Your Best-case Scenario For 2019 Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your Best-case Scenario For 2019 Draft

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
As much as we've discussed the quarterback position, I still think the best-case scenario for Miami is to find a pass rusher at #13. If the team can trade down, get more picks, and still get a pass rusher even better. As long as they don't miss on an elite talent. I'd hate a trade down if Ed Oliver is there at #13 as an example.

That said, I'd run up the pick for Dwayne Haskins if he fell to #13 or trade up for him if he falls past the NY Giants. Otherwise, I'd wait for Tua, Love, Fromm or Herbert. Miami should be in a position in 2020 to land one of those.

The downside of picking a quarterback early in 2019, is that might change the approach for the entire draft. Miami would have to build the offensive line and make that a priority over the defensive line.

I'd love to see the Dolphins capitalize on the defensive line talent in this draft. If the team could trade down maybe five spots and land Clelin Ferrell, I think he'd be a great fit as a complete DE who can set the edge and get you some pressures and sacks. I would be okay with him at #13 as well, but have seen him mocked closer to #20.

Miami's biggest current needs are quarterback of the future, defensive end, right tackle and maybe corner opposite Howard. Honestly, the team needs two starting caliber defensive ends.

Round two is a bit of a wildcard. A few that I really like for round two:
Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame (one of the more physical cb's in the draft)
Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State (has star potential)
Kaleb Mcgary, RT, Washington (might go R1)
Chris Lindstrom,, G, Boston College (could end up in R1)
Elgton Jenkins, G/C Mississippi State (very versatile)
Jaylon Ferguson, DE, Louisiana Tech (could end up in R1)
L.J. Collier, DE Texas Christian (Miami has shown a lot of interest)
Taylor Rapp, S, Washington
Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina (think he'd be a good fit)
David Montgomery, RB Iowa State (think he might make it to R3)
Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State
Tytus Howard, RT, Alabama State (real possibility for Miami)
Damien Harris, RB, Alabama (3rd round?)

Mine is to move down in this year's draft, load up on picks this year and next. After moving down, I would start building the offensive line with a guys like Lindstrom and McCoy, and use next year's assets to be in a position to move up in next year's draft to get a franchise qb. Hopefully Miami will be bad enough this season that they will not need to use their accumulated assets next season to get their franchise qb.

This is a section from a post in the Draft Buffet. Just realized that depending on where Miami sees other teams valuing Harry/Brown/Lindstrom, they could draft WR in the 1st after a trade down and target Lindstrom in the 2nd, but I'm looking at it like this:

Some scenarios for Miami:

1. Dillard
2. Lindstrom/McCoy
3. Isabella

1. Dillard/Lindstrom
2. Harry/Brown
3. Banogu/Omenihu/Nelson/Crosby

1. Dillard
2. Lindstrom/McCoy
3. Love/Savage/Thornhill

+++++

A trade down would be ideal, especially if Dillard is off the board. So, if I'm Miami I'm really hoping for Dillard 1 and Lindstrom 2 or trade down Lindstrom 1 and McCoy 2.

It's also plausible to see something like

1. Dillard
2. Lindstrom
3. McCoy

1. Lindstrom
2. Harry/Brown
3. McCoy

Hard to project what a trade down would net, but say it's an extra 3rd to be conservative.

1. Lindstrom
2. Harry/Brown
3. McCoy
3. Banogu/Love/Savage/Thornhill

1. Lindstrom
2. McCoy
3. Isabella

Also have to watch for guys like J. Simmons and J. Tillery, and, of course, there's the chance that Miami will not prioritize OL, thinking they can develop middle-round talent like NE. Particularly on the interior, though, I don't see the types of players NE went for in the mid rounds. Mason and Thuney are both smallish OG's with very good athleticism, and outside of the guys projected to go early, there aren't many who fit that type. Yosuah Nijman is a very athletic OT, who could be available later and has a chance to develop into something special, but NE puts greater emphasis on athleticism inside and size outside. Nijman is big, too, so he could still be a fit.

Best case scenario is they trade up and get the QB, Haskins. Lock is an equivalent but he wants to fk around. Haskins wants to be the best and he gets it, he understands professionalism. Lock is an idiot, he does not get it. And in the best case scenario they do not have to give up second round picks, they just trade Minkah as a first round value.

Best case scenario after the first round is playmakers, athletic explosive playmakers who tested elite and play great, DBs primarily, a WR, a RB.

Best case scenario is they trade up and get the QB, Haskins. Lock is an equivalent but he wants to fk around. Haskins wants to be the best and he gets it, he understands professionalism. Lock is an idiot, he does not get it. And in the best case scenario they do not have to give up second round picks, they just trade Minkah as a first round value.

Best case scenario after the first round is playmakers, athletic explosive playmakers who tested elite and play great, DBs primarily, a WR, a RB.
Haskins wants it bad? Did you see him at the combine? He looked like he didn't even want to be there. At his pro day he looked like he was tired after throwing for 5 minutes. There's no question he has talent but at this point I'm not really sure how bad he wants it. Maybe he just believes he's so good that he doesn't have to try? It could be but this is the NFL and you better be a little humble.

I would love to get Haskins, but hate the idea of trading Fitzpatrick. I'd rather trade draft picks.

This is a section from a post in the Draft Buffet. Just realized that depending on where Miami sees other teams valuing Harry/Brown/Lindstrom, they could draft WR in the 1st after a trade down and target Lindstrom in the 2nd, but I'm looking at it like this:

1. Dillard
2. Lindstrom/McCoy
3. Isabella

1. Dillard/Lindstrom
2. Harry/Brown

1. Dillard
2. Lindstrom/McCoy
3. Love/Savage/Thornhill

+++++

A trade down would be ideal, especially if Dillard is off the board. So, if I'm Miami I'm really hoping for Dillard 1 and Lindstrom 2 or trade down Lindstrom 1 and McCoy 2.

1. Dillard
2. Lindstrom
3. McCoy

1. Lindstrom
2. Harry/Brown
3. McCoy

Hard to project what a trade down would net, but say it's an extra 3rd to be conservative.

1. Lindstrom
2. Harry/Brown
3. McCoy

1. Lindstrom
2. McCoy
3. Isabella

Also have to watch for guys like J. Simmons and J. Tillery, and, of course, there's the chance that Miami will not prioritize OL, thinking they can develop middle-round talent like NE. Particularly on the interior, though, I don't see the types of players NE went for in the mid rounds. Mason and Thuney are both smallish OG's with very good athleticism, and outside of the guys projected to go early, there aren't many who fit that type. Yosuah Nijman is a very athletic OT, who could be available later and has a chance to develop into something special, but NE puts greater emphasis on athleticism inside and size outside. Nijman is big, too, so he could still be a fit.
This is such an upredictable draft as to what our team will do. There's no doubt we could use a big WR that can make plays and Harry seems to fit the mold. At first I thought the fact we're bringing Parker back meant no WR early but we can't really count on him so a WR in the first two days is very possible, specially if we can get an extra 3rd by moving down.

1. Dillard
2. Lindstrom/McCoy
3. Isabella

1. Dillard/Lindstrom
2. Harry/Brown

1. Dillard
2. Lindstrom/McCoy
3. Love/Savage/Thornhill

+++++

1. Dillard
2. Lindstrom
3. McCoy

1. Lindstrom
2. Harry/Brown
3. McCoy

1. Lindstrom
2. Harry/Brown
3. McCoy

1. Lindstrom
2. McCoy
3. Isabella

I love your emphasis on building the offensive line. Lindstrom is someone who is clearly on Miami's radar.

I still expect the Dolphins to go defense in the 1st, but maybe the team has assessed the offensive line similarly to your thoughts. If that's the case, Miami may feel they are better off finding defensive in the middle rounds.

As an aside, Tillery looks like he could be a special talent.

This is such an upredictable draft as to what our team will do. There's no doubt we could use a big WR that can make plays and Harry seems to fit the mold. At first I thought the fact we're bringing Parker back meant no WR early but we can't really count on him so a WR in the first two days is very possible, specially if we can get an extra 3rd by moving down.

Even if Parker turns it around, I see Harry as a more versatile and someone who can absorb more targets. Parker is a low-volume, big-play WR. Harry and Brown would be more similar to Landry - but better/more explosive and with the ability to excel outside. Some Harry comps I've seen - Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant, Allen Robinson, JuJu, Eric Decker. To an extent, I understand all of them - with Decker being the weirdest. Harry's greatest strengths are his ability to position his body and win contested catches and his RAC. He's not perfect, and his detractors cite his trouble separating, but I think that's overblown. Often, he'll separate then have to wait on the ball, because Wilkins has a slow trigger. He's particularly good on in-breaking routes and double moves. Brown is smoother and a little less dynamic imo, but I think either would fill a similar role/be a great fit. Miami has 4 receivers that can make big plays - whether via deep passes or RAC - but they have none who can function as the focal point/a reliable target.

I love your emphasis on building the offensive line. Lindstrom is someone who is clearly on Miami's radar.

I still expect the Dolphins to go defense in the 1st, but maybe the team has assessed the offensive line similarly to your thoughts. If that's the case, Miami may feel they are better off finding defensive in the middle rounds.

As an aside, Tillery looks like he could be a special talent.

I would definitely focus on setting up the 2020 QB with the best situation possible. Imo there's no rush to field a quality defense.

I would definitely focus on setting up the 2020 QB with the best situation possible. Imo there's no rush to field a quality defense.
I agree whole heartedly. The defense should be much easier to build and should take a lot less time to gel. Get the offense established and working cohesively and then go from there.

I think Haskins is a good fit in this offense and if he is really dropping maybe he's there at 13.

It's impossible to be a dominate defense consistently anyway in today's NFL. I would much rather have a dominate offense than a dominate defense.

Back
Top Bottom