Your Best-case Scenario For 2019 Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your Best-case Scenario For 2019 Draft

It's impossible to be a dominate defense consistently anyway in today's NFL. I would much rather have a dominate offense than a dominate defense.

Offense is definitely more sustainable. NE, despite BB's background as a DC, has essentially given up on the idea of fielding an elite D. They build units that excel in key areas and focus on building an offense that can score 30 ppg.

Offense is definitely more sustainable. NE, despite BB's background as a DC, has essentially given up on the idea of fielding an elite D. They build units that excel in key areas and focus on building an offense that can score 30 ppg.
I have a question for you maybe a little off topic. But it does relate to Haskins. Haskins is seen as a pure pocket passer who excels with accuracy but when he has to improvise struggles. Isn't that a cornerstone in the patriots offense? An intelligent QB who does well with short timing passes? Brady doesn't particularly do well in the improb department right

I have a question for you maybe a little off topic. But it does relate to Haskins. Haskins is seen as a pure pocket passer who excels with accuracy but when he has to improvise struggles. Isn't that a cornerstone in the patriots offense? An intelligent QB who does well with short timing passes? Brady doesn't particularly do well in the improb department right

You're right, but BB isn't walking through that door, and it's hard to project a similar situation for Haskins. It's also incredibly hard to predict that a QB will be an ultra-elite processor like Brady. Haskins can be smart AF and still not process info quickly enough to overcome his limitations enough to play at an elite level. Look at Goff. On paper, he has the same profile, but he's a good processor, not an elite one, and when the **** hits the fan, to this point, he has withered.

Last edited:
I would definitely focus on setting up the 2020 QB with the best situation possible. Imo there's no rush to field a quality defense.
Makes sense. The last thing you want is a young, franchise quarterback coming into a situation where he has no protection.

This could very well be more of an offensive draft than many of us expect. I really like the idea of Harry, in a trade down scenario. I think he's the best wide receiver in the draft. Brown would be my number two and then Metcalf.

I also think running back could be a higher priority than fans think. I like Sanders, Harris and Montgomery.

It's a rebuild, and anyone goes for the QB.
I do agree with that, but don't think Miami would have to go that route. The Dolphins have built up a lot of draft capital.

As the roster stands right now, there are only three building block players in Tunsil, Howard and Fitzpatrick.

Makes sense. The last thing you want is a young, franchise quarterback coming into a situation where he has no protection.

This could very well be more of an offensive draft than many of us expect. I really like the idea of Harry, in a trade down scenario. I think he's the best wide receiver in the draft. Brown would be my number two and then Metcalf.

I also think running back could be a higher priority than fans think. I like Sanders, Harris and Montgomery.

I like Sanders pretty well, but I'm highest on Henderson and higher than most on Barnes. Day 3 for RB, though, and I wouldn't be sad to miss this class.

Best case scenario is they trade up and get the QB, Haskins. Lock is an equivalent but he wants to fk around. Haskins wants to be the best and he gets it, he understands professionalism. Lock is an idiot, he does not get it. And in the best case scenario they do not have to give up second round picks, they just trade Minkah as a first round value.

Best case scenario after the first round is playmakers, athletic explosive playmakers who tested elite and play great, DBs primarily, a WR, a RB.
Are you serious? You want to trade Minkah.:bang: I've heard it all now. Next thing is you'll probably want to bring back Tannendumb and give him another shot at GM.:rolleyes:

Are you serious? You want to trade Minkah.:bang: I've heard it all now. Next thing is you'll probably want to bring back Tannendumb and give him another shot at GM.:rolleyes:

MInkah Fitzpatrick is unimportant. A nickel corner who is just okay. They can draft that any time, in the seventh round this year. His trade value far outweighs his importance.

MInkah Fitzpatrick is unimportant. A nickel corner who is just okay. They can draft that any time, in the seventh round this year. His trade value far outweighs his importance.
If he's not important then why would we get a lot in return? You can't have it both ways. If he doesn't matter we won't get anything for him. If we can trade him as a first round value then he must be important.

I'm going to view this from staying at 13...

Best case would be one of the top 5 guys sliding for some reason...position or size. Ed Oliver or Devin White would be the best case in round 1.

Round 2 and 3 adding o-line...if the old gods shine on us then a player like McCoy slips to us in round 2 and we lend the top guard in round 3.

Realistically...best case, I toast the front office on Friday night...

Round 1 Lindstrom
Round 2 McCoy
Round 3 Deeboo Samual/Winovich

It's impossible to be a dominate defense consistently anyway in today's NFL. I would much rather have a dominate offense than a dominate defense.
This is so true. The problem is keeping good/great players together on defense. I don't know the exact formula of how many good/great players a team can fit under the cap, but that becomes problematic pretty quickly.

It's another reason why having a top 10 caliber quarterback means more than ever. You are going to pay that player and keep him. How many defensive players do you need to make the same type of impact?

It's a hard concept for me to accept because I've always been a defensive first guy, but it's the way the game is changing. Keeping players is difficult now.

You're right, but BB isn't walking through that door, and it's hard to project a similar situation for Haskins. It's also incredibly hard to predict that a QB will be an ultra-elite processor like Brady. Haskins can be smart AF and still not process info quickly enough to overcome his limitations enough to play at an elite level. Look at Goff. On paper, he has the same profile, but he's a good processor, not an elite one, and when the **** hits the fan, to this point, he has withered.
I get what you are saying and I don't disagree, but I also look at Haskins as someone who has played just one year. Can he still take his game to another level? I would think so.

All that said, I would love a quarterback who could move better. Even Brady misses plays because of his athletic limitations.

I get what you are saying and I don't disagree, but I also look at Haskins as someone who has played just one year. Can he still take his game to another level? I would think so.

All that said, I would love a quarterback who could move better. Even Brady misses plays because of his athletic limitations.

He certainly can, but I wouldn't bet on it. In general, lack of experience is a knock, because a QB is more likely to regress after a great season than he is to improve. How much and why he regresses is part of the evaluation. Murray and Haskins won't have that to evaluate, so it creates some doubt. I'm less concerned with Murray, because he reached a higher level of excellence and because he has a more dynamic skillset. Haskins has fewer ways to succeed. Haskins has less margin for error. Put him on a good team and give him a year, and I like his chances. Put him on a bad team, and I don't know how many plays he'll create. I think some level of early success is important, and I'd hate to see him Josh Rosened. I still think Rosen was a pretty good - if overrated - prospect, but his chances really took a hit with that dumpster fire in 2018. It wasn't all his fault, but he was so bad that you have to seriously question whether he's already broken. People will point to Goff, but it was much worse than Goff's rookie year, and it was bad enough to make Rosen and outlier if he turns it around.

I like Haskins slightly better than I did Rosen, but I think they're dependent in similar ways.

He certainly can, but I wouldn't bet on it. In general, lack of experience is a knock, because a QB is more likely to regress after a great season than he is to improve. How much and why he regresses is part of the evaluation. Murray and Haskins won't have that to evaluate, so it creates some doubt. I'm less concerned with Murray, because he reached a higher level of excellence and because he has a more dynamic skillset. Haskins has fewer ways to succeed. Haskins has less margin for error. Put him on a good team and give him a year, and I like his chances. Put him on a bad team, and I don't know how many plays he'll create. I think some level of early success is important, and I'd hate to see him Josh Rosened. I still think Rosen was a pretty good - if overrated - prospect, but his chances really took a hit with that dumpster fire in 2018. It wasn't all his fault, but he was so bad that you have to seriously question whether he's already broken. People will point to Goff, but it was much worse than Goff's rookie year, and it was bad enough to make Rosen and outlier if he turns it around.

I like Haskins slightly better than I did Rosen, but I think they're dependent in similar ways.
Well said, J-off. One of my concerns is that Miami will take a quarterback high like Haskins or Jones and that player will play sometime in 2019 without much talent around them. I know Fitzpatrick is on the roster, but how many teams are patient enough with a quarterback waiting in the wings?

If the Dolphins do take a quarterback early, I think it changes the entire draft strategy. I would think the front office would then go heavy on the offensive line and maybe find another running back who could compete with or be an upgrade over Drake/Ballage.

Then again, if the quarterback turns out, the teams' biggest need is filled.

Best case scenario for me is the Dolphins somehow winding up with Haskins, then going with WR and OL the rest of the draft. I think Haskins is going to be good, and I don't buy all of the "Lock is better than him" talk lately. Could be one of the rare moments a quality talent actually gets into range for Miami because of a small sample size/hype for 2020.

Barring that, as I do think Haskins will be picked before Miami has a shot, I'd love this team to go heavy on offense to build a situation that a rookie 2020 QB can step into next year and flourish.

One thing that I am pretty excited about is seeing how our WRs and TEs do with Fitzpatrick this year, including any rookies we nab. It will be very telling if any of them fail, because Fitzpatrick's gunslinger ways makes even marginal talents suddenly look capable.

Back
Top Bottom