Zach Ertz vs. Tyler Eifert: A Metrics Breakdown | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Ertz vs. Tyler Eifert: A Metrics Breakdown

Eifert did everything he could against Bama. You can't fault that he had poor QB play due to inexperience of gholston and that they were outmatched in the trenches against a stacked front 7. You put a competent QB in for ND and I bet Eifert double his output. I'm a huge canes fan and hate ND but would love to see Eifert on the Dolphins.

I do know that the Bears are definitely interested in him with their 1st round pick. Once he runs sub 4.75 at the combine he will lock himself in as a late 1st rounder.

One on one against the best CB in the draft I felt he gave a very good account of himself against Alabama.

I thought he was overmatched and a step slow vs. that entire Alabama D.

Hayden Fox, point to specific plays or instances to support your statement that Eifert and not the rest of the ND offense was overmatched and a step slow.

Hayden Fox, point to specific plays or instances to support your statement that Eifert and not the rest of the ND offense was overmatched and a step slow.
I'm not seeing Eifert as overmatched here. I see him going at it with Milliner a bit (both making plays) and taking on tacklers after the catch. And yea, cane6, his QB was a skittish wreck for most of the game, bailing out of the pocket and running around in a game that was a blowout.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UmHweQiUlNA

Hayden, I find it kind of odd that you're focused so hard on this one game Eifert played in which the competetiveness was out of hand well before halftime. And it's pretty off-putting to come into a metrics thread, say you don't buy into metrics, and just name your guy and refuse to enter discussion or acknowledge the work the OP did. No one here is claiming that metrics alone tell you who the better player is (that's crazy); it's just one of many pieces of evaluation.

In general I'm torn between the two TEs if I had to pick one. I like them both about the same at this point, so threads like these that give another angle are helpful. Nicely done, NU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twitches Brew thanks for finding this. The video also shows that his blocking is better than people give him credit for.

Once again, if we could trade down to 20 or 21 and take Eifert I'd be elated. I think he would do wonders for Tannehill.

And people need to get real if they think Jared Cook or Dustin Keller are just as good as Eifert

eifert was not overmatched...if anything he showed as a pretty good size move athlete running down the field and running routes against a 4.4 corner with a top 15 grade...eifert will be a mismatch player in the pros and a day one contributor... big target good athlete can go up and get the ball away from his body and very fluid...willing blocker as well so he won't embarrass you there and will be able to take the field unlike a lot of guys who are disasters as blockers at the position...large catch radius...i'm thinking he'll run in the 4.6's

1st te off the board...

I am trying not to use the National Championship game too much. However, I was not impressed with his blocking in the run game. Plus, if a corner can shut him down then why would not that happen at the next level? Where are his physical characteristics to "box out" a corner if that happens to be the match up?

Give me Ertz. Great blocker. Big target. High character guy.

hayden throws out a really poor evaluation of eiferts bama game and then throws out absolutes...never even realizes most te's in football would look stiff as boards lined up on the boundary in that much space against a top corner prospect...

whatevs...

and if you prefer ertz i get that...he's a damn good te prospect who plays smart and can make plays down the seam...i like him a lot myself...but the bama evaluation is a poor one and frankly shows a misunderstanding of the te position in the nfl...most te's are in line or flexed out almost in a slot like position they are rarely and only the real plus athlete ones positioned on the boundary...also most teams on d play their corners or safeties when lined up in man across from a te out wide on the boundary in a off position worried about losing physically if they press and so they play off and rally to the ball after the underneath catch...it's a feather in milliners cap that he was able to cover a big vertical threat athletic te in eifert on the boundary in press man at the los but it's just as much a feather in eiferts cap that he could look so fluid on the boundary in that much space down the field...and it's not like he was getting dominated...it was a great one on one matchup...one that most dcs aren't gonna leave their cb in press on an island against that size and strength in the pros...one that most teams who have that kind of athlete at te on the outside are gonna try and exploit...large catch radius the ability to go up and get the ball and win physically...

eifert allows you th threaten the field at all levels and run wild with the playbook in how you use him in regards to formations and attacking mismatches against primarily lbs and safeties in coverage...

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor evaluation, eh? Well, when Ertz goes ahead of Eifert we can return to this post. Sound good?

Poor evaluation, eh? Well, when Ertz goes ahead of Eifert we can return to this post. Sound good?

we can return to anything football related you want to hayden...any time

it's not like you offer any meat in your "evaluations" anyways...you're the one liner king...

we can return to anything football related you want to hayden...any time

it's not like you offer any meat in your "evaluations" anyways...you're the one liner king...

Sounds good...totally looking forward to April.

Sorry I do not have enough "meat" for you. However, I did not think I need to have Mel Kiper write ups in order to have a legit conversation about the draft.

Hey, seems like Ansah is driving up draft boards again.

Back
Top Bottom