Zach Thomas Thinks Marshall Needs To Be Signed | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas Thinks Marshall Needs To Be Signed

Gonzo, those guys are mediocre. Through like 8 weeks last season, they had about 2 TD's. Bess? Does he even average 10 yards a catch? Camarillo? C'mon are you trying to pump up Greg Camarillo? Mediocre as ****. Hartline has potential, but again, not a #1. Marshall needs to be brought in. Or can we count on Parcells for another Wilford/Turner mop this offseason? He's 2 for 2 with the 6'5" WR's.

I certainly respect ZT's opinion, but he has absolutely nothing invested in the success or failure of the aquisition of Marshall.

Why not give a first for Marshall? What you look for in a first rounder is the ability to start immediate, which Marshal would do, and to produce 6 years worth of production, which Marshall would do at an All-Pro level. The guy is 25.
I start by looking for a guy who isn't one incident away from a yearlong suspension, and isn't stupid enough to have that incident...

LOL at some of you. We desperately need a #1 WR but guys act like what we have is fine. Yeah, fine if we want to lose 9 games again.

Smarten up folks. I don't enjoy watching these loser WR's suck it up out there, we need this guy.
Well if you're really worried about losing 9 games again, then you should probably smarten up and hope we fill OLB, NT, and FS. You know, the 3 needs, that are much more glaring than WR and were the major part of us losing last year.

R&R, so being unable to pass effectively isn't a huge deal? Is that so? WR is just as important. Name the playoff teams without a solid WR.

Spending this year's, or next year's, first round pick on Marshall would be a curse. It would be all about greediness to try and get some superstar to score a bunch of TDs. And Miami would still lose games. And it would be likely that the expectations on Marshall would be ungodly. Forget it. I'm against spending first round picks on him.

????????

you'd be trading that pick in the 20's

I said to WAIT until his the broncos want a 2nd round compensation for Marshall and then trade our 12th pick DOWN into the 20-24 range to recoup the 2nd round pick that we would be giving for Marshall. There is a very good chance that one of our "needs" would be still sitting there at that spot. Weatherspoon comes to mind as does that freak TE that ran what a 4.4 40 time? Unlikely BP drafts a TE though.

At this point, the teams needing wideouts pretty much have them. Bengals signed Bryant which leaves Seattle but they aren't giving up the 6th pick and I think they have the 14th as well. Most teams are going to sit and wait until draft day when Denver may get nervous and allow him to go for a 2nd. Moss IIRC and Owens never went for a 1st round pick that I can think for when they are still in their prime. Why should Marshall?

So to recap so you understand...

Trade number 12 pick to some team in the 20-24 range for THEIR number 1 pick and a middle 2nd round selection (this is feasible based on the point system teams assign to draft order....I think the 12th pick is worth 1200 points and there is a decent decline in value after that). Trade our early 2nd round pick to Denver for Marshall. Now we still will have a late 1st round pick, Marshall and a middle 2nd round pick. Give him a new contract with an exit strategy. This is nothing new. Owens had a contract similar to this. Hell we gave one to ricky concerning money. This scenario is VERY feasible but given our past history over the past 2 decades...this WILL NOT happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
R&R, so being unable to pass effectively isn't a huge deal? Is that so? WR is just as important. Name the playoff teams without a solid WR.
Offense wasn't the problem last year. Henne had how many 300 yard passing games towards the end? And you do realize we set a franchise record for consecutive games with 30+ points before RB went down. Perhaps you should be hoping we resign RB then. Our defense was dreadful. We don't fix that before getting a WR, you'll be seeing plenty of 9 loss seasons.

Offense wasn't the problem last year. Henne had how many 300 yard passing games towards the end? And you do realize we set a franchise record for consecutive games with 30+ points before RB went down. Perhaps you should be hoping we resign RB then. Our defense was dreadful. We don't fix that before getting a WR, you'll be seeing plenty of 9 loss seasons.

True but there is no reason it couldn't happen in the manner I stated 2 posts above. A top OLB may still be on the board as maybe a top 5 NT. I have seen mocks where E. Thomas goes middle 20's as does S. Kindle. We will have to wait to see how the first 8-10 picks fall to judge what the next 10 will potentially look like. I would be very surprised if Miami at least didn't phone Denver's war room before we pick number 12.

I think we are all aware of the baggage that Marshall brings. However give his age, talent a new contract and an exit strategy, it could pay off huge especially with a young QB trying to break into the league.

Well if you're really worried about losing 9 games again, then you should probably smarten up and hope we fill OLB, NT, and FS. You know, the 3 needs, that are much more glaring than WR and were the major part of us losing last year.

How does acquiring Marshall prevent us from filling other needs? We certainly can`t fill them all with 1 draft pick.

My proposal is for our 2011 1st to go for BM, thus allowing us to get E.Thomas FS in the 1st, C.Thomas NT in the 2nd and best available OLB in the 3rd. Even if we traded this years first we still can fill two other needs and we don`t trade for Marshall we still need to use a draft pick on a WR.

So I really don`t get this arguement. I understand your hatred for BM so you don`t want him on our team, I can respect that. I don`t understand how it stops us from filling the other needs though.

dude offense was just as much part of the problem last year as defense.

we had 4 games we scored over 30. 8 times we scored 23 or less.

henne had 150 attempts in the last four games. mostly because we were trailing in them. a 300 yard passing game by the qb, does not mean we don't have serious issues at the WR position.

we had two rookie cb's last year. they will probably show some progress.
dansby upgrades the LB group. it needs more work as well, and a safety.

NT will certainly be addressed. what makes you think that by signing marshall we somehow are forced to abandon upgrading the defensive problems.

Next year's 1st will get us our franchise WR. Trading first round picks is never good, unless you have a crystal ball that says all prospects are garbage.

With this situation I feel like I'm back in the early parts of the offseason in 2007, and the Dolphins are acting all high and mighty on character issues and everyone on here is saying they wouldn't want any part of Randy Moss.

Then the Patriots get him and everyone says in unison "Oh ****".

+1, except their they could use the excuse moss was washed up because of how he played with the raiders... Marshall is clearly not washed up and is worth a #1.

Next year's 1st will get us our franchise WR. Trading first round picks is never good, unless you have a crystal ball that says all prospects are garbage.

What is that quote they use up in Chicago for the cubs??

Always next year.....hmm...they have been saying that for over 100 years...

Back
Top Bottom