Zach to visit Saints and Cowboys | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach to visit Saints and Cowboys

I would be surprised if he came to Dallas. I'm not really sure where he would fit in. He would not be an outside backer for sure. Then you look to the inside. Bradie James will not be benched. I guarantee it. Akin Ayodele is the only one who may have to step aside for Thomas, but even he has played solid. In fact, our LB play was one of our strongest. If we bring in Zach, ihe will be a role player. A rotational guy who doesn't see a lot of playing time. I couldn't see any team expecting him to play more than a third to a half of the plays unless he proves there will be no problems with concussions. I have a great respect for Zach Thomas, but his career could very well be over.

I hate to disagree with you, but a healthy Zach Thomas is better than most of your LB's, even at the age of 34. :wink:

Disregard that last cowboys post because its really not true, Ayodele played horrible for the majority of the year, he was out of position, and Zach Thomas would be welcomed with open arms to take his place...He does have a home here, and with our lb rotation he wouldnt be expected to play the entire game...Id love the signing personally, he should have one more year in him to play at a high level.

i hear ya! i'm not trying to stir anything up. I would Love to see Zach in Dallas.... :)

Another reason you might want it to be the Cowboys ?!?! Miami doesn't play them for at least 3 more years, which is enough time for Zach to retire for sure.

I hate to disagree with you, but a healthy Zach Thomas is better than most of your LB's, even at the age of 34. :wink:

I can respect that, but I would take Ellis, Ware, or James over him instead, if for none other than age alone. As for Longhorns fan, how do you figure he was constantly out of position? I am not saying he is a probowl caliber player, but how do you figure he was a weakness? Considering the Dallas run defense was stout, and the team was getting immense pressure, I fail to see the weak point. Not once has LB been considered a need going into the offseason. If Ayodele was so horrible, then I would figure Phillips would have tried to put Burnett or Carpenter in there to see if they could do a better job. If Thomas is signed, I feel it points more toward Carpenter being on the way out. He would provide depth. I believe he will be used in a rotation instead of a full on starter. Plus, doesn't Carpenter wear number 54 as well? With open arms, sure I'll take him, but not as a full time player. I assure you. You have to remember that he would be walking into a three four system. He is a small LB. While he will be inside, is his size coupled with being plugged into a 3-4 set at the the age of 35 with recent concussion problems going to allow him to be successful? Being a fan favorite is great, but what about the situation. I think Troy Aikman is proof enough. Loved to death in Dallas, but the concussions did him in. Granted LB and QB are different, but a LB is gonna be involved in a lot more contact than a QB. As I said, I love Zach, respect him. This isn't an "I hate zach" post. I respect him, think he is an excellent LB, but look at the situation. Will it be an upgrade, and for how long? How long does he have left? I really believe he will be brought in to be rotational. i am just trying to look at reality. Bring him in for a third to half the plays, sure, but I am not feeling too good about him taking a majority of the snaps, until it is proven that the concussions were a one time thing. I'd bet money that would be the focus of any physical he takes. I'd rather get a younger player behind to develop, but if that player isnt there until next season, then why not zack? Plus, I much rather prefer real football talk instead of such a disregarding and condescending post. Plus, you have to figure these to be real enough concerns for Miami to let him go. From what I hear about Zach, he is a very dedicated and hard worker. That's the guy Parcells likes. I understand the rebuilding hase of the project, but if he was solely looking at youth, he wouldn't be handing out invitations to Keyshawn Johnson. When he rebuilt Dallas, he didn't force Larry Allen or Darren Woodson out the door and they were well into their 30's. He brought in Richie Anderson, Vinnie Testaverde,, etc. It's clear he wants vets on the team as well, but I feel it has to be real enough concerns if Parcells was willing to let such a talented player go.

I would like to see him win a ring. NOT with Dallas though. My father -in-law is a boys fan and I don't want to hear him speak.

You are mistaken. I love me some Zach Thomas. He is the sole reason we drafted Dat Nguyen. See Jerry regretted passing on Zach over his size. So when another guy came along with the same issues but the same sort of fire, Jerry pulled the trigger and drafted Dat.

That said, Zach is a Texas Son. He is just too undersized to be playing ILB in the 3-4. He was considered undersized to be playing MLB in the 4-3.

We are having this exact debate on the Cowboys forums. I am actually amazed at how many Cowboys Fans are all over signing Zach. Thing is, I don't see how he can get on the field in Dallas.

We have 2 LBs sitting on the bench, waiting for their shot, who were drafted in the 1st round. We have another guy sitting on the bench who was drafted in the 2nd, who only sees the field on nickel downs.

It simply doesn't make sense. We would have to sit a young developing LB out longer, for an under sized LB, with some possible concussion issues, who is 34......it just doesn't make sense.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I have nothing but respect for Zach Thomas and the HOF Career he has had - it just doesn't make sense.

Back
Top Bottom