Young Dolphins O-linemen Getting On-Field Work | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Young Dolphins O-linemen Getting On-Field Work

That’s a great idea by Panos and I’m glad our guys are benefitting. Kindley should switch agents lol.

I will say, the one draft pick who concerns me the most is Austin Jackson. Before the draft, I said he’d be a reach at 17 so I guess I should own that. He has absolutely elite feet, and that’s undoubtedly what got him picked so high. But, truth be told, he’s a projection. He’s going to need to develop, and that means there’s risk. Let’s hope for the best and he turns into a good starter. One benefit of having a southpaw at QB is that he’s not going to cover the blind side. But a tackle is a tackle, and you need good protection on both edges, plus enough nastiness in the run game.

Hunt and Kindley bring considerable nastiness, although watching Kindley in space is worthy of a face palm. At least these two have the toughness and will bring push in the run game. They have strength and toughness that’s been lacking with some of our failed picks, e.g., Dallas Thomas.

He was a reach at 17, yes... Good thing we took him at 18... JK

Anyways, I would love to hear from someone hear where they compare Jackson to a prospect like Andre Dillard who was in the same slot range last year.

Although Jackson has flaws, I see him as a big time upside guy. Even after his first contract he will only be 24-25 and will not even be in the prime of his career. He's a guy that needs Fitzpatrick starting at QB year 1.

Don't misunderstand, I'm in favor of these guys doing whatever it takes.

I will say, kids 10 yrs old aren't under contract, and having a trainer is far different than contact.

I assume these guys will just be working on technique, footwork, etc.

I would venture to say majority of pro athletes have private skills trainers. Not just strength trainers. But technique etc. I know football and baseball players do for a fact. Not positive about other sports, but I would assume.

That’s a great idea by Panos and I’m glad our guys are benefitting. Kindley should switch agents lol.

I will say, the one draft pick who concerns me the most is Austin Jackson. Before the draft, I said he’d be a reach at 17 so I guess I should own that. He has absolutely elite feet, and that’s undoubtedly what got him picked so high. But, truth be told, he’s a projection. He’s going to need to develop, and that means there’s risk. Let’s hope for the best and he turns into a good starter. One benefit of having a southpaw at QB is that he’s not going to cover the blind side. But a tackle is a tackle, and you need good protection on both edges, plus enough nastiness in the run game.

Hunt and Kindley bring considerable nastiness, although watching Kindley in space is worthy of a face palm. At least these two have the toughness and will bring push in the run game. They have strength and toughness that’s been lacking with some of our failed picks, e.g., Dallas Thomas.
Lots of good points here, thanks @Austin Tatious !

Jackson is a project in three separate ways.

1. He is young.
I think he is the youngest of all the top few tiers of OT's. So he naturally needs more reps, more technique work, more practice. Given today's new-normal, he will be getting a lot less snaps to learn his way through things.

2. He is still recovering from being a bone-marrow donor.
Very laudable, and he's the type of guy for whom we all want to root. But, his body was not in football shape in 2019, and only in the later portion did he even look fit enough to compete. He still needs to get his body in collegiate shape, and then he needs to add 20+ lbs of muscle to get into NFL shape. The kid's body simply is behind the curve and it will take time for him to catch back up.

3. He is unpolished.
I stopped short of calling him raw, but he needs a looooooooooooooot of technique-work. Understandable because of 1 & 2 above, but the fact remains, he is a project. The physical tools are there, we love the kid, seems like a team-first guy and a hard worker, so I have hope for the kid. But, it's simply not going to happen in 2019. He's too far behind the curve. If he plays OT in 2019, that QB is getting killed.

I disagree with you on his position though. I'm fairly confident that the Dolphins intend to play him at RT, which will be Tua's blindside. If Jackson plays RT and Tua plays QB together in 2019, Tua is getting re-injured. Jackson is NOT ready. To me, this draft pick and the Hunt pick (of which I am not a fan), scream that the Dolphins plan must be to start Fitzmagic and give Tua 2019 to heal. Treat him like Patrick Mahomes, let him play late in the season in garbage time behind a more solidified OL just to get rid of the jitters of a first start/first hit/first INT and prevent that from becoming a mental barrier. But otherwise, keep Tua under wraps in 2019.

I think the plan is for Jesse Davis to play LT, and he's the best OT we have so he will protect Fitzmagic's blindside. At some point, we'll try to move in one of the unready rookies (Jackson will eventually hold down this spot, but Hunt will be given a chance to fail too). IMHO, they will not do well, as neither is ready and both are projects in pass pro. The hope will be that one can play RT, but my suspicion is that none will be competent ... not that we'd notice after all, we've been praising Ju'Wuan James' poor play for years at RT, and somehow Dolphins fans seem to think he was good because he was a 1st round pick.

Solomon Kindley is a good pick. No, he's not a pulling guard, he's a power-pig type guard. Put him in the phone booth and let him get his hands on people and drive. Clearly Coach Flow wants to run a power running game like the Ravens. Pass protection is definitely lacking in our 2020 OL draft picks. Ezra Cleveland would have been a great pick if we wanted pass protection, but obviously, we did not.

Good luck Tua ... you'll need it behind this OL. Just ask Ryan Tannehill.

He was a reach at 17, yes... Good thing we took him at 18... JK

Anyways, I would love to hear from someone hear where they compare Jackson to a prospect like Andre Dillard who was in the same slot range last year.

Although Jackson has flaws, I see him as a big time upside guy. Even after his first contract he will only be 24-25 and will not even be in the prime of his career. He's a guy that needs Fitzpatrick starting at QB year 1.
Jackson is too good, too much upside, too much character to fail, all combined with a very physical nature, already a very good run blocker, better than Tunsil in that regard at 20, draft is all about projection and upside..not taking someone early because they are too raw is a cop out.

I think Kindley gives Hunt a run for his money Imo..

If anyone knows exactly where in North Scottsdale I would appreciate letting me know. I'm in Scottsdale. I'll go check it out.

There was a post about "worse thing that could happen". I'll say having a once in a lifetime draft haul, in a rebuilding year, with the possibility of 5 new O-line men starting....and then having something happen where there might be no OTA's/training camp/pre-season games....coupled with playing games with no fans in the stands. Yup, that sounds about as bad as it can get.

Which is why this sounds like way beyond anything I could have hoped would happen. Just have to get Kindley there. Few months together in that heat....eating his mother's food....all focused on the roles they will play and growing together. Man, talk about building team!

If it pans out it could be a game changer for us.

This really is cool. Hope they get some good work in.

Back in those strike days and even before the days of all these agents worried about their investment's getting hurt the old Dolphins would get together like this to train to get ahead. Nothing bad to say about this at all.

I really don't think you'll have to worry about JACKSON, he's reported to be the most "natural" LT in the entire draft. Like you mentioned, he has elite feet, great size, good work ethic, yada, yada, yada. IMO, we have our new RICHMOND WEBB Part 2. I'm not guaranteeing anything, just a strong conviction.

Let those feelings of dread go AT. At least on the LT issue, we'll be good for the next 10-15 years. :up:
I think it is impossible to project that any player will be with the Dolphins for the next 5 years, much less the next 10-15 years. Tunsil was suppose the be the Dolphins LT for the next decade and he was gone after 3 years. Hopefully Jackson plays well enough to last through his first contract but only time will tell.

Excellent find. I love the idea, but have to wonder what happens if a player suffers a serious injury.

I'm surprised the NFL doesn't have an issue with it.
Hows it any different than a QB going to the Manning Passing academy? What's their alternative really?

Back
Top Bottom