Zach Thomas' Replacement... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas' Replacement...

Pericles349

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Let's hear some opinions. Lets make two BIG assumptions and go from there:
1. Lets assume Pope turns out be an ok LB from the few opportunities he gets in these games and next season's preseason.
2. Lets assume Moore continues to develop the way he has been.

How soon do you think the Fins will replace Thomas and who do you think they should replace him with? Pope, Moore, or someone else??

Personally, I think we should still get a solid three seasons out of Thomas and then promote him to head coach...

I think I'm probably the most vocal in this forum on doing whatever you can to get something for zach thomas. i cant say releasing him is a good idea but its something i cant shake - my perception of zach thomas's selfishness and battered body. yes, i do see three digit numbers in the total tackle column. i also see sammy knight second with total tackles but this doesnt mean that you re-sign the dude to anopther multi-year contract. sheet, not even another year. i saw you restricture ZT's contract or ask him to first. if he decides that his best interests come first, then you work withhim in order to futher his best interests with anotehr team and try to grab a pick come april from it. i dont care about you whiners and know-it-alls when it comes to the cap and all of you sentimentalists, find a girl to have a crush on. our defense with zach and his big money, can follow his defeatist attitude to more losing seasons. we should stick to developing our team through the drafts and lose some of the vets. i am not talking about surtain or madison and definitely not JT. JT would be the last to go and no, JT and ZT arent linked at the shorts.
you bring in the right guy at president or GM and i say ZT is a goner.

good thread by the way.

I have to disagree with your assessment about Thomas being selfish. Anyone who sacrifices his body in the way ZT does for the team is not selfish.. IMO.

dolfan3033 said:
I have to disagree with your assessment about Thomas being selfish. Anyone who sacrifices his body in the way ZT does for the team is not selfish.. IMO.
then place feeley in his company

history of man proves that when something gets old you replace it with something younger. those who do the opposite die before their time.

Thomas will go nowhere. even bates said pope was no thomas, so we can stop now!

NJFINSFAN1 said:
wait. we can't "stop this" in truth because we have to wait and see if thomas comes back and can play up to his numbers. then you have he rest of this year and up until 1st game of next season for any question out on ZT to be declared invalid.

Just off hand...

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a number of times over the past several years when Thomas has restructured his contract to open up CAP room. I remember a lot of times when he has left virtually everything on the field for the team. And I remember a lot of years when he was the one who fired up the defense. Now mind you, this is only an observation - but your remarks about his selfishness when he is quoted as wanting to win every game in which he plays seems to me to be based on one comment, probably out of context, in, if I recall, one interview. That is, at the most, a very small sampling of data (which could very well have been uttered during a time of complete frustration with the way this season has regressed) upon which to base any formulation of a person's makeup when compared to his complete body of work for this team. Thus, I would have to conclude that continuing to propose that his "selfishness" in wanting to win (which most competitors do, no matter what situation they are in!) seems to either be remarkably biased against Zach Thomas, or remarkable ignorant.

Zach is going nowhere and will be our starter for atleast 2 more years baring injury. I see him starting and if they don't resign Greenwood then Pope will move to the outside thus giving Zach in the middle of the terror squad. I like Moore and Pope and think they will be decent LB's but we will need to add depth.

Pericles349 said:
Let's hear some opinions. Lets make two BIG assumptions and go from there:
1. Lets assume Pope turns out be an ok LB from the few opportunities he gets in these games and next season's preseason.
2. Lets assume Moore continues to develop the way he has been.

How soon do you think the Fins will replace Thomas and who do you think they should replace him with? Pope, Moore, or someone else??

Personally, I think we should still get a solid three seasons out of Thomas and then promote him to head coach...
I do not think Pope is going to cut it in the long run.
I honestly think that it would not be a mistake, if Aaron Rodgers is off the board, to move down two or three spots and draft Derrick Johnson. He is the best "football player" in the draft this year.
My personal preferance would be to pick an OL, but Johnson is a sure fire superstar.

RevRick said:
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a number of times over the past several years when Thomas has restructured his contract to open up CAP room. I remember a lot of times when he has left virtually everything on the field for the team. And I remember a lot of years when he was the one who fired up the defense. Now mind you, this is only an observation - but your remarks about his selfishness when he is quoted as wanting to win every game in which he plays seems to me to be based on one comment, probably out of context, in, if I recall, one interview. That is, at the most, a very small sampling of data (which could very well have been uttered during a time of complete frustration with the way this season has regressed) upon which to base any formulation of a person's makeup when compared to his complete body of work for this team. Thus, I would have to conclude that continuing to propose that his "selfishness" in wanting to win (which most competitors do, no matter what situation they are in!) seems to either be remarkably biased against Zach Thomas, or remarkable ignorant.
well, rick, give me some time this morning and i will send you all that has come out of ZT's mouth which has, w/out doubt, created itself a part of my opinion, that Zach Thomas is indeed, not a spiritual part? for this Miami future. before i do look up what i no longer have at my immediate disposal, so that i can post it to you in a private message, to make sure you receive it, i'll share with you that i do not believe you can have a divided ship in order to start off right in re-building this team. we do not only need to address the talent, and coaching as well as operative scheme, we have to adress also, the attitude of this team. now, like yourself, i have been around, watching these dolphins and the way it is now, with the egotists and the disgruntled vets, who may not make the most out of a nine day trip to the west coast (which apparently, was supposed to induce a sense of team unity), this team isn;t going nowhere and very fast. i believe we need new blood and new mind. p0layers who will share time and players who will play together. an we also need our GM to keep his mouth shut, keeping discreet any of the discussions that go on behind closed doors between GM and QB (Rick's investment).
i am not ignorant of zach's play over the years as well as his current numbers which seem like he is on another upswing as of late.
what you are attacking is not so uch me or cap figures you are attacking football decision that i would make. its only a piece of a bigger picture which i have not explained nor do i see reason to explain. at this time at least, since we are talking about zach.

what if this happens:

ZT suffers career ending injury. with no restructure soon as possible (his lower body has taken a beaten this year alone, at least three injuries that i know of, including a hip) we owe him money if he gets hurt, and cant play, right?

surtain wont be here after next year. some say he's not here next year. but with one more year, we can afford to take the hit as we lose surtains salary as well.

why wouldnt one draft pick or maybe one this year one next year be worth losing zt?

i think we should rebuild cheaply through the draft.

just because we dont have our heart of the D doesnt mean we wont get to the superbowl with younger and hungrier players?

barry never got there
dan never got there

we dont need ZT. if he's not there, somebody else will make those tackles and yes, right now, its pope.

you can throw the references to my ignorance in all you want - if i take them to heart, that my friend is ignorance. to give up your beliefs for somebody else's.
i'll stick with my ignorance, you stick with yours. remember, im for the team not the player.

RevRick said:
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

WELL SAID

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Bates also wont be the HC next year, so who cares what he thinks?

Thomas will probably be the starter in 2005, and will probably be gone in 2006

Halifax said:
I do not think Pope is going to cut it in the long run.
I honestly think that it would not be a mistake, if Aaron Rodgers is off the board, to move down two or three spots and draft Derrick Johnson. He is the best "football player" in the draft this year.
My personal preferance would be to pick an OL, but Johnson is a sure fire superstar.
see rick, this is a good example of believing what is not seen yet. this guy believes contrary to expert opinion(s), popular opinion and stands by his opinion i hope. rick, you have no faith. faith is the belief in that which is not seen, the evidence of which that has not yet come to pass. you know what i mean.

ErroneousFlint said:
what if this happens:

ZT suffers career ending injury. with no restructure soon as possible (his lower body has taken a beaten this year alone, at least three injuries that i know of, including a hip) we owe him money if he gets hurt, and cant play, right?

surtain wont be here after next year. some say he's not here next year. but with one more year, we can afford to take the hit as we lose surtains salary as well.

why wouldnt one draft pick or maybe one this year one next year be worth losing zt?

we dont need ZT. if he's not there, somebody else will make those tackles and yes, right now, its pope.

QUOTE]

WHAt is he got a career ending injury??? That is the silliest thing I ever heard, you can say that about any player on the field, I guess we should trade them all then :confused:

And right now Pope is not making all the tackles. The head coach even said he is missing a lot up the middle and is better suited for Strong side LB, not middle. Again, as Bates said, he is no Zach Thomas!

Back
Top Bottom