't have that kind of balance and body control. ... He's the kind of receiver that you could put in and move him around and he's a dynamic, explosive weapon. And we know in today's NFL, that's what teams are looking for."

Uii UK33 is 333388

No... we can't.

Shiny new pony is too accurate to let go.

Sorry, pal. It's an ad hominem. If you want expose your inability to have an intelligent conversation or debate, and continue to operate in ignorance, that's your choice, of course. It's unbecoming of any intelligent conversation, unfortunately. So, too, is your response

For what its worth.

Sewell has been training and working at RT, in case a team with a LT drafts him.

Says slot about his character and ego (lack of) that the top rated LT is training at RT.

It also shows he could expect to be drafted by a team with a LT or a left handed QB (read this part from an article. )

Does that sound like a flo type of player?

For what its worth.

Sewell has been training and working at RT, in case a team with a LT drafts him.

Says slot about his character and ego (lack of) that the top rated LT is training at RT.

It also shows he could expect to be drafted by a team with a LT or a left handed QB (read this part from an article. )

Does that sound like a flo type of player?
Hell yes.

Actually... I believe that Flowers graded out as the best lineman from last year... not the worst.

That said, he was only league average, while the rest of our line was worse.

The rookies, however, should get better and I expect that they will surpass Flowers this year, hopefully in training camp.

The question is... do we bring in a Guard to replace Flowers, or move the Guard we already have (Hunt) to his correct position and bring in a foundational Tackle.
Good question. Whatever we do I hope it’s a veteran because these guys on the line are so young and will benefit from some experience in there w them.

Fins just picked 5 OLs in the last 2 drafts... At some point, if it aint working, stop drafting them and start buyin'em cause you cant evaluate OL talent for ****.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^
Well... Jackson, Hunt, and Kindley are looking pretty good... and we're not sure that Deiter won't...

But we started with zero NFL linemen and oddly enough... we need 5.

Funny how that works.

Back
Top Bottom