Zach Thomas | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas

EddieIrvine13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Is it possible to sign Zach Thomas to a contract extension like Bowens? He would free up some cap space and wed have Thomas for a long time. We can then pick up Brockermeyer. Also lose Perry in the mix.
How much was Perry's signing bonus (how much will he cost us in the future if we dump him).
What about Rodgers? Any chance on us dumping him? Or Gardener if it means getting Brommell back. How much will they cost us if we cut them?

I got the numbers on Perry... he signed a $1.5 million signing bonus over 5 years, so he will cost us $300,000 per year for the next four years. It was a $7.6 million contract over 5 years. So we would free up about $1.2 million by cutting him. Is he worth it? Do we really want to have to pay his signing bonus over the next 4 years?

Originally posted by EddieIrvine13
I got the numbers on Perry... he signed a $1.5 million signing bonus over 5 years, so he will cost us $300,000 per year for the next four years. It was a $7.6 million contract over 5 years. So we would free up about $1.2 million by cutting him. Is he worth it? Do we really want to have to pay his signing bonus over the next 4 years?
Perry already has been paid the signing bonus, if we cut him we would have to eat the 1.2 mil remaining this year, but possibly less if we cut him after 6/1 - that's where it gets trickier than I can remember.

There was a post by DCH that said he w/b cut after 6/1

We already paid him, but the money he actually makes in a season and his cap number for that same season are 2 completely different numbers.

I don't know what the June 1st number will be. But cutting Perry today would only save us $100K. Obviously, it's gonna save more in June.

Put the question another way:

How much is Zach Thomas, bad ankles and all, worth to the Miami Dolphins?

The Steelers just went through this with Earl Holmes. He may not have the same role as Zach but the FO decided that he was asking for too much and he was gone. He signed with the Browns for 5yrs/$17M (of which he'll see approx $5M over two years if he's lucky)

Zach is currently scheduled to make:

2002 $3,950,000.00
2003 $4,700,000.00

It's a 5 year $22.5M deal with a signing bonus in the region of $9M.

Zach is now older (he'll be 29 at the beginning of this season) and assuming that he's healthy will be more expensive. I've seen a lot of people touting him as being No.2 to Ray Lewis on this board and Ray Lewis wants a LOT of money.

So how much is Zach worth?

As I recall...

Zach was restructured and his salary guaranteed last year. That is to say he's worth what he is scheduled to earn against the cap because we would lose the cap space even if we released him.

He's a star and worth every shiny cent. Looking at his performance in several goalline stands against Atlanta when he ended up doing himself an injury in the process you gotta love the guy.:D

I think when his contract ends he will agree to a 5 year 28 million dollar deal with the Dolphins and Fiedler will be released. :)

I'll wait and see what he's like when he doesn't have two stud DT's keeping the blockers off him - he just disappeared in the Ravens playoff game but I think he was injured from memory...?

Slaine,
In response to your quote about Zach without 2 big defensive tackles. In a 4-3 defensive front, I don't care how good of a linebacker you are, if you are being blocked than there is nothing you can do. All the probowl linebackers had 2 big guys in front of them. Ray Lewis had Adams and the Goose up front. Trotter had Corey Simin and another big guy, I can't remember his name. Take away those guys and they'll "disappear" too. Example, the Jet's inside linebacker. I think it was Jones, but don't remember his name though. He is a very good linebacker, but they didn't have the DT's to keep blockers off of him. Watch, if Gardener stays healthy this year, Zach will lead the league ii tackling, and probably be the pro-bowl starter. Ray Lewis will still be a force, but not as much because he lost both big guys in front of him.

it was also our style of D which was soooo conservative that if the DT did not handle the 3 interior OLmen, the LB were totally screwed because the DTs were not supposed to get penetration or to even make a tackle, they are supposed to Zach & Co. make the tackles.

Back
Top Bottom