your top 4 wanted players at #16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

your top 4 wanted players at #16

Pennington's Rocket Arm

Sucking for Luck Since 2004
Reaction score
who do you want the most at the 16th pick? be somewhat realistic ;)

1: Michael Huff, S, Texas - a fantastic playmaker in the mold of troy polamalu and ed reed. he has the ability to play the leadership role as a rookie, a la lofa tatupu, although granted, it wouldn't be necessary on our defense. he'll start immediately and be a big upgrade, especially on 3rd downs, which was our biggest overall problem. could play CB in a pinch. not a complete player and has a lot of upside. in my opinion, the best defensive player in the draft. there's still a chance he could fall to miami though, although i doubt it.

2: Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt - i'd love to take cutler. i'm not sold on him on being drafted this high, as he's a big project, but the fact remains that he WILL be taken as high as this or even higher, so for a team that needs a QB badly, it'd be a great pick. but i've thought about it, and i've come to the conclusion that if cutler is there, we may not take him. hear me out...saban is a coach who likes playing his rookies. he's from that belechick mold that tries to utilize every player on the roster with any semblance of talent (good depth is as important as your starters). now if we draft cutler, there's no way he's playing right away. considering we have so few picks this year, it probably wouldn't be too wise to put so much investment in a player that won't see the field for at LEAST a year. the only way i see cutler being picked is if we acquire some more picks via trades. this is also why i think there is no WAY saban trades UP for cutler. then again, cutler fits the nick saban-QB mold to a T, and there's always the possibility that saban just loves the guy and will do anything to get him, although i hope that's not the case with any player.

3: Jimmy Williams, DB, Virginia Tech - big physical player who plays the run well and will be a huge upgrade to our nickel package situation as a rookie. i can see him eventually becoming a safety, although he definitely possesses the skills to play CB. speed is a question, but he fits saban's system well. i think he can have a ronde barber-type role in the future; being a top CB but still playing the nickel role on 3rd downs. his stock has taken a dip after a less than stellar season, but it could end up in our favor.

4: Antonio Cromartie, CB, FSU - read the jimmy williams description. similar players, although cromartie is a better cover guy. coming off of the injury could be good for us, although it may be a risky pick because of it. pretty much guaranteed to be a top 10 player before the injury, so this could be a huge steal. i'm not as sold on him as being an overall DB like huff or williams, but he will be an upgrade (this is all assuming sam madison is gone of course. otherwise, we'd be wise not to take a CB this high).

Michael Huff, Texas
Jimmy Williams, VaTech
Chad Greenway, Iowa
Manny Lawson, NC State

in that order

Juan Cribbs said:

1: Michael Huff, S, Texas - a fantastic playmaker in the mold of troy polamalu and ed reed. he has the ability to play the leadership role as a rookie, a la lofa tatupu, although granted, it wouldn't be necessary on our defense. he'll start immediately and be a big upgrade, especially on 3rd downs, which was our biggest overall problem. could play CB in a pinch. not a complete player and has a lot of upside. in my opinion, the best defensive player in the draft. there's still a chance he could fall to miami though, although i doubt it.

2: Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt - i'd love to take cutler. i'm not sold on him on being drafted this high, as he's a big project, but the fact remains that he WILL be taken as high as this or even higher, so for a team that needs a QB badly, it'd be a great pick. but i've thought about it, and i've come to the conclusion that if cutler is there, we may not take him. hear me out...saban is a coach who likes playing his rookies. he's from that belechick mold that tries to utilize every player on the roster with any semblance of talent (good depth is as important as your starters). now if we draft cutler, there's no way he's playing right away. considering we have so few picks this year, it probably wouldn't be too wise to put so much investment in a player that won't see the field for at LEAST a year. the only way i see cutler being picked is if we acquire some more picks via trades. this is also why i think there is no WAY saban trades UP for cutler. then again, cutler fits the nick saban-QB mold to a T, and there's always the possibility that saban just loves the guy and will do anything to get him, although i hope that's not the case with any player.

3: Jimmy Williams, DB, Virginia Tech - big physical player who plays the run well and will be a huge upgrade to our nickel package situation as a rookie. i can see him eventually becoming a safety, although he definitely possesses the skills to play CB. speed is a question, but he fits saban's system well. i think he can have a ronde barber-type role in the future; being a top CB but still playing the nickel role on 3rd downs. his stock has taken a dip after a less than stellar season, but it could end up in our favor.

4: Antonio Cromartie, CB, FSU - read the jimmy williams description. similar players, although cromartie is a better cover guy. coming off of the injury could be good for us, although it may be a risky pick because of it. pretty much guaranteed to be a top 10 player before the injury, so this could be a huge steal. i'm not as sold on him as being an overall DB like huff or williams, but he will be an upgrade (this is all assuming sam madison is gone of course. otherwise, we'd be wise not to take a CB this high).

I'll buy that! :D

huff - there is no way he will be there he is a top 10 pick folks.
Might as well ask for Hawk or D'Brickshaw or leinart :p
williams will be long gone too. Cromartie I need to see the combine first he is too dangerous off of a rare injury and Safety is more important in our system then the CB

1. Jay Cutler - Solid QB option that could be there specially with the news out of detriot and Arizona lately. He would give us a project for a year or two but could be good for our system.

2. Manny Lawson OLB NCS - Basically is a Jason Taylor clone in speed rusher with good height and size. He has the build to play in our hybrid perfectly as a 3-4 or 4-3. He is fast and amazing pass rusher, he is a dominating player.

3. Bobby Carpenter OLB Ohio State- He got overshadowed by AJ Hawk alot of the year but he is a perfect first of the 3-4 OLB strong side spot. Which is exactly what we need, he is fast and good in coverage and great at rushing the QB. He would be an upgrade over Junior Seau right away and give us some good youth to the LB core

4. Ko Simpson Safety SC - This guy is a ballhawk. Wherever there was a need he was there for South Carolina this year and last. He is raw for only 2 years in college but he made the most of them. He is big, strong and fast (around a 4.3-4.4). He is a great hitter and run stuffer, good comparision is Rodney Harrison. Remember in the 3-4 type that we run it is important to have a big time hitting safety. Dallas Roy Williams, NE Harrison, Pitt Polomalo (sp)

Those are my 4 That could actually be there

Good list. Mine would be:

1. Greenway - I think he'll go #7 to SF
2. Huff - probably top 10
3. Cromartie -- amazing talent, but have to be concerned w/injuries
4. McNeil or Scott -- both could be franchise LT

1. Jay Cutler
2. Michael Huff
3. Antonio Cromartie
4. Chad Greenway

1. Jay Cutler: We need a QB more than anything and this guy has a lot of potential. I don't need to list his attributes because everyone knows them. I sitll think he has a chance to fall to us, but wouldn't be surprised if we traded up to make sure we got him.

2. Michael Huff: I can't see any way he is there, but if he is and Cutler is off the board I would be very happy. Huff is everything you look for in a football player. I love everything about this kid. He would also fill a need at CB or S.

3. Jimmy Williams: He is someone who I never really liked, but I am starting to like him more and more the more I read about him. Because of some of these other guys rising, he could fall to us. His size/speed combo make him very special and just like Huff he fills a need.

4. Winston Justice: Taking a tackle is in no way a "sexy" pick, but this guy could be dominant for a long time. I don't think he'll be there, but IMO he could switch to the LT spot and protect whichever QB we get's blindside for years to come.

A few others:

Chad Greenway: It was looking like he would never get to us, but my feeling on that has changed. There are concerns about his ability to shed blocks and this may cause teams like Cleveland to pass on him like teams passed on Derrick Johnson last year.

Antonio Cromartie: If healthy he could end up being the best player in this draft. Yes, I said the draft. I watched this guy in person for his first two years in college and he is extremely special. You just don't see players that big with his skills at the CB spot. He also has pretty good WR skills and could possibly play both ways. If not those skill will benefit him when it comes to INT's and taking them back. He also has great return skills even though I doubt anyone will risk him playing there because of injury.

Manny Lawson: He is rising and could really shoot up with a good showing at the combine. His rise reminds me of DeMarcus Ware's last year and if he is anything like Ware that would be pretty good.

After that:
Ko Sampson
Ashton Youboty
Ty Hill
Marcus McNeil
Chad Jackson
Gabe Watson

I agree with 3 of your 4...Cromartie excluded...I would put Tye Hill there and/or Chad Geenway...they fit.....

Juan Cribbs said:

my 2 cents said:
I agree with 3 of your 4...Cromartie excluded...I would put Tye Hill there and/or Chad Geenway...they fit.....

Tye Hill doesn't have the ideal size Saban is known to like.

1. Michael Huff, DB, Texas
2. Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
3. Jimmy Williams, DB, Va Tech
4. Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa

Jay Cutler, Michael Huff, Chad Greenway, Winston Justice in that order...

I like Jay Cutler, Michael Huff, Chad Greenway, Ko Sampson, Cromartie. Not in that order, I guess It would depend on who is available, cuz honestly I dont think Cutler or Huff will fallWe need a CB I think. But I wouldnt mind W. Justice at OT either. We need to beef up our secondary is what is very important, we got burnt this last year

Back
Top Bottom