Zach Thomas HOF finalist | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas HOF finalist

I loved Zach... loved him, but I guess I'm the contrarian here. He was real good for quite awhile... rather than great.

I'm not sure he ever gets in.

It's tough for a guy with no Super Bowl wins.

Five first team All-Pro selections. That is one of the best resumes of any linebacker in the history of the sport. The fact that he did it during the same timespan as two other guys who are already in the Hall of Fame is downright admirable. The guy was a great football player.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

From the moment so many of us saw him during his rookie pre-season games we knew potentially how special he could be. All he did game in game out was give everything he had to football and its fans.

I'll always have a special place in my football heart for him. I sure hope he makes it into football heaven.

Here’s really what it boils down to, for me:

Brian Urlacher got in on his first year of eligibility.

There is no metric by which you can convince me that Urlacher was a far superior LB to Thomas.

So Zach Thomas deserves to be in the Hall.

Five first team All-Pro selections. That is one of the best resumes of any linebacker in the history of the sport. The fact that he did it during the same timespan as two other guys who are already in the Hall of Fame is downright admirable. The guy was a great football player.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Very respectful way to respond...

Sorry about your Cheerios.

Very respectful way to respond...

Sorry about your Cheerios.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about. We could tapdance around the subject, but that's the unvarnished truth. Look at the resumes of players like Karl Mecklenburg, Brian Urlacher, etc. Other Hall of Fame linebackers who played after AP All-Pro voting became a standard. The man's got a Hall of Fame resume.

I don’t think you’re rooting against him. I just don’t think you’re valuing him enough.

I need to find the clip...I may be embellishing SLIGHTLY, but I don’t think it’s by much. but it was LT2 against Zach...and LT2 was the best in the game at the time. Late in the game, the Chargers ran straight up the middle four straight times. 3rd and 1, Zach crashed in and nearly got LT in the back field, someone else cleaned up. 4th and 1, he timed the snap and crushed the play. Just completely blew it up. LT2 has one of the worst performances of his career that day, I believe, and Zach had a huge hand in that.

He’s one of the best to ever do it.

I've been on these boards for decades... back in the day, we had the same firebombing grunts that we have now.
Posters like RootBoySlim, BoatsBoatsBoats, Sporticus were the unthinking and many of them trashed Zach constantly... repeating the same criticisms that I've listed... They swore he was the most overrated LB they'd ever seen.

Now, to be honest, I'm fuzzy on which ones of them hated Zach. Daytona might remember, or ATL or Phil... (he saves everything), but Zach was roundly criticized... and by Phins fans.

I never bought into their hyperbole... but they were partially right about Zach. He played with abandon and hit things with his head... but he could be pushed back due to his size.

Loved to watch him... but the mists of time have raised his profile.

Here's the list: 15: Steve Atwater, Tony Boselli, Isaac Bruce, LeRoy Butler, Alan Faneca, Torry Holt, Steve Hutchinson, Edgerrin James, John Lynch, Sam Mills, Troy Polamalu, Richard Seymour, Zach Thomas, Reggie Wayne, Bryant Young.

Criticized for what? Not having dts who could keep Kevin mawae from getting to him?

cause that’s the only dude that had an answer for zach. And that’s largely about miamis inability to keep him clean vs him.

I've been on these boards for decades... back in the day, we had the same firebombing grunts that we have now.
Posters like RootBoySlim, BoatsBoatsBoats, Sporticus were the unthinking and many of them trashed Zach constantly... repeating the same criticisms that I've listed... They swore he was the most overrated LB they'd ever seen.

Now, to be honest, I'm fuzzy on which ones of them hated Zach. Daytona might remember, or ATL or Phil... (he saves everything), but Zach was roundly criticized... and by Phins fans.

I never bought into their hyperbole... but they were partially right about Zach. He played with abandon and hit things with his head... but he could be pushed back due to his size.

Loved to watch him... but the mists of time have raised his profile.
Just like the mists have time seemed to have inflated your time on this board.

Fact of the matter is this. You're barking up the wrong tree here. And it's not just Miami fans either. Other teams fans believe he belongs there. And that's without a super bowl.

Pay attention to the usernames when reading this thread. It states the team that member is a fan of.

Just like the mists have time seemed to have inflated your time on this board.

Fact of the matter is this. You're barking up the wrong tree here. And it's not just Miami fans either. Other teams fans believe he belongs there. And that's without a super bowl.

Pay attention to the usernames when reading this thread. It states the team that member is a fan of.

Umm... there have been other boards my friend. Many here posted at the Herald... and then World Crossing. I've known some of these people for 25 years.

I hope he makes it in. He has a very good resume making 7 all nfl teams including 5 first team and is third all time in tackles. He will probably be the last Dolphin to make the hall of fame for the next 20 years at the very least

Its a freaking joke he isn't in already, Urlacher got in with about the same stats. He also didn't have to overcome a size deficiency and nobody I can remember could diagnose a play like zach thomas he was a lock to be a part of nearly every tackle..

On a sidenote I think Tim Bowens should make it at some point, DT's are underappreciated in the HOF but he was the rock that made the defense work for so many years.

Back
Top Bottom