Your All Time MLB Roster | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your All Time MLB Roster

unifiedtheory said:
Line up:

1st Base: Lou Gehrig
- 6 time All Star, 2 time MVP, lifetime .340 hitter and had over 40 homers five times.

2nd Base:
Rogers Hornsby - 2 time MVP, hit over .400 three times (including .424 in 1924), 7 batting titles and had a career .359 batting average.

Sort Stop:
Ernie Banks - 15 time All Star, 2 times MVP, hit over 40 homers 5 times and had 512 career homers and was a .274 career hitter.

3rd Base:
Mike Schmidt - 12 time All Star, 2 time MVP, 10 time gold glover, led the league in homers 8 times and had 548 career homers.

Catcher:
Johnny Bench - 14 time All Star, 2 time MVP, 10 time Gold glover.

Right Field:
Babe Ruth - A career .342 hitter, lead the league in homers 12 times, hit over 50 homers four times, led the league in RBI six times, had over 150 RBI five times. Incidentially, he would be a hell of a relief pitcher.

Center Field:
Willie Mays - A 20 time All Star,2 time MVP, led the league in homers 4 times, was a career .302 hitter and hit 660 homers.

Left Fielder:
Ted Williams - The last man to hit .400, considered the greatest hitter to ever live, a lifetime .344 hitter, 17 time All Star, 2 time MVP, led the league in average 6 times, homers 4 times and RBI 4 times and won the Triple Crown twice. He had 521 career home runs. Think about what his numbers would have looked like if he had not missed 4 season due to military service.

Pitchers:

Left handed starter:
Sandy Koufax - Only pitched 12 years. 3 Cy Youngs, 6 time All Star, 1963 MVP, Led the league in ERA from 1962-66, led the league in wins 3 times, led the league in strikeouts 6 times and had a career .95 ERA in four career World Series.

In 1966, at the age of thirty he was 27-5, 1.73 ERA, 317 K's (only 77 BB), 5 shutouts and 27 complete games (he led the league in all those categories) and then retired...talk about going out on a high note.

Right handed starter: Bob Gibson - 8 time All Star, 1968 MVP, 2 time Cy Young winner and 9 Gold Gloves

In 1968 he might have had the greatest season ever for a pitcher. 22-9, with 28 complete games, 13 shutouts, 268 K's( 62 BB) and an ERA of 1.12.

Closer: Mariano Rivera - His postseason statistics are stunning. In 70 appearences he 17-6, 0.75 ERA, 32 saves and in 108 innings has given up 9 earned runs.

Nice list Uni. I wouldn't mind seeing Ty Cobb(.367 lifetime BA and one of the most hard-nosed players ever)) in Center and Roberto Clemente(.317 lifetime BA and 12 Gold Gloves) in Right.They would be on my bench anyway.My :2c:

PHINATIC13 said:
Nice list Uni. I wouldn't mind seeing Ty Cobb(.367 lifetime BA and one of the most hard-nosed players ever)) in Center and Roberto Clemente(.317 lifetime BA and 12 Gold Gloves) in Right.They would be on my bench anyway.My :2c:

When you get into lists like this it is so hard sometimes.

You can make a legit arguement at every position...especially the outfield.

I could make another list and change every name on it and it would still be stellar.

Look at who I left off the list as outfielders....Stan Musial, Ty Cobb, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, Al Kaline, Frank Robinson, Barry Bonds...ANY of them could be in the "All Time" team and it would look legit.

unifiedtheory said:
Jackie Robinson played 2nd base.

Maybe he meant Brooks Robinson. Though I'm not sure Brooks Robinson should be mentioned in the same sentence as Mike Schmidt.

CF is a very tough call: Mays, Mantle, DiMaggio and Cobb are all worthy of any all-time list. I suppose for career numbers, though, I'd go for Mays being the best CF ever.

All-time lists are always overwhelmed by old players whose legend is greater than they really are. Recent/current players like Griffey, Bonds, Clemens, Ripken & a couple others certainly belong in the same breath as the old greats.

SMadison29 said:
All-time lists are always overwhelmed by old players whose legend is greater than they really are. Recent/current players like Griffey, Bonds, Clemens, Ripken & a couple others certainly belong in the same breath as the old greats.

Everyone is free to there opinion of course...'

That being said, in my opinion, Griffey does'nt belong in the same book, let alone sentence as Mays, Cobb, DiMaggio or Mantle.

Bonds does for sure. Even if you take his pre-hugehead numbers he would be considered an All Timer...but the outfield position is so deep.

Clemens? Hell yah.

Ripken? Yes also but, I'd take Ernie Banks just ahead of Ripken...although if A-Rod had'nt been switched to third he'd be my shortstop.

It's tough for any fan to make an all-time list. Everyone's list will be biased based on players they like, if they played for your team, ect. With that in mind, I would put Piazza at catcher. I'd give up the defense for the offense. No catcher can match Piazza's numbers and consistancy. Piazza is one of a kind offensively at the position. I know he is HORRIBLE at Catcher but his bat was head and shoulders above other catchers and for that, I'd put him at Catcher on my all-time team!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
It's tough for any fan to make an all-time list. Everyone's list will be biased based on players they like, if they played for your team, ect. With that in mind, I would put Piazza at catcher. I'd give up the defense for the offense. No catcher can match Piazza's numbers and consistancy. Piazza is one of a kind offensively at the position. I know he is HORRIBLE at Catcher but his bat was head and shoulders above other catchers and for that, I'd put him at Catcher on my all-time team!

Damn you you beat me to it. I was actually just going to say what about Piazza? :fire:

Soriano is projected to be the greatest hitting 2nd baseman in the history of baseball. I wouldn't put him at 2nd on my all-time list right now but I think that might be why someone would add him to their list. I think their looking long term at him, not what he's done recently (which has been the start to a great career). I could see Soriano even getting more votes from people if he was as young as the Yankees thought he was when we first got him LMAO!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:

If I was STRICTLY doing my All Time team based on offense then hell yeah I'd throw Piazza at catcher.

That being said, if you look at my list all the guys on it could field their position....something Piazza simple can't do.

That's why Johnny Bench is my catcher...and Bench could hit to.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Soriano is projected to be the greatest hitting 2nd baseman in the history of baseball. I wouldn't put him at 2nd on my all-time list right now but I think that might be why someone would add him to their list. I think their looking long term at him, not what he's done recently (which has been the start to a great career). I could see Soriano even getting more votes from people if he was as young as the Yankees thought he was when we first got him LMAO!

Soriano is a nice player but...his numbers do not even approach Rogers Hornsby.

I know Hornsby played about 34058043850 years ago. That being said...some food for thought on him:

Lifetime Batting Average: .358
Lifetime OPS: .434
In 23 seasons he hit over .300 17 times
He hit over .400 3 times (including .424 in 1924)
301 career home runs
He was MVP 2 times
Won 7 batting titles
Led the league in Slugging % Nine times
Led the league in Extra base hits 6 times

A couple of his individual seasons are even more telling about why he is considered the best hitting 2nd basemen ever and maybe one of the best hitters ever:

1922 - .401, 42 HR, 152 RBI, 46 2B, 14 TRIPLES, 250 H
1925 - .403, 39 HR, 143 RBI, 41 2B, 10 TRILES, 203 H
1929 - .380, 39 HR, 149 RBI, 47 2B, 8 TRIPLES, 229 H

I know I keep banging away with some of these ancient names whenever I reply but with baseball, more then any other sport in my opinion, the history of the game and the historic players hold up from era to era.

Did anyone mention Roberto Alomar for 2nd base? Obviously his career pre-Mets/ChiSox/DBacks? He was a great defender and could hit a ton and steal. He was the total package for a 2nd baseman.

Ray Finkle said:
Did anyone mention Roberto Alomar for 2nd base? Obviously his career pre-Mets/ChiSox/DBacks? He was a great defender and could hit a ton and steal. He was the total package for a 2nd baseman.

In his Blue Jays days he was a GREAT player. A Hall Of Famer even...

The way his career has gone since he spit in that umpires face though is almost fitting...he has spun out into oblivion.

Slappy8800 said:
soriano over sandberg,kent? are u serious?!
ripken at third? WTF??

Being that Sandberg is my favorite player of all-time, of course he's better than Soriano. The only 2B since the 80's to rival him is Alomar.

That being said, in my opinion, Griffey does'nt belong in the same book, let alone sentence as Mays, Cobb, DiMaggio or Mantle.

What do you have against Griffey? Before his injured-stint with the Reds he was the greatest player since the beginning of the 90's, better than Bonds. He too would be approaching the HR record. He's a complete player.

Back
Top Bottom