Zach Thomas HOF finalist | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas HOF finalist

Zach Thomas should already be in the HOF. He maximize his physical ability and size through hard work and sheer determination. He was a leader and a role model for his teammates. In short, Thomas was what every football player should strive to be.

Super bowl wins has nothing to do with it. If anything not playing on a great team should work in your favor since he didn't get as much help.

I loved Zach... loved him, but I guess I'm the contrarian here. He was real good for quite awhile... rather than great.

I'm not sure he ever gets in.

It's tough for a guy with no Super Bowl wins.
Guess this was a fluke then?

wp-image-1249298936.png

It like total of 20 I think this yr. So Zack this best yr get in.
I think I read that it will be 5 modern era players and 20 old timers as there is a backlog - for example, how the **** is Paul Krause w the most interceptions in NFL history and 4 time Super Bowl appearances w the great Vikings teams not in? He was all pro a million times. But Leroy Butler is under consideration for the S position? I don’t get what the Hall has against Paul - when you have the most interceptions and another 18 FR for 100 takeaways you are in the Hall period. I’m not even a Vikings fan. Anyway, my point was they are going to try to right some of these wrongs w 20 older players (perhaps Keuch?).

I think I read that it will be 5 modern era players and 20 old timers as there is a backlog - for example, how the **** is Paul Krause w the most interceptions in NFL history and 4 time Super Bowl appearances w the great Vikings teams not in? He was all pro a million times. But Leroy Butler is under consideration for the S position? I don’t get what the Hall has against Paul - when you have the most interceptions and another 18 FR for 100 takeaways you are in the Hall period. I’m not even a Vikings fan. Anyway, my point was they are going to try to right some of these wrongs w 20 older players (perhaps Keuch?).
I watched Paul Krause as a kid......he definitely should be in the Hall.

Jason Taylor was a great player. An amazing and dominant force.

And I never said that players without Super Bowls couldn't get in, but it is harder. It always has been.

That said, I'd LOVE to see Zach make it; he was a wonderful undersized story... but I think it's a 50/50 shot at best.

Please dont think I'm rooting against the Texas boy.

I watched Paul Krause as a kid......he definitely should be in the Hall.
I stand corrected - he did get inducted in 1998. What’s wrong w me. Ken Riley - there’s a guy w 65 picks (4th in NFL history) who should be in...

And I never said that players without Super Bowls couldn't get in, but it is harder. It always has been.

That said, I'd LOVE to see Zach make it; he was a wonderful undersized story... but I think it's a 50/50 shot at best.

he was better if not at worst the same as Urlacher, who got in first ballot. If he’s first ballot Zach gets in no problem. If anything I think Zach was much harder to prep for maybe even harder than Lewis. Not only are you physically prepping but mentally nobody controlled a defense and countered offenses mentally better than Zach. JT got in first ballot, how many of those sacks and fumbles were due to Zach knowing the offensive play and changing the coverage to counter the offense?

he was better if not at worst the same as Urlacher, who got in first ballot. If he’s first ballot Zach gets in no problem. If anything I think Zach was much harder to prep for maybe even harder than Lewis. Not only are you physically prepping but mentally nobody controlled a defense and countered offenses mentally better than Zach. JT got in first ballot, how many of those sacks and fumbles were due to Zach knowing the offensive play and changing the coverage to counter the offense?
Urlacher was considered to be a bit better than Zach but I didn’t see it. The only guy who was truly the best of the bunch in that era was Ray Lewis. After that, Zach was as good or better than them all.

My standards for any Hall of Fame are ridiculously high. I mean really Craig Biggio and Harold Baines in the MLB Hall? Stat collectors. To me, if you have to think about it and debate it, then they don’t belong. I can sit here and name so many. So with that, as much as I love Taylor and have the utmost respect for him,I’d say no.

But since the standards are low with the recognition for the Halls in all of sports, and there are questionable players there then why not, Zach deserves it, and as much as the next guy. Would love to see it happen.

I also hate when I see teams abuse the retiring of the uniform number. Yankees abuse it more than anyone. To me, it’s got to be a legendary players like Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio. Not a guy like Bernie Williams. Anyway that’s another story and rant.

I'm not disagreeing with you about his smarts and work ethic... what I'm saying is that he was undersized and could be driven back when not protected by his DTs.... and some will downgrade him for this.

I hope he gets in; but he's no lock.

This is off track, but talking about Zach's strengths and weaknesses reminded me of my all time favourite Dolphins player.
Csonka? Nope. Kootch? Naw. Dan? Tempting but no.

Jay Fiedler. That guy got more production out of zero talent than any NFL player I've ever seen. Rag arm. Dartmouth... a bit undersized... yet, had the heart of a champion.
I LOVED to watch him play, even though I knew we wouldn't win much.

#54 should be in the HOF. This guy knew opposing offenses better than the opposing QB did. Excellent player. Excellent human being. He’s also donating his brain to science for brain trauma study when he passes. He deserves to be honored in the HOF.

I don’t think you’re rooting against him. I just don’t think you’re valuing him enough.

I need to find the clip...I may be embellishing SLIGHTLY, but I don’t think it’s by much. but it was LT2 against Zach...and LT2 was the best in the game at the time. Late in the game, the Chargers ran straight up the middle four straight times. 3rd and 1, Zach crashed in and nearly got LT in the back field, someone else cleaned up. 4th and 1, he timed the snap and crushed the play. Just completely blew it up. LT2 has one of the worst performances of his career that day, I believe, and Zach had a huge hand in that.

He’s one of the best to ever do it.

Back
Top Bottom