Your opinions please! (Matt Schaub) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your opinions please! (Matt Schaub)

PhinsOwnBrady said:
We cant afford to take anymore risks on these QBs that we keep bringing in all I have to say is A.J Feeley thats all we need to think about when we talk about these Qbs like Shaub or Carr or Harrington we need to draft a QB and have him be our guy
What is the difference? Drafting a player is a risk.

Even if Miami drafts Leinart whats to say he can perform at the NFL level? Just because Miami drafts them does not mean they will find success.

Where a player comes from has nothing to do with if they will make it or not.

Dphins4me said:
I knew what you did, I was just dogging ya.

That is the chance you take with either making a trade or drafting a player.

Its a unknown. Many of a college star came into the NFL and could be match the play needed to be worthy of a high pick.

Heck most Miami fans would love Rivers but he could turn out to be AJ.

Even if Miami got Brees after 2 solid years of play in SD, does not mean he would be solid in Miami.

We simply do not know how players will turn out. That is why you go with what you think. Trading for Schaub or drafting Leinart leaves Miami in the same spot. A unknown until they get their chance to perform.

For all we know Sage could start this weekend & lead Miami to winning the rest of their games. Its doubtful, but the fact is. We do not know what will happen.

Good points...I think that alot of players who suceed in the NFL, do so because of the system/supporting cast they have. That is what scares me about giving up another high pick for a backup QB.

Now our line is playing better but if they regress then whoever is behind center will look average at best.

I'd much rather trade a late first day pick for a prospect like Schaub or Rivers...and use that 1st rounder on a big-time offensive lineman. Just my opinion.

Dphins4me said:
What is the difference? Drafting a player is a risk.

Even if Miami drafts Leinart whats to say he can perform at the NFL level? Just because Miami drafts them does not mean they will find success.

Where a player comes from has nothing to do with if they will make it or not.

I understand that but what risk would you rather have a guy that was drafted in the 3 round and hasnt played much or a guy that was alot better then Schaub in college. Like Leinert

PhinsOwnBrady said:
I understand that but what risk would you rather have a guy that was drafted in the 3 round and hasnt played much or a guy that was alot better then Schaub in college. Like Leinert
Schaub also did not have the talent around him that Leinart does.

Success in college has no bearing on the NFL. Gino Torreta was a Heisman winner and found zero success in the NFL.

The NFL & College game are different. Schaub has a two year learning curve plus was not a slouch in college either. Some question whether or not Leinart has what it takes to make it in the NFL. Only time will tell.

Sure if Miami has the No. 1 pick then take Leinart, but if you are sitting at pick No. 13 & need a QB then a young talented vet is where to look.

I would bring in Rivers. I read that he bench pressed 375 at the combine. Read it on the San Diego site. If his qb skills suck move him to linebacker.

Schaub could turn out to be a good QB, but it's not clear to me why he is any huge upgrade over Sage.

Size

Schaub 6-5, 237
Sage 6-4, 225

Draft Position

Schaub 3rd (27th pick)
Sage 4th (14th pick)

Career Regular Season Stats

Schaub 56/119, 667 yards, 4 TD, 4 INT, 61.9 rating
Sage 21/49, 391 yards, 3 TD, 3 INT, 65.9 rating

2005 Preseason Stats

Schaub 36/70, 362 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 68.9 rating
Sage 34/52, 369 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT, 103.8 rating

For everyone thinking it will take a 1st to get Schaub; you are mistaken.

His rookie contract runs through next season and he is currently making minimum wage. If Atlanta wants to keep him long term they would need to resign him to an extension. The problem is that many teams are willing to let him compete for a starting job where as he knows in Atlanta he is a back up to Vick and barring a career ending injury to Vick, will never be the full time starter. So I don't see any reason for him to sign an extension this summer. That means that Atlanta WILL lose him after next season. I can't see them outbidding other teams that see Matt as a starter AND convincing him to relelgate himself to being a career back up to Vick.

That means this summer is the last time Atlanta can trade Matt and get anything for him before they lose him as a free agent after the season. They may be willing to forego the potential draft pick they would get in trade for the insurance Matt offers them for the 2006 season. However, that would mean we could probably sign him with no compensation after next season.

Fineas said:
Schaub could turn out to be a good QB, but it's not clear to me why he is any huge upgrade over Sage.

Size

Schaub 6-5, 237
Sage 6-4, 225

Draft Position

Schaub 3rd (27th pick)
Sage 4th (14th pick)

Career Regular Season Stats

Schaub 56/119, 667 yards, 4 TD, 4 INT, 61.9 rating
Sage 21/49, 391 yards, 3 TD, 3 INT, 65.9 rating

2005 Preseason Stats

Schaub 36/70, 362 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 68.9 rating
Sage 34/52, 369 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT, 103.8 rating
um, you're using THAT to compare them?

we get schuab atlanta gets chambers and we swap 1st round picks! then we get t.o

caneaddict said:
For everyone thinking it will take a 1st to get Schaub; you are mistaken.

His rookie contract runs through next season and he is currently making minimum wage. If Atlanta wants to keep him long term they would need to resign him to an extension. The problem is that many teams are willing to let him compete for a starting job where as he knows in Atlanta he is a back up to Vick and barring a career ending injury to Vick, will never be the full time starter. So I don't see any reason for him to sign an extension this summer. That means that Atlanta WILL lose him after next season. I can't see them outbidding other teams that see Matt as a starter AND convincing him to relelgate himself to being a career back up to Vick.

That means this summer is the last time Atlanta can trade Matt and get anything for him before they lose him as a free agent after the season. They may be willing to forego the potential draft pick they would get in trade for the insurance Matt offers them for the 2006 season. However, that would mean we could probably sign him with no compensation after next season.
First off. Matt has 2 years left in Atlanta. This is only his second season in the NFL & UFA does not come till after year 4. See O-Gun.

Also, Schaub does nothing for them as long as Vick is on the field. Atlanta will cash in a 3rd Rd. player for a 1st Rd. pick this offseason, especially if the pick is in the top 15.

Atlanta will be able to sign a solid backup in FA & cash in.

Also no team is going to over pay for a 3rd Rd player who has a couple of games under his belt. Atlanta take a 1st for him easily.

Dphins4me said:
First off. Matt has 2 years left in Atlanta. This is only his second season in the NFL & UFA does not come till after year 4. See O-Gun.

Also, Schaub does nothing for them as long as Vick is on the field. Atlanta will cash in a 3rd Rd. player for a 1st Rd. pick this offseason, especially if the pick is in the top 15.

Atlanta will be able to sign a solid backup in FA & cash in.

Also no team is going to over pay for a 3rd Rd player who has a couple of games under his belt. Atlanta take a 1st for him easily.

We're both saying the same thing, it won't take a 1st to get Schaub.

According to NFLPA: http://www.nflpa.com/Members/playerProfile.asp?ID=35684

Schaub has one more year left on his contract. You're right though that he would then be a restricted free agent but depending on what they offer him, the compensation for signing him I believe will be a draft pick in the round he was drafted. So it would be a 3rd round pick. If he signs a one year tender then he will become a UFA in 2 seasons. Most likely someone will give up a 3rd and sign him to a long term deal after the 2006 season.

kastofsna120 said:
um, you're using THAT to compare them?

its at least worth mentioning, i think. i beleive schaub had his good game against the pats...and gus threw for like 350 against them

the point is that we arent scouts, so this kind of info is all us fans have at our disposal

caneaddict said:
We're both saying the same thing, it won't take a 1st to get Schaub.

Schaub has one more year left on his contract. You're right though that he would then be a restricted free agent but depending on what they offer him, the compensation for signing him I believe will be a draft pick in the round he was drafted. So it would be a 3rd round pick. If he signs a one year tender then he will become a UFA in 2 seasons. Most likely someone will give up a 3rd and sign him to a long term deal after the 2006 season.
First off I misunderstood what you were saying. I took what you said as it would take more than a 1st. In re-reading it I do not know why I did, maybe because it was late.

Second I do not see Atlanta moving him this year for anything less than a 1st & if he stays in Atlanta till after the '06 season they will tender him @ a 1st Rd. tender. I do not see him leaving Atlanta prior to UFA for anything less than a No. 1.

NaboCane said:
Why do you guys keep harping on this? Schaub isn't going anywhere, Vick is made of fine crystal, the birds need more backup QB's not fewer!

Same thing with David Gerrard (bkup - Jags) They really need him if Lefwich goes down, but he is one good QB......my choice or Rivers if SD sets him free, which I doubt........Fins need a QB with some NFL experience, while the college pick gets acclimated....or be stuck with Gus for another year (that would be beyond rediculous IMO)

Back
Top Bottom