Young Dolphins O-linemen Getting On-Field Work | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Young Dolphins O-linemen Getting On-Field Work

mrbunglez

Gator don't play no ****!
Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins have drafted three offensive linemen in the first three rounds over the past two years, and all three of them are scheduled to spend the week together in Arizona in a "minicamp" of sorts.
Rookie draft picks Austin Jackson and Robert Hunt and 2019 third-round pick Michael Deiter all are represented by Joe Panos, who not only is a player but a former NFL offensive lineman who started 56 games during a seven-year career with the Eagles and the Bills.
Panos came up with the idea of having a camp for offensive line clients to gather in North Scottsdale, Arizona, for a week of on-field work.
In all, seven players will be at the "camp," though the Dolphins will have the biggest representation with their three players. All are rookies or second-year players.
Jackson, Hunt and Deiter still will take part in the Zoom meetings with the Dolphins before they do some lifting. After the players have lunch, they'll head to the field for some drills.

As it turns out, it will be Jackson's mother, who lives in the area, who will be making breakfast and lunch for the players.

Panos contacted the offensive line coaches of each of the players involved to ask for input on what they wanted to see improvement in their players.
“Oh, I love it,” Panos told SI.com NFL writer Albert Breer. “I absolutely love it because I know, without sounding like a jerk, they're going to get trained right. If they can't be with their coaches, I’d like to think I know what I'm doing here. I love the fact that I promised these kids and their parents that I’d take care of them to the best of my ability, that I'm gonna go above and beyond, and get them ready for the season.”
Deiter and Panos have a connection deeper than player/agent since they each played at the University of Wisconsin.

Excellent find. I love the idea, but have to wonder what happens if a player suffers a serious injury.

I'm surprised the NFL doesn't have an issue with it.

I agree, nice find and great article. Finally something to look forward to. Love the players commitment and dedication. And a special "Thanks" to Panos for setting it all up!!!

I'm happy to see Dieter taking the initiative to improve his play. Things like that can only help.

Excellent find. I love the idea, but have to wonder what happens if a player suffers a serious injury.

Every pro athlete (and 99.9% of high level athletes down to 10 years old) have private trainers. It’s going to happen either way.

The fact that 3 of our guys will be doing it together with a guy who seems to have his **** together and is trying to put these guys in the position to succeed is a huge deal. It’s a great thing and better than what I see all the times when a guy just has his buddy working him out.

Panos calling the OL coaches is huge too. It will essentially be a real rookie minicamp for the 3.

Also shoutout to Jackson’s mom. I cant Wait to see the bond developed by that loving family and the Tagovailoa’s over the next 5-10 years.

The Dolphins have drafted three offensive linemen in the first three rounds over the past two years, and all three of them are scheduled to spend the week together in Arizona in a "minicamp" of sorts.
Rookie draft picks Austin Jackson and Robert Hunt and 2019 third-round pick Michael Deiter all are represented by Joe Panos, who not only is a player but a former NFL offensive lineman who started 56 games during a seven-year career with the Eagles and the Bills.
Panos came up with the idea of having a camp for offensive line clients to gather in North Scottsdale, Arizona, for a week of on-field work.
In all, seven players will be at the "camp," though the Dolphins will have the biggest representation with their three players. All are rookies or second-year players.
Jackson, Hunt and Deiter still will take part in the Zoom meetings with the Dolphins before they do some lifting. After the players have lunch, they'll head to the field for some drills.

As it turns out, it will be Jackson's mother, who lives in the area, who will be making breakfast and lunch for the players.

Panos contacted the offensive line coaches of each of the players involved to ask for input on what they wanted to see improvement in their players.
“Oh, I love it,” Panos told SI.com NFL writer Albert Breer. “I absolutely love it because I know, without sounding like a jerk, they're going to get trained right. If they can't be with their coaches, I’d like to think I know what I'm doing here. I love the fact that I promised these kids and their parents that I’d take care of them to the best of my ability, that I'm gonna go above and beyond, and get them ready for the season.”
Deiter and Panos have a connection deeper than player/agent since they each played at the University of Wisconsin.

Love it. Deiter, obviously, needs all the practice and mental reps he can get after a shaky rookie season. Hunt is a raw pass protector making a huge step up in competition, and can use all the extra work he can get. Jackson is recovering physically and the youngest of the OL (probably of all OL at this mini-camp of sorts), and definitely needs to soak up more coaching and keep rounding his body into NFL shape while he adds another 20+ lbs of muscle. Great to see these guys realize how important this time is and are putting in the time and efforts to develop the muscle memory and their technique. It is absolutely necessary for their development.

Kudos to an agent for arranging this. Most of the time agents will protect their clients physically while letting their professional skills atrophy. That is the wrong move for these young OL, who need as many snaps, technique air-reps, and film sessions as possible.

Every pro athlete (and 99.9% of high level athletes down to 10 years old) have private trainers. It’s going to happen either way.

The fact that 3 of our guys will be doing it together with a guy who seems to have his **** together and is trying to put these guys in the position to succeed is a huge deal. It’s a great thing and better than what I see all the times when a guy just has his buddy working him out.

Panos calling the OL coaches is huge too. It will essentially be a real rookie minicamp for the 3.

Also shoutout to Jackson’s mom. I cant Wait to see the bond developed by that loving family and the Tagovailoa’s over the next 5-10 years.
Don't misunderstand, I'm in favor of these guys doing whatever it takes.

I will say, kids 10 yrs old aren't under contract, and having a trainer is far different than contact.

I assume these guys will just be working on technique, footwork, etc.

Fair point, and obviously the exposure risk as well. But looking at these players, they NEED as many reps, technique evals/coaching, and film sessions as they can possibly get. Is it a risk? Yes. But they're doomed for 2020 failure and are one step closer to being out of the NFL if they don't develop their skills and do it relatively quickly. IMHO, this is definitely worth the risk.

Don't misunderstand, I'm in favor of these guys doing whatever it takes.

I will say, kids 10 yrs old aren't under contract, and having a trainer is far different than contact.

I assume these guys will just be working on technique, footwork, etc.

I was just saying that kids at 10 mostly have trainers, but ALL pro athletes do (99.9999%). They have to keep their bodies right. This is very routine. This is just highlighting their change due to Corona. The majority of these guys (especially this one) are also signed off by the team.

That’s a great idea by Panos and I’m glad our guys are benefitting. Kindley should switch agents lol.

I will say, the one draft pick who concerns me the most is Austin Jackson. Before the draft, I said he’d be a reach at 17 so I guess I should own that. He has absolutely elite feet, and that’s undoubtedly what got him picked so high. But, truth be told, he’s a projection. He’s going to need to develop, and that means there’s risk. Let’s hope for the best and he turns into a good starter. One benefit of having a southpaw at QB is that he’s not going to cover the blind side. But a tackle is a tackle, and you need good protection on both edges, plus enough nastiness in the run game.

Hunt and Kindley bring considerable nastiness, although watching Kindley in space is worthy of a face palm. At least these two have the toughness and will bring push in the run game. They have strength and toughness that’s been lacking with some of our failed picks, e.g., Dallas Thomas.

That’s a great idea by Panos and I’m glad our guys are benefitting. Kindley should switch agents lol.

I will say, the one draft pick who concerns me the most is Austin Jackson. Before the draft, I said he’d be a reach at 17 so I guess I should own that. He has absolutely elite feet, and that’s undoubtedly what got him picked so high. But, truth be told, he’s a projection. He’s going to need to develop, and that means there’s risk. Let’s hope for the best and he turns into a good starter. One benefit of having a southpaw at QB is that he’s not going to cover the blind side. But a tackle is a tackle, and you need good protection on both edges, plus enough nastiness in the run game.

Hunt and Kindley bring considerable nastiness, although watching Kindley in space is worthy of a face palm. At least these two have the toughness and will bring push in the run game. They have strength and toughness that’s been lacking with some of our failed picks, e.g., Dallas Thomas.
I really don't think you'll have to worry about JACKSON, he's reported to be the most "natural" LT in the entire draft. Like you mentioned, he has elite feet, great size, good work ethic, yada, yada, yada. IMO, we have our new RICHMOND WEBB Part 2. I'm not guaranteeing anything, just a strong conviction.

Let those feelings of dread go AT. At least on the LT issue, we'll be good for the next 10-15 years. :up:

Back
Top Bottom